Author Topic: Designing CUSA 3.0 scheduling format from the ground up to get that bowl invite  (Read 2051 times)

Offline _sturt_

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You only thought that I thought out-of-the-box before. Yes, I'm ready for the unicorn and fairy dust accusations to rain down on me... hehe. Let it rain.

The first premise is altogether ambitious.

The second premise, according to reports, is practically a... well... you know... done... deal.

The resulting product laid out here is congruent with the ambition of the first premise.

Premises
    1. Construct a scheduling format designed so that the best team is simultaneously conveyed (a) optimal opportunity to achieve a perfect conference record while (b) competing at the highest possible level within the conference.

2. Assume NCAA approves elimination of championship game requirements that prescribe divisional play.

(More info: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/24483893/acc-supports-deregulation-of-conference-championship-games-would-change-postseason-structure )

Implementation
    The goal, as always, is to get to the conference championship game, win it, and get invited to play in one of the six major bowls (Rose, Orange, Sugar, Peach, Cotton or Fiesta).

The means to get there is initial success in (1) the Stars & Stripes segment of the conference season (essentially mid-October to mid-November) and then, (2) the Red, White & Blue segment (essentially mid-November to early December).

This structure allows athletic directors optimal scheduling flexibility since it allows ADs to schedule 6 regular season games at their own discretion. The entire regular season is to be conducted in 7 weeks, with the championship game occurring in the post-season.

Stars & Stripes Segment (3 games over 4 weeks)

Stars Pool (6 teams)
    - First Year: #1, #2 and #7 teams from each division from previous year.
    - Thereafter: #1 - #4  teams (championship playoff semifinalists), and the #13 and #14 teams.

The Stars pool is one wherein the 4 highest-caliber teams are playing primarily for best seeding in the championship playoff since they automatically qualify. They do not face each other in this segment of the season, and thus, all 4 have the opportunity to enter the championship playoff undefeated.

The 2 lowest-caliber teams are mainly providing competition for 2 of the 3 pre-playoff games, while also attempting to put themselves in optimal position to place above the lowest 2 slots, and back into contention with 10 other teams for a conference championship the following season.

Stripes Pool (8 teams)
    - All other teams

The Stripes pool is essentially its own tournament, wherein teams are attempting to win 2 of 3 games so that they qualify for the championship playoff. At that point that teams lose 2 games, they are reassigned to play against the high-caliber teams of the Stars Pool. By virtue of the brackets structure, there always will be 1 team emerging from this pool with a 3-0 record (and thus, a chance to complete their conference season undefeated) and 3 teams with a 2-1 record.

Red, White & Blue Segment (3 games over 3 weeks plus Championship Game on Championship Saturday)

At the conclusion of the Stars & Stripes segment, teams are re-seeded according to their records and a series of tie-breakers in either the Red Pool (championship playoff pool) or Blue Pool. As some teams lose games in the Red Pool, they are moved to the White Pool.

Red Pool = 4 qualifiers from the Stars Pool and 4 from the Stripes Pool competing in the Championship Playoff; the goal is to win and, thereby, remain in the Red Pool

White Pool = Losers of games from the Red Pool--effectively the consolation pool--who, then, go on to play each other for the balance of the season, and with the goal of optimizing seeding in next year's Stripes Pool

Blue Pool = 6 non-qualifiers whose goal is simultaneously to optimize seeding in next year's Stripes Pool, and avoiding seeding in the Stars Pool by virtue of finishing the season with one of the two worst records

An additional feature of the structure is that the two finalists for the championship game have the benefit of being able to accommodate a prearranged extra regular season game against a quality opponent prior to Championship Saturday. One option for filling the slot is to coordinate with one or more of the other Go5 conferences to participate in a challenge game for both CUSA finalists.

The advantage of this is to provide as much bounce as the season concludes as-is possible for a CUSA team to be selected for the major bowl.

The trade-off in creating a structure that places the eventual CUSA champ in an optimal position to gain the major bowl is that, after the 1st and 2nd week games in the Stars Pool, and after the 1st week in the Stripes Pool, logistics for any given week may or may not allow for a team to know that they're playing at home or away until following Saturday's results, and likewise, determination of opponents will not be known until then. Therefore, 6 of the 7 weeks of the conference season inherently will have a playoff atmosphere.

HerdFans.com

Offline banker

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know you put a lot of thought in to this stuff, but you have to start with one question, is it logistically possible?  I am trying to play nice as not to offend you, but you have to start with the understanding that every school has a fan base.  Those folks shell out between $150 and $600 per season ticket.  The hardcore fans get a schedule before the season and plan vacation time around road games, make travel arrangements in advance, and the out of town fans make arrangements to make it in for home games.

