Author Topic: GAZETTE: SC’s Knapper gets hoops offer from MU  (Read 2189 times)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
  • Franchise Owner
  • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
GAZETTE: SC’s Knapper gets hoops offer from MU
« on: May 24, 2014, 06:52:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

SC’s Knapper gets hoops offer from MU

South Charleston High basketball player Brandon Knapper, who just finished his sophomore year, has received a scholarship offer from Marshall, according to his family.

WVU, Maryland and Virginia have all expressed interest. Cleveland State and the Naval Academy have extended invitations for Knapper to visit their campuses.

Knapper was a first-team Class AAA all-state selection after last season and finished second in voting for the Evans Award, symbolic of the state’s best player.

State’s Falbo earns All-America honors

West Virginia State’s Josh Falbo was named honorable mention All-America by the National College Baseball Writers Association on Friday.

Falbo, a sophomore relief pitcher, set school records for single-season saves (14) and career (22) this past season. The former Hurricane High School standout posted a 0.68 earned run average, struck out 32 batters in 26 1/3 innings and opponents hit just .198 against him.

California Chrome unfazed by opossum

California Chrome was unfazed by a chance encounter with a cat-sized opossum that crossed the track Friday at Belmont Park as the Triple Crown hopeful was ending his 1 3/4-mile gallop.

Assistant trainer Alan Sherman says coyotes have appeared at California Chrome’s home track in Los Alamitos, Calif., so the opossum wasn’t a big deal.

The chestnut colt is trying to become the first horse to sweep the Kentucky Derby, Preakness and Belmont in 36 years.

HerdFans.com

GAZETTE: SC’s Knapper gets hoops offer from MU
    « on: May 24, 2014, 06:52:38 AM »

Offline Collis P

Re: GAZETTE: SC’s Knapper gets hoops offer from MU
    « Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 08:10:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not familiar with Knapper...  Size - Stats -
    S M I L E -

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 08:12:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like that DD is going after WV and area talent. He would probably go after Jon Elmore too, if he wasn't signed with VMI.

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 08:26:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Per Vingle. . .

n Word has leaked out that South Charleston standout Brandon Knapper is getting serious looks from Big 12 and Atlantic Coast Conference basketball coaches.

According to a family member, Knapper’s play in the Pittsburgh Hoop Group Jam Fest 17-under tournament prompted calls from Maryland and Virginia to Black Eagles coach Vic Herbert. WVU, including head coach Bob Huggins, has called Herbert as well. Marshall loves the kid.

When reached on Thursday, Herbert wouldn’t specifically name schools, but did confirm the increase in interest.“I’ve had a lot of contact from Division I schools,” said the coach. “I expect that to continue.”

That’s a safe bet. Knapper was a Class AAA first-team all-state selection after last basketball season. He finished second to George Washington’s Jon Elmore in the most recent voting for the Evans Award, symbolic of the state’s player of the year. And he’s just now finishing up his sophomore year.

“There’s definitely interest already,” Herbert said. “He’s skilled, and to me he’s as skilled defensively as he is offensively. He just needs to get in the weight room.”

Knapper has been playing infield for the Black Eagles baseball team, which is nice to see. He’s also playing AAU hoops for Charleston attorney Scott Long’s West Virginia Wildcats. But when Knapper gets back to Herbert’s team, he’ll notice a change in philosophy.

“We’re going to try and get him off screens more this season, rather than have him handling the ball all the time,” Herbert said. “He has a really good jump shot, but he was tired late last season because we always had him handling the ball. We kind of wore him out. That was evident in the last five games. But it was a sophomore body. Strength and maturity will help him this year.”

Overall?

“The sky’s the limit,” Herbert said. “I think he could really be good.” - See more at: http://www.wvgazette.com/article/20140522/GZ02/140529631/1115#sthash.ER9hzdUW.dpuf

Offline MUonium

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 08:19:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Offline Collis P

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 08:30:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • stats/info   https://new.berecruited.com/athletes/1218851   

Great stats - hope he likes Marshall............
    S M I L E -

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 09:41:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't know WV HS b-ball talent, but DD needs to be very careful with how many WV recruits he goes after. Unless he is getting the elite in-state D1 recruits, having a roster half filled with in-state players could bite him.  Knapper was 1st team AAA all-state as a soph so he will probably be a player if he continues developing.

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 12:58:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't know WV HS b-ball talent, but DD needs to be very careful with how many WV recruits he goes after. Unless he is getting the elite in-state D1 recruits, having a roster half filled with in-state players could bite him.  Knapper was 1st team AAA all-state as a soph so he will probably be a player if he continues developing.

No you obviously don't. We have plenty of D1 basketball talent in this state and I hope we get them all.

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 04:58:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • DD continuing to offer WV players: latest scholarship offer to soph, combo guard Chase Harler of Wheeling Central.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3431424/highlights/140097378

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 09:21:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope we can keep this guy away from the 'hole.  By the time he is a senior I believe a lot of programs will be in on this guy.

TRS
    MU 71

Offline backontrack

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 09:57:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Question--why would somebody commit to Marshall (or WVU) as a sophomore when they might eventually get recruited by someone like Duke or any number of teams higher on the food chain than us???...

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 11:12:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good point.  Maybe they want to be closer to home, I don't know.

TRS
    MU 71

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 11:12:03 AM »

Offline HerdHead

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 11:16:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • One, they may commit because the scholarship will be 'guaranteed' even if major injury occurs over the next two seasons. (Or if their athletic abilities have "peaked" at an early age and they don't improve much with age and time)

Two, they may not commit as sophomores, but they may appreciate MU being their first offer and then maintaining their level of interest over the course of time.  How many times have you heard a recruit say something like that... "Marshall has always been there"?  

Three, with these offers, Coach D'Antoni is letting everyone know where he stands with "local" talent -- he wants them, and he'll go get them.  Who knows, maybe the next Brett Nelson stays home.  

By the way, the photo in the original post is NOT Brandon Knapper.  

HerdFans.com

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 11:16:15 AM »