Author Topic: I wonder how the H-D advertisers feel?  (Read 690 times)

Offline Gaylen

I wonder how the H-D advertisers feel?
« on: May 23, 2014, 10:10:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • With the H-D going to pay-per-view on its web site the hits are bound to drop. I wonder how the advertisers at the web site feel with the H-D causing them (the advertisers) to get less hits?
    This pay-per-view thing is a two-edged sword ... maybe some money by people willing to subscribe (not many would be the guess) but money lost by advertisers disgruntled by fewer hits.
    I notice that the Charleston papers no loner have a story count (the number you have read and the number you have left to read for free) at their web site. Maybe they learned something with the pay-per-view experiment that the H-D will have to learn when the hits fall off.

HerdFans.com

I wonder how the H-D advertisers feel?
    « on: May 23, 2014, 10:10:30 AM »

Offline HaveUherd

Re: I wonder how the H-D advertisers feel?
    « Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 10:38:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm amazed they've stayed in business as long as they have.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 10:36:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Wheeling newspapers have gone to the same thing in the past couple weeks as well.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline lovetheherd2

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 10:43:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • With the H-D going to pay-per-view on its web site the hits are bound to drop. I wonder how the advertisers at the web site feel with the H-D causing them (the advertisers) to get less hits?
    This pay-per-view thing is a two-edged sword ... maybe some money by people willing to subscribe (not many would be the guess) but money lost by advertisers disgruntled by fewer hits.
    I notice that the Charleston papers no loner have a story count (the number you have read and the number you have left to read for free) at their web site. Maybe they learned something with the pay-per-view experiment that the H-D will have to learn when the hits fall off.

If their measuring metrics capture hits, they will soon see that many just stop viewing, over time the ad revenues will drop.

I live in Florida and was checking daily, especially in season. Will now stop for awhile, maybe once or twice a week in season until reach the 10 articles.

Did similar with both Charleston newspapers.

Herd fans has most timely and best info anyway.

OH ---- And Bring on the HERD!!!

Offline HerdFan2009

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 09:41:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm amazed they've stayed in business as long as they have.

Agreed.  Print is dying quickly even in lucrative markets.  If they want to be in business 10 years from now, they'll 1) drop the print stuff immediately (I don't know anyone under 40 that reads the physical paper unless it's laying around somewhere), 2) provide all online content for free, 3) do whatever it takes to generate higher quality in-house reporting that goes beyond local sports and drug busts so that they begin generating interest from outside the city of Huntington proper. 

Marshall football and drug trafficking can only keep a "news" organization afloat for so long. 

Offline lovetheherd2

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 10:05:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agreed.

Marshall football and drug trafficking can only keep a "news" organization afloat for so long.  

Agree -- Need a very high profile successful basketball team!   8)
    « Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 02:02:33 PM by lovetheherd2 »

Offline goherd24

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 11:09:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agreed.  Print is dying quickly even in lucrative markets.  If they want to be in business 10 years from now, they'll 1) drop the print stuff immediately (I don't know anyone under 40 that reads the physical paper unless it's laying around somewhere), 2) provide all online content for free, 3) do whatever it takes to generate higher quality in-house reporting that goes beyond local sports and drug busts so that they begin generating interest from outside the city of Huntington proper. 

They know print is dying. Thats why they are beginning to charge for online subscriptions. Futile though, open an incognito tab on your Droid,  go to this site and click the link, works perfectly and no subscription

HerdFans.com

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 11:09:23 AM »