Author Topic: This is what we're up against...  (Read 1421 times)

Offline backontrack

This is what we're up against...
« on: May 24, 2014, 09:00:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Working feverishly to satiate my cravings for Marshall football news I found this on Athlon's Website: "Ranking College Football's Rosters for 2014"...as I looked for Marshall's inclusion in said rankings I noted that it only went to #78 (Tulane) (one behind Memphis, shockingly--the final eight were all from the AAC)...turns out that only the "real conferences" were listed...never mind that #44 (tie) Maryland was defeated by a team with clearly superior talent, despite ESPN's massive efforts to portray the Terps as the definition of walking wounded...not that this is headline news or anything, but it just points out how the elite can start off the poll season in the Top 10 while the Little Sisters of the Poor have to hope that they can build upon a handful of AP voters to push them into the Top 25--if they're lucky...I like Athlon's College Preview (it usually arrives this weekend), but I'd like to punch the guy who wrote the article in the mouth...

HerdFans.com

This is what we're up against...
    « on: May 24, 2014, 09:00:53 AM »

Offline The Right Stuff

Re: This is what we're up against...
    « Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 09:06:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Win them all and let everyone else worry about us.

TRS
    MU 71

Offline jstherd

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 09:25:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great post backontrack.

Offline sportswatcher247

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Practice Squad
    • Member Since 12/2011
    « Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 10:01:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I bought the Athlon preview on Monday. They predict Marshall to go 13-0, win the conference and play Georgia in the Peach Bowl.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 10:10:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I bought the Athlon preview on Monday. They predict Marshall to go 13-0, win the conference and play Georgia in the Peach Bowl.

Atlanta would be a great destination for New Year's Eve. Many, many Herd fans could make that trip. It will be interesting, however, how many will be willing to cough up over $200 each for tickets?
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline sportswatcher247

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Practice Squad
    • Member Since 12/2011
    « Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 10:41:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Living 3 hours away, I can assure that I would be there!

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 10:48:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Living 3 hours away, I can assure that I would be there!

I would too, but you know you would hear all kinds of crying, even though we would be playing in our biggest bowl game ever.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline goherd24

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 11:07:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I would be there for sure. And those are the expectations we all should have for this team. Lets hope they come to fruition and herd land will be a bright place again in the world of college football.

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 11:11:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Although it would be nice to start out in the top 25, it's not a necessity.  I'm sure last pre-season Maryland was ranked ahead of us, but it didn't mean a thing by year end.  Win them all and we will be in the top 25 at season's end.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 11:17:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Although it would be nice to start out in the top 25, it's not a necessity.  I'm sure last pre-season Maryland was ranked ahead of us, but it didn't mean a thing by year end.  Win them all and we will be in the top 25 at season's end.

It does mean something though. In no scenario other than losing 2 or more games would we ever not make the top 25 by year end. If we start at say, 29 getting votes, we will be in the top 25 after 2 or 3 weeks. If we start out of the comversation all together, it will take until game 5 to even get votes and even longer to break into the top 25. Whereas, in the first scenario,  we are top 20 after 6 games and climbing.

It is important for us to be in the spotlight to get the access bowl over Cincy/UCF. I no longer worry about Boise with Peterson gone. Or fresno with carr gone. Its a 3 horse race IMO.

Offline svherd

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 12:12:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would too, but you know you would hear all kinds of crying, even though we would be playing in our biggest bowl game ever.

Please, do we even have to go there! Geezus.
    Let it go and enjoy the season. We can't control what others do.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 01:12:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How did that work out for Georgia the last time they faced CUSA in a Bowl?

Houston will give UCF and Cincy a run for their money?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 01:12:07 PM »

Offline goherd24

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 02:04:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How did that work out for Georgia the last time they faced CUSA in a Bowl?

Houston will give UCF and Cincy a run for their money?

I don't think so on Houston. I think Cincy wins it but none of them will go unscathed. Thats why its so important for us to start in or near the top 25. A 1 loss aac champion could veey easily be chosen for the access bowl over us. We need to hve the spotlight and be a media darling to help our cause with the committee

Offline backontrack

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 02:06:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • UC WILL NOT BEAT OSU...take that one to the bank...that eliminates them automatically...

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 03:27:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • UCF beat the coogs 5 pts at Orlando last yr...this yr in Houston in a new facility but most imp is Houston returns more than either of the other two

Offline goherd24

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2014, 12:31:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • UC WILL NOT BEAT OSU...take that one to the bank...that eliminates them automatically...

1 loss AAC still gets more respect than an undefeated cusa with no power 5 on schedule IMO.

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 09:52:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 1 loss AAC still gets more respect than an undefeated cusa with no power 5 on schedule IMO.

We can't do anything about how poll voters feel about AAC teams.  We just need to worry about us, and not having any letdowns that could cost us games.  We probably would have gotten more respect this pre-season if we would have only lost 1 game last season, but there's nothing we can do about that now either.

Online 2xBison

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2014, 01:24:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The AAC may get more respect but at end of the day I don't think it's enough respect for a one loss AAC to get the nod over a CUSA undefeated all things being equal.....that is neither plays and beats power 5.  That would be a giant kick in the nuts if it's the case.

Hopefully cusa will begin gaining respect this year led by the Herd
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline goherd24

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 02:04:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The AAC may get more respect but at end of the day I don't think it's enough respect for a one loss AAC to get the nod over a CUSA undefeated all things being equal.....that is neither plays and beats power 5.  That would be a giant kick in the nuts if it's the case.

Hopefully cusa will begin gaining respect this year led by the Herd

Hope so. We need some conference mates to step up in OOC to help us out. We cant be the only one doing exceptional or they write it off as a weak conference. If we have several teams 3-1 or 4-0 and only 1 or 2 worse than 2-2 going into cusa play that would help the case.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 02:04:57 PM »