Author Topic: It's the schedule, stupid...  (Read 8317 times)

Offline QuickStrike

Re: It's the schedule, stupid...
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2014, 12:36:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• 2015 is Purdue and two Macs and one Fcs
    2016 is UL, one Mac
    2017 is two Macs
    2018 is one Mac
    2019 OPEN
    2020 is Ecu
    2021 is Ecu and Navy
    2022 Navy
    we look forward to a stable  ???  ::)  :o  >:(  NCAA  ;D and reasonable, future herd schedules

Ugh.....not much to get excited about.  2015 not too bad considering we will have a new starting QB.  Hold steady and get the program built up to where we enjoy annual double digit wins.  This will make the fans happy and get our publicity back up.  WVU will continue to suffer with their over-scheduling.  WVU will eventually capitulate and go 1-1 with Marshall if they get tired of our renewed success.  An OOC schedule with Ohio, WVU, AAC team (ECU, UCF, Cin, Lou) and a mid to lower tier team out of one of the big confs would be good for us.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2014, 12:36:27 PM »

Offline ThunderValley

« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2014, 12:45:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ugh.....not much to get excited about.  2015 not too bad considering we will have a new starting QB.  Hold steady and get the program built up to where we enjoy annual double digit wins.  This will make the fans happy and get our publicity back up. 

I think that is one of the keys to our future success. Winning games and getting our name back into the spotlight.
    College football fans remember the Marshall years. If we can get back into the spotlight our reputation will renew itself.

The schedule is what it is. They will rank or not rank accordingly. The goal for Marshall Football must be to win what is scheduled. The rest will take care of itself.

Offline ed swain

« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2014, 12:57:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am really excited about this years team.We can not do anything about rankings.So lets just enjoy what we have and be happy with it.14-0 should be enough for us to be happy with.Lets let Hamrick worry about the schedule.

Online svherd

« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2014, 01:07:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can't believe all the fans who didn't get excited in '99. Hard to fathom.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2014, 01:12:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For those who prefer not to read my thousand words, here's a picture...

And as stated previously, to be clear, the problem being addressed in this thread isn't with the AD's long-term OOC scheduling.

Rather, it's the other part...

The long-term problem inherent with trading our CUSA 2.0 schedule that featured what are now largely AAC programs for a CUSA 3.0 schedule that consists of programs that might have a bright future, but because they all... ALL... have no history of playing at even a MAC level, "might" is, unfortunately for us, the accurate term.

Yes, there's the other side of the same coin... we perceive an opportunity to go undefeated like we haven't had since Chad was suiting up for us... but that short-term blessing belies the long-term curse.

The analogy is this... stand on top of a desk and try grabbing your friend's hand and pull them up to your level... not impossible... but substantially more likely is that, in the effort, they'll end up pulling you down to their level instead.

God knows, too, few of us will be surprised to see a Marshall team somehow slip up in a trap game... of which there will be several this season. It's not nice to think about, but the bubble could so so easily burst with one untimely fumble or interception or missed CB assignment or offensive line assignment that ends with Cato taking a hit that puts him out for the season.... at which point, reality would snap fans' collective head back into place, fully absorbing suddenly the stark reality of the long-term issues that we have to address if we're going to have a shot at preserving our shot at the CFP bowl and, with it, the prestige of our program.

...all we can do is win...

Of course, we all know that neither you, me, nor anyone else can win. That's on the players and coaches exclusively.

But what can we do? As stated in a previous post, there are at least three strategies that could be pursued to put us in a stronger position than we are now to compete for the CFP bowl. That's our area. That... idea generation and advocacy... is our part. That's where we can have an effect. But we won't unless we embrace it.

Look, thankfully, we're past the point that anyone is resisting acknowledging that we're in a disadvantaged position... the problem is there staring us in the face. Would I anticipate that there would be a solid number of cynics out there throwing up their hands and saying let the chips fall where they may? Would I anticipate many would excuse themselves from being an advocate for change? Of course. I didn't find this board yesterday. I know how most are. But to this degree? No. Not to this degree.

It's disappointing to see a community with such a can-do history seeming to fade into this MAC-fan-like malaise... "hey, we are what we are, and we're powerless to do anything, so I might as well love playing schools that used to be Sun Belt... love playing schools that used to be FCS... love playing schools that are just starting programs."

