Author Topic: H-D: D'Antoni sends Herd to school  (Read 1197 times)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
  • Franchise Owner
  • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
H-D: D'Antoni sends Herd to school
« on: May 28, 2014, 04:37:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

HUNTINGTON -- Marshall Thundering Herd men's basketball players are learning from their new coaches and having fun doing it.

Marshall's first two summer workouts had 11 players on the Cam Henderson Center court getting direction from head coach Dan D'Antoni and his assistants.

"I like the energy," said forward Ryan Taylor. "We're bringing the enthusiasm."

"I feel like everybody is going to benefit from it," guard DeVince Boykins said.

D'Antoni's task is bringing the program back from 41 losses in the last two seasons, including an 11-22 finish in 2013-14, after making a 2012 appearance in the National Invitation Tournament.

So far it's been a lot of time spent teaching a new system.

"I think they're buying in," D'Antoni said following Thursday's session.

D'Antoni's offense features a lot of pick-and-roll strategy similar to what is used in the NBA where he was an assistant coach for the past nine seasons.

Taylor said he watches NBA teams such as the San Antonio Spurs run it to perfection.

"He wants me picking and rolling," said Taylor, a 6-foot-5 sophomore forward who averaged 12.8 points and 7.2 rebounds per game last season. "When we have open shots he wants us to take it.

"Who wouldn't want to be a five-man (center) shooting the three?"

D'Antoni, who is in the Marshall Athletic Hall of Fame as a former Herd point guard, places a lot of emphasis on the player who runs the show.

Boykins is a muscular 6-foot-4, 210-pound junior getting a look at the point guard position after appearing in 55 games as a freshman and sophomore playing mostly at the shooting guard and small forward spots. His reputation is for playing strong defense, but he was the best 3-point shooter on last season's team at 38.3 percent.

"I am trying to make the transition," said Boykins, who started 14 games last season. "I've always been comfortable playing the point guard position. I played it all the way through high school. I am looking forward to the task at hand.

"I feel like he saw I had the body to be a point guard as well as can handle the ball and pass the ball."

D'Antoni has said he doesn't limit his players, and he wants them to excel.

Those were refreshing words to Boykins.

"It's going to loosen everybody up," Boykins said. "People won't be timid to play."

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/marshall/x1495952201/DAntoni-sends-Herd-through-summer-school

HerdFans.com

H-D: D'Antoni sends Herd to school
    « on: May 28, 2014, 04:37:33 AM »

Offline Buffalo Bop

Re: H-D: D'Antoni sends Herd to school
    « Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 08:15:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Boykins is playing the point now, he really needs to improve his FT shooting since PGs get fouled a lot, particularly toward the end of games.

Offline marshall fanatic

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 02/2004
    « Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 10:33:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Boykins quote at the end is all telling. He said players won'tfeel timid anymore. As an athlete it is very hard to play scared and timid of the coach.

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 11:18:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Already have the Bring on the Herd t-shirts printed.  Nice!

Online elginherd

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 12:01:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For many if not most of these players, the skills and habits needed to play this style of ball will require more than one season tp be established. They will be fun to watch though & the short term pain of losing will be outweighed by the players' improvement at their craft & by actually laying down a foundation to build on.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline LUVTHATHERD

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 03:58:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • All I am looking for next year is improvement in focus, attitude, and fundamentals.  If those things happen, I will be thrilled and winning games will start to happen.  BRING ON THE HERD!!

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 04:05:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dislike using the term of a coach with a not-so-pleasant history with the HERD, but it is apropos:

We still need to find that "aircraft carrier" to win big.

p2m
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

Offline pembrook burrows III

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 04:50:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Respectfully disagree. We need four really good guards to compete at the top of CUSA. Solid, role-playing big men with great guard play in a well-coached team can get you to the Sweet Sixteen these days. Ask Ohio U. Or Dayton.

Offline richmondherdfan

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 10:27:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • CBB is all about the guard play these days. How many great big men are there in college hoops these days, much less at the CUSA level? Seriously, how many really really good 6'9+ guys in CUSA are there? Probably less than 5...Most of the bigs in high school go to Big 5 schools and some sit the bench, when they could be getting serious run at our level. But I understand wanting to play at that level if you're a HS kid.

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 01:27:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • DD doesn't want big unless he can dribble, pass and shoot outside so I don't see a back to the basket space eating big in our future
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 09:30:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope that doesn't mean we get out rebounded every game

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 10:03:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He's gonna have to get players in to run that system....right now, we have a bunch of borderline skill players that are good athletes....

We don't have guards that can shoot consistently, let alone centers...Our centers can barely catch a bounce pass while making a cut, but they can rebound and dunk....

I'd guess we win about 12 games next year...
    « Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 10:09:21 PM by Johnnyherd »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 10:03:06 PM »

Online elginherd

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He's gonna have to get players in to run that system....right now, we have a bunch of borderline skill players that are good athletes....

We don't have guards that can shoot consistently, let alone centers...Our centers can barely catch a bounce pass while making a cut, but they can rebound and dunk....

I'd guess we win about 12 games next year...

If they are good athletes, then their skill level can improve and relatively quickly. But not 'overnight' quickly.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »