Author Topic: ESPN's McMurphy has the Herd in the Peach vs Auburn  (Read 976 times)

HerdFans.com

ESPN's McMurphy has the Herd in the Peach vs Auburn
« on: May 27, 2014, 10:56:17 AM »

Offline MUsince96

Re: ESPN's McMurphy has the Herd in the Peach vs Auburn
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 01:27:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Athlon has us in the Peach vs. Georgia.

Online IM4DHERD

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 03:18:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Starting with the 2014 season, the bowl will feature College Football Playoff matchups, with the 2016, 2019, 2022, and 2025 games hosting a national semifinal, with matchups in all years selected by the playoff selection committee.[3] In conjunction with its inclusion in the playoff system, the game returning to the Peach Bowl name on April 21, 2014 and the teams playing in the bowl will be selected by the CFP Selection Committee.[4]

So these guys are expecting us to be the top ranked out of the Group of 5 if we are in a playoff bowl (even though the winner doesn't advance in this case)...

The highest-ranked champion from the so-called "Group of Five" mid-major conferences (American Athletic Conference, Conference USA, MAC, Mountain West, and Sun Belt) is guaranteed a berth if the group's top team is not in the playoff.[50]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Football_Playoff
    « Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 04:44:46 PM by IM4DHERD »
    Make a difference...Join the Big Green

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 03:54:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I guess if you're looking for something/someone to hang your hat on, you found it, IM4. It's true that, that we're even being mentioned by someone out there is something to feel good about. Good to know that McMurphy... who no kidding, deserves a lot of respect at least in terms of reporting since he's been on the front end of so much of the realignment stories of the last two years, particularly Boise's soap opera... thinks an undefeated team from CUSA 3.0 will win the hearts and minds of the CFP committee over any MWC or AAC or MAC team.

I'm sure you won't mind if I lend some balance... just taking whatever comes from googling "bowl projections" postings from the last month...

ESPN: Marshall (McMurphy)

ESPN: Cincinnati (Schlabach) (... and has Herd vs. Toledo in Bahamas)

CBS: Cincinnati (... and has the Herd vs. San Diego St. in HoDallas)

National Football Post: Houston (... and has Herd vs. Fresno St. in HoDallas)

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 03:58:19 PM by _sturt_ »

Online IM4DHERD

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 04:27:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not looking to hang a hat on anything...Just the facts Ma'am.  Pointing out that the Peach is now considered just as prestigious, in regards to the current setup, as the Fiesta was when it became a BCS bowl and that an ESPN College Football reporter/analyst predicts we will be there as the highest ranked of the Go5.

If I would make any assumptions, it would be that SOS will hurt us in this regard as it is a stated objective for the group making the calls starting this year to strongly consider SOS in making their decisions.  I expect us to be in Dallas come bowl time, which would be the best available to us outside of the top 6 "playoff" bowls.

Add Athlon to your list as having us in the Peach as well.
    « Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 04:35:49 PM by IM4DHERD »

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 04:54:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Will take your word for it on Athlon... they don't share that info online, as best I could tell.

I'm glad to see the Peach ended up getting elevated, as well as the Cotton. In fact, when some of us were kids, the Cotton Bowl had every bit as much prestige as the Sugar and Orange... and the Fiesta was considered a notch below. Also glad to see "Peach" again instead of Chick-Fil-A Bowl.

Offline backontrack

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 06:18:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just don't see UC beating OSU or the Miami Hurricanes...and at 10-2 (at best) I don't see them as the #1 NQ (or whatever you want to call them)...

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 07:16:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Cincy was hammered in their bowl by UNC who lost at home to ECU by 30. They finish with Houston at home. Houston the more likely AAC  of the two. UCF has Penn St and Missouri and Houston and finishes with ECU.  They could all have 2 or more losses. Hard to predict what would ensue if that happens and we are perfect. But Cato could be blind sided and all this not matter much. But its fun what iffing.

Offline pdunn

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 10:50:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I'm glad to see the Peach ended up getting elevated, as well as the Cotton. In fact, when some of us were kids, the Cotton Bowl had every bit as much prestige as the Sugar and Orange... and the Fiesta was considered a notch below. Also glad to see "Peach" again instead of Chick-Fil-A Bowl.

In those days the conference tie-ins prevented a "true" national title game too many times.  Cotton got the Southwest champ, Orange the Big 8, Rose the Pac 10 and Big 10, and Sugar the SEC.  The Fiesta, though, had no tie ins, so if two independents were ranked way up there they could put together as good a matchup as any of the other bowls and toward the end of the old system before the "bowl coalition" they did it a few times.  In those days Florida State, Miami, Penn St., Notre Dame, and a bunch of others were independents.  That's how the Fiesta got big.
    "On rainy days, the early justices would enliven case conferences with wine. On other days, even if the sun was shining, Chief Justice John Marshall would order wine anyway, saying, 'Our jurisdiction is so vast that it must be raining somewhere.' "

Offline backontrack

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 05:48:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Fiesta was also an extra home game for ASU, this at a time where Frank Kush and Company were just getting good and coming onto the national radar...

Online IM4DHERD

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 10:49:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not sure what the CUSA revenue sharing plan is, but we'd reap $4M for the Peach Bowl (non-semifinal in 2014/15) -

Playoff participants will receive $6 million, while the other eight bowl squads will receive $4 million. There is no additional payment for advancing to the title game, and the payout formula to the leagues is nearly determined, executive director Bill Hancock told The Gazette this week.

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 10:54:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I bet greenbison60 is flipping out the football team is getting this sort of notice early on.  even with the schedule he constantly bombarded us with as being high school.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 10:54:51 AM »

Offline iherdya

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 11:03:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not sure what the CUSA revenue sharing plan is, but we'd reap $4M for the Peach Bowl (non-semifinal in 2014/15) -

I *THINK* in the new system, that $4m would go to us directly, then CUSA would get a different amount that'd be split between the other teams in the conference. It's all confusing, and I don't think things have been 100% decided yet though

HerdFans.com

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 11:03:07 AM »