Author Topic: It's the schedule, stupid...  (Read 8301 times)

Offline goherd24

Re: It's the schedule, stupid...
« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2014, 11:26:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ["By posting manifestos on a message board?"

That's what you call it, ostensibly for the purpose of denigrating my arguments for being proactive about the scheduling problem... which is pretty much like suggesting that Doc thinks its enough to write a list of the recruits he's targeting for next February today.

But that's silly. Any basically intelligent person knows that it's just the first step."]

That is the problem with your posts sturt. you go out of your way to try to use words like those when they aren't needed.. Let me rephrase to bring your posts down to earth a little. It reads much better and is much more appropriate for a message board. Remember, for everyone here but you, currently, this isn't a platform for a dissertation with every response.

"Thats what you call it, maybe just for the purpose of criticizing my stance for wanting to do something about the scheduling problem."

This thread needs to die. But I am enjoying some of these posts sturt, u are steadfast on your point of view. Haha
    « Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 11:32:30 PM by goherd24 »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2014, 11:26:56 PM »

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2014, 11:45:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 24 you know my retort... errrr... response to that before I even peck it out on this here daggone kindle... there, I figure interjecting a daggone ought to give SOME satisfaction.  :P

And yeah these meaningless sidebars... errrr... side comments if you prefer... errrr... like it better... should die. But I understand the rhetorical strategy.... errrrrr... how bout debate club reason for it. Deflection to an art form.

Online banker

« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2014, 11:53:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sturt, you have been given several valid reasons why your plan is a non-starter.  Just because you don't want to accept or disprove those points doesn't mean they are sidebars or attempts at misdirection.  It's just your defense mechanism to declare them as such.  I notice you have posted in this thread several times while ignoring my response to your newest iteration of your plan.  Taking some time to think through that one?

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2014, 11:57:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • everyone, let it die a quiet passing. Anything else is giving a platform for performance. >:(

hehe... yeah... and Mr. President, I sure hope that Sebelius thing works out for you... speaking of "performances.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #129 on: May 30, 2014, 12:14:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sturt, you have been given several valid reasons why your plan is a non-starter.  Just because you don't want to accept or disprove those points doesn't mean they are sidebars or attempts at misdirection.  It's just your defense mechanism to declare them as such.  I notice you have posted in this thread several times while ignoring my response to your newest iteration of your plan.  Taking some time to think through that one?

Moses honestly I haven't looked but only because Im sure I already know what's there... I appreciate your overwhelming optimism about the concept but I'm looking for some stronger criticism than, given your amiable nature, you are capable of providing.

More seriously, I think I can feel pretty good about the patience I 've givn to you. In that I've respected you enough to respond to your inquiries. You? Not so much.

Thus... line drawn.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #130 on: May 30, 2014, 12:21:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 24 you know my retort... errrr... response to that before I even peck it out on this here daggone kindle... there, I figure interjecting a daggone ought to give SOME satisfaction.  :P

And yeah these meaningless sidebars... errrr... side comments if you prefer... errrr... like it better... should die. But I understand the rhetorical strategy.... errrrrr... how bout debate club reason for it. Deflection to an art form.

I see progress in this post! Haha. Good work Sturt. By the way, I don't have a dog in this fight so I am not deflecting. I feel this is a pointless debate. I believe Hamrick is scheduling as good as he can for us, weak or not, and a fairy dust conference alliance is out of the question, no matter how much sense it makes. Kind of like how we should never let the government run any program snd should privatize about everything and save a ton of money and do it better....but it wont happen.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #131 on: May 30, 2014, 12:31:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thumbs and wrists too tired to go on but... no surprise I'm sure... I do want to build on something you said here.

G'nite.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #132 on: May 31, 2014, 01:00:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I see progress in this post! Haha. Good work Sturt. By the way, I don't have a dog in this fight so I am not deflecting. I feel this is a pointless debate. I believe Hamrick is scheduling as good as he can for us, weak or not, and a fairy dust conference alliance is out of the question, no matter how much sense it makes. Kind of like how we should never let the government run any program snd should privatize about everything and save a ton of money and do it better....but it wont happen.

1. No one. least of all yours truly, calling into question Hamrick's scheduling.

2. Things like conference alliances... say, like Notre Dame aligning with the ACC... are always out of the question until you read about them on ESPN.com, and then people come out of the woodwork saying, "That's a great idea. Why didn't they do that a long time ago," or otherwise "I predicted ages ago that that would happen. It just made too much sense." And it seems so many are just unaware... we happen to have a commish who within the last 18 months has openly acknowledged his recognition that his conference needs a little help in football, and about his behind-the-scenes work to create some new structure to even the playing field. (If you've followed my posts, this isn't news to you... search on HerdFans.com for Banowsky with my username, and you'll find those.) Point being... nothing's happened, but that doesn't mean that conversations aren't being had, and the potential for something to come of those discussions omnipresent... er... how about... always lurking out there. ;)

3. The whole contention that you, me, or anyone else on this board can accurately predict what will occur in this realm over the next 6 months, let alone 60 months, ought to have been blown away when we all witnessed for ourselves that a school based in Boise, Idaho... s'helpme... and another based in San Diego, CA... s'helpme... signed up for competition in a conference called the Big East. EAST... s'helpme.

So, no. While I'll joke with you and others about it, more soberly, it's absolutely without credibility to keep making these fairy dust and unicorn allegations Truth is, practically everything is possible, or at least that almost none of us really understand where the boundaries are, i.e., sufficient to be making grandiose pronouncements about what is within the realm of reality. Some number of those things that make sense, especially financially, will eventually come to be. The only constant, especially where college football is concerned, is change.

4. Hold up on that last analogy. First, if it weren't for you and others digging in and pushing for federal fiscal thrift, we may already be in a Greece-like situation. Don't think that, because you never can completely win the war that winning the battles that you do aren't important. Application to this current situation is, if you just allow things to go without giving your perspective any voice, then having offered no input whatsoever, you're just as bad as the ones who drove things into the ground. The absentees have no excuse.

That's been much of my message in this thread, of course. One doesn't get to claim credit for bettering the program because s/he was so daring as to encourage the team to win... as-if that's not what every other fan in any sport in the world does. One salesman in this thread argues that the solution to everything is throwing money at our problems... incredibly... or un-credibly... even our scheduling problem... a matter of how the conference conducts its season can be resolved by throwing money at it, after, of course, he's raised it. Money is important, but there are selected areas where it doesn't actually hold any sway, and this is one. To-date, he still refuses to get real and acknowledge the truth.

5. Breaking away from sports into politics, some things but not everything is best addressed through the profit motive. Where there's a logical profit motive, I routinely agree. But there are societal needs that are best addressed by all of us contributing money into the pot to meet them.... but this, we can take up in a PM exchange sometime or over on the Tavern board, assuming we think differently in some way.
    « Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 01:02:11 PM by _sturt_ »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #132 on: May 31, 2014, 01:00:04 PM »