Author Topic: H-D: Rigot named assist. coach  (Read 280 times)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
  • Franchise Owner
  • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
H-D: Rigot named assist. coach
« on: May 23, 2014, 05:58:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

HUNTINGTON -- It didn't take Scott Rigot long to make an impact on Marshall University men's basketball.

Rigot was officially introduced Thursday as a member of new Thundering Herd head coach Dan D'Antoni's coaching staff, but he was already doing work before that.

Marshall's latest recruit, point guard Aleksa Nikolic from the Republic of Serbia, came aboard as a result of Rigot's strength in scouting international players, a news release from the school said.

"Scott has been all over Europe," D'Antoni said after a Thursday afternoon team workout in Cam Henderson Center. "He's knowledgeable of coaches over there and players."

Rigot, 52, has 14 seasons of experience as an NCAA Division I assistant coach at South Carolina, UAB, Hawaii, Kentucky and Duquesne. Rigot (pronounced Ree-ZJOH) is a native of Bethel Park, Pa., who came to Marshall following a few years working in China and Israel.

He was a head coach for two years in China.

"I did some consulting work in Israel after that," he said. "I had my eyes on a lot of young kids there too."

Nikolic is 6-foot-5 after growing three inches in the last year, has a 6-foot-10 wingspan and wears size 15 shoes. The native of Pancevo, Serbia, is expected to be a good fit for D'Antoni's system because he can shoot, handle and pass the basketball ball at a high level.

He put up 20.3 points, 6.4 rebounds and 8.0 assists a game for his junior club team.

"And, he hasn't stopped growing yet," Rigot said. "It has floored everyone. He was starting to draw national attention."

D'Antoni said because of legal barriers he can't predict when the recruit will arrive, but he will.

Nikolic joins 6-3 guard C.J. Burks, a West Virginia Class AAA all-state player from Hedgesville High School; 6-8 all-state forward Shane Hall from Johnson Central High School in Paintsville, Ky.; and 6-7 junior college forward Jay Johnson from Versailles, Ky., and John A. Logan College (Ill.) in the Marshall recruiting class.

"We'll bring him (Nikolic) in and give him time to adjust to the language and adjust to the speed of the game," D'Antoni said.

Hall and Johnson are expected to be on campus in June.

Rigot's coaching career also includes six seasons as a junior college head coach at Spartanburg (S.C.) Methodist from 1991 to 1996 where he posted a 158-35 record and guided the Pioneeers to the 1995 NJCAA national championship game.

During his years at Spartanburg Methodist the squad included two of D'Antoni's players from Socastee High School in Myrtle Beach.

His 2004 recruiting class at Kentucky that included Rajon Rondo was ranked No. 1 in the nation by Rivals.com.

D'Antoni's other assistants are Mark Cline, a member of former head coach Tom Herrion's staff for four seasons, and retired NBA player Chris Duhon. Director of operations John Janovsky was also retained.

SUMMER CAMPS: Marshall coaches will conduct two youth camps this summer in Cam Henderson Center. The Individual Boys Camp (age 7-17) is June 9-12 and the Little Herd Camp (boys and girls age 5-12) is July 7-10.

To sign up or get more information call the basketball office at 304-696-3769 or email Janovsky at janovsky@marshall.edu.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/marshall/x1495951380/Thundering-Herd-introduces-new-assistant-basketball-coach

HerdFans.com

H-D: Rigot named assist. coach
    « on: May 23, 2014, 05:58:30 AM »

Offline _sturt_

Re: H-D: Rigot named assist. coach
    « Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 01:14:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If I'm Rigot, I'm asking "Guys, was that really the best photo you could find in the grid... who have I already offended over there?"

HerdFans.com

Re: H-D: Rigot named assist. coach
    « Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 01:14:32 PM »