Author Topic: H-D: Chuck Landon: Herd to run  (Read 1213 times)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
  • Franchise Owner
  • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
H-D: Chuck Landon: Herd to run
« on: May 29, 2014, 05:58:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Danny D'Antoni wants to play fast.

That's music to everyone's ears at Marshall.

Fans and players alike.

But before we cue the AC/DC for a rousing rendition of "Thunderstruck," one compelling difference must be pointed out.

Marshall's fans don't have to get in better physical shape to sit in the Henderson Center and watch the Herd play fast.

But MU's players?

They do.

Do they ever.

"I think Coach D'Antoni is so used to guys being in tip-top shape from the NBA," said junior guard Tamron Manning, referring to MU's new head coach's years with the Phoenix Suns, New York Knicks and Los Angeles Lakers. "So, he's looking at us like we're the most out of shape people he's ever seen.

"That means we've got to get to the caliber that he's used to and just get our bodies right and get everything together."

That's the interesting part of the "playing fast" concept.

Every player says he wants to do that. Run the floor. Push the ball. Run 'n gun basketball.

Yeah, buddy, sign me up.

But how many players want to pay the price it takes to play that style?

That's already being witnessed just three off-season workouts into D'Antoni's tenure.

"The energy level has to pick up because of how fast Coach D'Antoni wants us to play," said Manning. "You like to play fast. But then again, you don't know what it takes to play fast.

"So, when you say you like to play fast, you really have to know that you have to push yourself to get yourself in that kind of shape to play fast."

That takes a lot of conditioning and even more commitment.

"We're running miles," said Manning. "We're running a lot more than we've ever ran. So, it's just different. You've got to get yourself conditioned, so you can come out here and run teams up and down the court.

"You can't just come out here and start running. So, we're getting ourselves in condition right now to do it."

Are the players there yet? No. Is D'Antoni satisfied with their conditioning? No. But is the new head coach encouraged?

Yes.

"For the most part, I think they're trying," said D'Antoni. "Do we have some things we've got to do better? Yes. But, for the most part I think they're buying in, they're working hard.

"The weight room is much different from what I understand. Much different in conditioning. Every day they work. I've seen that. They don't work any less than what I saw in New York (with the Knicks) or L.A. (with the Lakers).

"Guys are in there, trying to get there. As they do, they'll play better on the floor."

It's a process.

D'Antoni knows that and his players are beginning to realize it, too.

"It is a whole lot different," said Manning. "I think just the feel out here is different. Everything is running to different drills, switching from different drills. ... so, it's different."

Most of all, the level of physical conditioning it takes to play D'Antoni's up-tempo style successfully is different.

"Once we get our bodies right," said Manning, "the conditioning stuff is going to work out for us. We're going to be running up and down and push hard.

"It's a lot of hard work. There's a lot of hard work coming this summer. For sure."

But will it be worth it?

Yes.

For sure.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/marshall/x1495952503/DAntoni-to-demand-his-Herd-run-court

HerdFans.com

H-D: Chuck Landon: Herd to run
    « on: May 29, 2014, 05:58:51 AM »

Online mu79grad

Re: H-D: Chuck Landon: Herd to run
    « Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 08:18:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • During the Wilmington Coaches Tour stop, Coach D'Antoni told the 65 people assembled that he couldn't believe it but most of the current MU basketball players he inherited, had more body fat than he did!  He said concerning this year's team that getting the players in shape for his style of play was going to be one of his top priorities.

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 10:35:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In the past I have always said that MU was not in shape but many respectively disagreed.  I guess watching Ellis Johnson's "Iron Man Five" gave me an appreciation of what really in shape truly meant.  Those guys could run and I mean run not just jog up and down the court all day long.

TRS
    MU 71

Offline Thunders

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 11:09:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • During the Wilmington Coaches Tour stop, Coach D'Antoni told the 65 people assembled that he couldn't believe it but most of the current MU basketball players he inherited, had more body fat than he did!  He said concerning this year's team that getting the players in shape for his style of play was going to be one of his top priorities.

Just goes to show why our team sucked so bad. Lack of conditioning and a horrible coach.
    Yoda says:    Blow the Mountaineers do!!

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 12:20:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just goes to show why our team sucked so bad.

• ...Lack of conditioning
    • ...horrible coach
    • ...pissy attitudes
    • ...terrible free throw shooting
    • ...etc, etc

FIFY

Offline herdfan429

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 01:32:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • During the Wilmington Coaches Tour stop, Coach D'Antoni told the 65 people assembled that he couldn't believe it but most of the current MU basketball players he inherited, had more body fat than he did! 

Now if you actually believe that to be true then Ive got a deal for you on some excellent beach front property in Kansas. 

Online mu79grad

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 02:56:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Call me naïve if you will, but yes, I believe it to be true.  Coach D'Antoni could have fired up the crowd in a number of other ways, if you believe that his statement was geared toward that vein.

Offline herdfan429

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 03:13:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Call me naïve if you will, but yes, I believe it to be true.  Coach D'Antoni could have fired up the crowd in a number of other ways, if you believe that his statement was geared toward that vein.

I absolutely believe he made the statement, just questioning the validity of said statement. 

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 03:27:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not doubting he said whatever he said. But, if it's a coach, and words are coming out of his mouth......well, I'm just sayin'.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 03:27:15 PM »