I realize those words are vinegar instead of honey, but it's honest and I'm just not into playing salesman and throwing sugar on top. It's all just frustrating to see. Baffling. Disturbing. Since entering the SoCon in the early 80s, I don't recall ever seeing this helpless, MAC-fan-like attitude arise.

I can't say it enough... "win Baby"... yes, absolutely.

"Just" Win Baby? *sigh*... no. That's a cop-out.

You're letting our players down by pretending it's only about what they do on the field.

True, none of us individually have decision-making power that we can snap our fingers and make things as we wish them to be.

But as a group, we all have to be willing to accept that that doesn't relieve us of our responsibility to do what we can, which is to be off-the-field, loud-and-proud advocates of change, creating an environment where presidents and conference execs take notice and feel they have latitude to try things that may represent out-of-the-box thinking... so that our players have the very best opportunity they can receive to perform on the biggest stage within their grasp to play on.

These are on the table:

(1) cooperation with MAC in the creation of a formal progression/relegation format yielding a high-end 8 team league that would place the two leagues' best on-par with AAC and MWC;

(2) cooperation with MAC in the creation of an arrangement that would establish a game between our two champions, serving as an end-of-year springboard such that one or the other would be a viable candidate beside the AAC and MWC champs for the CFP bowl;

(3) simply staying in-house and giving ADs maximum control over their own schedules, requiring only the mandated minimum number of in-conference games.

What else? Whose ego out there isn't so squishy and squeamish that you don't mind being a target of the cynics here who will shoot down your potentially-consequential ideas? C'mon. Care more about this program than your own ego. We can't eliminate the cynics, but they and their can't-do MAC-fan-like attitude aren't going to make the difference.

Step forward and add to the menu of possible solutions to this problem that confronts our program and its players... or alternatively, get behind one of the three above. I don't care either way. Just do something more than sitting back in your EZBoy like some others appear to be content to do, oblivious to what's on our horizon.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 01:24:09 PM by _sturt_ »

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2014, 05:24:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Recent posts prompted me to think about the likelihood that BYU might be inclined to consider reuniting with us for a future date... turns out that, indeed, there's reason to speculate they could be open to that: What the new SEC scheduling rules means for BYU football

Offline ought-three

« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2014, 05:49:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "To be the man, you gotta beat the man."

- Nature Boy Ric Flair

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2014, 05:52:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

- Nature Boy Ric Flair

Can we please get the man to fight us at our house for every time we fight him at his house?  ;D

Offline MUonium

« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2014, 09:35:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

- Nature Boy Ric Flair

you do realize pro wrestling is fake, right, that nobody has every beaten anybody? maybe not the the best motivational mentor ;D 

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2014, 01:07:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For those who prefer not to read my thousand words, here's a picture...

I see sturt's handle then a photo of an ass. Finally a post from sturt that makes sense and one I can agree with.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2014, 01:57:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2014, 02:01:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Never heard back on this from awhile back...

Trying to cut through your incessant babbling. No shortage of insults, little substance. My bet was fairly clear, your rambling is vague as usual. What exactly are you offering as the measurable terms of any bet?

barry, do you get it that I didn't insult you?... that, rather, ought-three's original post answered what you "wondered," and given it's title, it's hard to have "wondered" unless you didn't bother reading the topic you clicked on?... I'm not sure you do.

As to the terms I would endorse in a bet, maybe what I just posted in response to Dunk helps... if not, I've got nothing for you... but if so, and if you actually think there's a chance I'd be proven wrong, let's go for it, friend.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2014, 02:01:09 PM »

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2014, 02:36:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Never heard back on this from awhile back...

barry, do you get it that I didn't insult you?... that, rather, ought-three's original post answered what you "wondered," and given it's title, it's hard to have "wondered" unless you didn't bother reading the topic you clicked on?... I'm not sure you do.

As to the terms I would endorse in a bet, maybe what I just posted in response to Dunk helps... if not, I've got nothing for you... but if so, and if you actually think there's a chance I'd be proven wrong, let's go for it, friend.

In post 12 on this thread you post a quote of me, then you post the quote that reads “it’s the schedule, stupid” in direct response and you say you weren’t being insulting? You’re now being completely dishonest as well as insulting.

As to the bet, my offer was very clear and measurable. Since you didn’t accept the bet,for the second time, what is the clear measurable counter bet?  State  it clearly and precisely up front now. Don’t make vague statements now then come back in Jan arguing you won a bet you didn’t clarify the terms on now.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2014, 03:17:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wonder how people can look back on a team that was ranked 29 with a 10-4 record and predict next year we’ll be out of the top 25 with a 13-0 record. Strikes me that some people want to divorce themselves from reality and whine no matter what.

So, you "wondered"... and yet... the person who, ironically enough Mr. Sensitive, you kinda sorta insulted by indicating that last part had said fairly clearly by virtue of the thread's title...

It's the schedule, stupid...

...and again the body of the original post...

There's only one reason - schedule.

And it's all my fault that you're whinin er, upset, for pointing out the discrepancy.

...hehe... oh... okay... we know how you roll, eh?...

As for the bet?...

"...maybe what I just posted in response to Dunk helps... if not, I've got nothing for you..."

Need reminding? Okay, I'll humor you this time, but you really could've read it for yourself in the first place, and it's not all that important to me either way whether you want to bet on this or not.

"...Dunk, I'm not sure you've been exposed to the several posts over the last several months that have indicated a disturbingly MAC-fan-like contentment with this conference (and naturally, the opponents we are expected to play year-in-year-out) as-is. Those many posts stand in opposition to your assumption that you're speaking for them in suggesting that "we all want to reach for the stars."

To the contrary, even in this very thread, there is a sentiment that striving for the CFP Bowl berth is beyond us... and it's just not. There's a satisfaction with Top 25 as-if that's all we can hope for... and it's just not. If you can agree on those points, we have common ground... if not, we don't, and you essentially align yourself with the MAC-like contingent.

I'm inclined to think that you, as others seem to have, read a few lines and thought you understood the point of the post... but if you didn't recognize that those first lines were a premise to the real focus/conclusion, my message just didn't get through... if I'm to blame for that, so be it... but then, let me just say again...

Quote from: _sturt_ on May 25, 2014, 09:33:39 PM
    "Win Baby"... yes, absolutely.

"Just" Win Baby? *sigh*... that phrase is going to haunt so many of you when, at the end of this season, we're undefeated and see ourselves looking up at 1-3 other Go5 schools who lost one or more..."

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #89 on: May 28, 2014, 03:41:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If we go undefeated we will have done all we can do and at very worst will have the right to bitch. Sometimes that's all you get, but we would have a pretty good case.

Our team will have done great if they control only what they can control.

Offline lovetheherd2

« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2014, 04:32:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If we go undefeated we will have done all we can do and at very worst will have the right to bitch. Sometimes that's all you get, but we would have a pretty good case.

Our team will have done great if they control only what they can control.

And I for one will REALLY enjoy the effort and accomplishment greatly.   :D

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2014, 04:44:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You're letting our players down by pretending it's only about what they do on the field.

True, none of us individually have decision-making power that we can snap our fingers and make things as we wish them to be.

But as a group, we all have to be willing to accept that that doesn't relieve us of our responsibility to do what we can, which is to be off-the-field, loud-and-proud advocates of change, creating an environment where presidents and conference execs take notice and feel they have latitude to try things that may represent out-of-the-box thinking... so that our players have the very best opportunity they can receive to perform on the biggest stage within their grasp to play on.

These are on the table:

(1) cooperation with MAC in the creation of a formal progression/relegation format yielding a high-end 8 team league that would place the two leagues' best on-par with AAC and MWC;

(2) cooperation with MAC in the creation of an arrangement that would establish a game between our two champions, serving as an end-of-year springboard such that one or the other would be a viable candidate beside the AAC and MWC champs for the CFP bowl;

(3) simply staying in-house and giving ADs maximum control over their own schedules, requiring only the mandated minimum number of in-conference games.

(4, new) cooperation with MAC in the creation of, what amounts to, two challenge games pitting equivalently-ranked teams against each other after in-conference division play is completed, plus establishment of a similar Saturday when equivalently-ranked CUSA teams are pitted against each other;

What else? Whose ego out there isn't so squishy and squeamish that you don't mind being a target of the cynics here who will shoot down your potentially-consequential ideas? C'mon. Care more about this program than your own ego. We can't eliminate the cynics, but they and their can't-do MAC-fan-like attitude aren't going to make the difference.

Step forward and add to the menu of possible solutions to this problem that confronts our program and its players... or alternatively, get behind one of the three four above. I don't care either way. Just do something more than sitting back in your EZBoy like some others appear to be content to do, focused only on this season and oblivious to what's on our horizon.
    « Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 04:48:25 PM by _sturt_ »

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2014, 04:46:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And I for one will REALLY enjoy the effort and accomplishment greatly.   :D

LTH2, where'd you go? I thought we were having a purposeful dialogue (?).

Offline ought-three

« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2014, 05:38:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If we go undefeated we will have done all we can do and at very worst will have the right to bitch.

That sums it up right there.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2014, 06:09:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not.

Let's be real. The players and coaches will have. None of us will have done all we can do.

Right to bitch? Again, let's be real. No one has the right to bitch who hasn't also somehow put some effort in improving the players' lot.

Will they do it anyway? Sure.

But when asked what did you do in the smallest way to help advocate for change in the structure for future teams then (?), their only legit answer will be "Help? Hell, to the contrary, I was busy writing cynical replies on a message board to anyone who dared suggest any ideas... that's just what I did, and, yes, I was quite proud to have done my part to work against any such talk."

I might have to write a book someday about the interesting but twisted evolution of Marshall fans into the very MAC fans they once were so repulsed by. *disappointed smirk*

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2014, 06:35:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can we make message boards like twitter?  You only get so many key strokes to get message out?
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline goherd24

« Reply #96 on: May 28, 2014, 06:42:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not.

Let's be real. The players and coaches will have. None of us will have done all we can do.

Right to bitch? Again, let's be real. No one has the right to bitch who hasn't also somehow put some effort in improving the players' lot.

Will they do it anyway? Sure.

But when asked what did you do in the smallest way to help advocate for change in the structure for future teams then (?), their only legit answer will be "Help? Hell, to the contrary, I was busy writing cynical replies on a message board to anyone who dared suggest any ideas... that's just what I did, and, yes, I was quite proud to have done my part to work against any such talk."

I might have to write a book someday about the interesting but twisted evolution of Marshall fans into the very MAC fans they once were so repulsed by. *disappointed smirk*
    Youve got the material all here in any 3 posts sturt. Just put them in a hard cover and sell it on amazon haha.

Oh boy, I can't wait until fall

HerdFans.com

« Reply #96 on: May 28, 2014, 06:42:44 PM »

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2014, 06:54:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can we make message boards like twitter?  You only get so many key strokes to get message out?

hehe... actually not a bad idea... since some need to take it one thought at a time, I suppose those who develop a line of reasoning could just post 10 times instead of once... or maybe there could be a HerdFans twitter thingee so people preferring 140 characters can have that option.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2014, 07:00:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Youve got the material all here in any 3 posts sturt. Just put them in a hard cover and sell it on amazon haha.

Oh boy, I can't wait until fall

Occasionally, even, just one. :)

24, you got me intrigued with your PM, and I confess I was looking forward to some response to my question (i.e., the one asking for an example).
    « Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 07:17:55 PM by _sturt_ »

Offline lovetheherd2

« Reply #99 on: May 28, 2014, 08:18:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • LTH2, where'd you go? I thought we were having a purposeful dialogue (?).

Stuart, apologies in advance, your idea of purposeful dialogue -- from my perspective, only serves to give you a platform to pontificate. It doesn't add $$$$$  and personal involvement to the effort and in my mind, that's what Mother Marshall Athletics needs big time.

So, I choose to close the dialogue, enjoy the ride while we have it and continue to make every effort to recruit Big Green donors, individual sport contributors (Quarterback Club, Tipoff Club, Dugout Club, etc). Money talks, BS walks......... And so does dialogue.

Peace and hope your pocketbook is as enthusiastic as your "dialogue" as you describe it.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #99 on: May 28, 2014, 08:18:03 PM »