Author Topic: H-D: Herd's new basketball coaches act as teachers  (Read 943 times)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
  • Franchise Owner
  • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
H-D: Herd's new basketball coaches act as teachers
« on: May 24, 2014, 06:21:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Teaching, teaching, teaching.

That's the concept that punctuated the Marshall basketball program's second workout under new coach Danny D'Antoni Thursday at the Henderson Center.

During two hours of enthusiastic, high-energy, up-tempo practicing, the Herd was taught.

Not just by D'Antoni, either.

At one point or another assistant coaches Mark Cline, Chris Duhon and Scott Rigot all got into the act.

First, Duhon gave an impromptu lecture on the necessary spacing between the point guard and his teammate on a pick-and-roll.

At first, MU's point guards were setting up in the middle of the floor above the top of the key.

But Duhon explained how they should be on the right side above the key to spread the floor and allow the teammate at the left elbow to have enough room to work the pick.

Next, Cline gave a detailed lesson on how to set effective screens, demonstrating the correct positioning, the physical nuances and all the little tricks that enhance screens.

Then, when the players were struggling to make shots during a short-range shooting drill, Rigot stepped in and gave a brief, but pertinent, talk about shooting.

The most positive aspect of all that?

D'Antoni lets his coaches coach.

But don't think for a minute the effervescent D'Antoni, who laid down on the court at one point in a mock show of shock, wasn't teaching, teaching, teaching in his own inimitable fashion.

"Are you bored on defense?" he hollered at one player. "Don't get bored on defense. That will cost us the damn game."

Another time he admonished a player for not taking an open shot from the perimeter.

"He didn't take that shot away from you," said D'Antoni. "And you wasted a dribble."

D'Antoni even returned to his Mullens, W.Va., roots when he got on Brett Bowling, a walk-on from Fork Union Military Academy via Wyoming East High School.

"Son, are you from Mullens?" asked D'Antoni rhetorically. "That's not how the Rebels play."

On and on, the teaching went.

So, everybody should get used to it because it's going to be the norm.

"There's going to be a lot of teaching," said D'Antoni.

"And our assistants are very good. They're very knowledgeable about this game. And they're just getting a feel for it, too.

"I get on peoples' shoulders as good as anybody. And I ride like hell if they're good.

"So, I have no problem with them stepping up and making me look good."

He was kidding about the second part.

Well, sort of.

"Hey, listen, this ain't trigonometry, boys," said D'Antoni with a grin, while speaking to the media after Thursday's practice . "Ya'll can read this and we do a lot of reads.

"So, we'll be fine. Coaches have a tendency to want to over-complicate it, so ya'll think we're smart. I'm not very smart. But I'll tell you what, I'll play hard and I'll get after peoples' butts."

That's precisely what D'Antoni is doing as he makes this Herd basketball program his own.

He kids. He cajoles. He jokes. He instructs. He teaches. And, yes, he will indeed get after peoples' butts if it's necessary.

It is his way.

His style.

It's not the Mike D'Antoni way. It's not even the Lewis D'Antoni style.

It's the Danny way.

And it's refreshing.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/marshall/x1495951552/Herds-new-basketball-coaches-act-as-teachers

HerdFans.com

H-D: Herd's new basketball coaches act as teachers
    « on: May 24, 2014, 06:21:41 AM »

Offline backontrack

Re: H-D: Herd's new basketball coaches act as teachers
    « Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 08:39:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Guess Done Deal isn't quite done yet...best effort he's had in awhile...one question, though...which message board did he steal it from???  ;D ;D ;D...

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 09:04:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have noticed that Done's Deal demeanor has changed quite a bit lately.

TRS
    MU 71

Online svherd

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 12:14:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We've needed a good teacher for quite a while.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline LUVTHATHERD

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 01:28:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have complained for two years that our basketball team lacked good fundamentals.  It is about time they are taught and reinforced.  Dan is the man to get it done.  BRING ON THE HERD!!!

Offline MUonium

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 07:41:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • makes one wonder just how far apart Herrions teaching (fundamentals) was as compared to now.  certainly Cline has the same knowledge he had during last yr.  i guess the only difference would be what and how much Herrion let him teach.  in other words, how much improvement will we actually see from those players who were on roster last yr?  i wouldn't count on any immediate miracles but i look forward to any positive change

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 02:21:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What a novel idea, teaching fundamentals. :)

TRS
    MU 71

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 11:28:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This article is indeed refreshing. I think DD is not just the right man for the job, he may end up being the PERFECT man for this job. I plan to buy season tickets for the first time in my life.

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 12:51:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good for you FlyHawk!  I have had season tickets since '75 and following the Herd since '65.

TRS
    MU 71

Offline HerdKelly

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 12:58:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am sure there were similar pieces written when Herrion first started.  Chuck probably just dusted off an old story and changed the names.

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 03:48:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks TRS. I've been to basketball games, but never felt connected enough to buy season tickets. DD has the "it" factor for me. I love the energy, passion, and brand of basketball he brings. I also love that this is where he wants to be. This is his dream job and I've never been pumped over a press conference like I was during his introduction as HC.

I'm going to jump on board, and hope for the best.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 03:48:10 PM »