How do schools sell season tickets to their more casual fan base knowing that they have been relegated to a lesser pool?  How do you market ticket packages when you don't even know when you will play at home or on the road?  How do you even know the number of home games so that you can price your ticket packages?

Also the change in relative strength of teams from year to year is going to be impactful.  For example, Marshall and Rice, the two teams that were in the 2013 CUSA CG in 2013, went 5-7 and 6-6 respectively in 2012. Marshall should be good again in 2014 but Rice lost 25 5th year seniors from their 2013 team. They will be a crapshoot this year.  Neither of those teams would have been in your top pool for 2013, therefore would not have awarded the best path to obtaining the desired SOS.

G5 teams are generally much more susceptible to talent and result swings than top P5 schools. You would be better off using a preseason conference coaches poll to set schedules in a scenario like you propose because they have a much better idea of what the teams will look like for the upcoming season.

Heck, if you want to go off the reservation for an idea, just play the whole conference schedule as a tournament. The top seed in each division gets a bye week one and the other 12 teams play each other based on seeding.  Of course that would be over in 5 weeks and there's no guarantee that the higher seed teams would advance meaning that even if one of the top seeds won they would have developed the highest possible SOS from conference games.

If you did that though you could move the OOC part of the schedule to the back half of the season.  Everyone could have a bye week then the MAC champ plays the CUSA champ, the AAC champ plays the Belt champ and the MWC champ plays BYU.  Whoever is highest ranked after that plays some chump team while the other two winners play each other.  The winner of that game then plays the higher ranked team.

Essential at that point you have completed a full G5 tournament and have one undefeated team who then takes the access spot.

Man, this is fun.  When not bound by reality you can make up whatever you want.

Offline _sturt_

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dang. No sooner do I say "line drawn" than you return to attemptingto crank out a relevant coherent... at least based on a quick scan... reply.

Oh well. Patience extnguished.

I will say this much... not initially seeing anything here that I haven't given response before, albeit in the context of a different concept.

Offline IM4DHERD

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just like Banker, don't take offense and please stay on subject, but I too am looking for substance, sincerely.  

I think that everyone is intrigued by the concept of a full season of pretty much tournament play.  The old 1-AA post season days were great and a lot of fun, especially when we could buy the home field advantage throughout.  The question is about logistics, as Banker and others have pointed out.  You say

I will say this much... not initially seeing anything here that I haven't given response before, albeit in the context of a different concept.

but I have gone back through about 50 or so of your posts and do not see where you have addressed the questions at hand.  I certainly could have missed them.

A concept must be workable.  Please, if you would, address the logistics of scheduling, team travel, ticketing, fans and all the other issues that could forestall the concept.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 08:51:23 AM by IM4DHERD »
    Make a difference...Join the Big Green

Offline _sturt_

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • IM4 try the CSN BBS forums. I'd write more but I'm on kindle.

Offline IM4DHERD

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Never been over there...That's a LOT to wade through.

Offline MUsince96

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We should make a scheduling agreement with the ACC....there I've made my contribution to Marshall Athletics for the year.   Phew... ;)

Offline IM4DHERD

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We should make a scheduling agreement with the ACC....there I've made my contribution to Marshall Athletics for the year.   Phew... ;)

Now that makes sense...More likely to happen, although it won't, and playing and winning vs. ACC teams certainly would make more of an impression on the Committee than beating a #1 MAC East Buffalo and/or a #1 MAC West Ball State.  If CUSA and the MAC are indeed the bottom-feeders, then playing them is no springboard. 

As long as we are wishing, I always wanted a pony.

Offline goherd24

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Haha. Well played sir.

Offline _sturt_

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Never been over there...That's a LOT to wade through.

Still typing on a tablet so let me just turn those questions back to you then... you're at least as smart as me... given what you know from IAA experience, how would you answer if you had to?

Offline _sturt_

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Now that makes sense...More likely to happen, although it won't, and playing and winning vs. ACC teams certainly would make more of an impression on the Committee than beating a #1 MAC East Buffalo and/or a #1 MAC West Ball State.  If CUSA and the MAC are indeed the bottom-feeders, then playing them is no springboard. 

As long as we are wishing, I always wanted a pony.

Cmon guys.. you start to get serious then you bail out. Why.

ACC AAC and MWC would all be wonderful dance partners but what's innitnfor them. Until youncan answer that as 24 indicated you're just playing... just cracking jokes for social reasons.

MAC is in a similar positionto us. We both measure up short but if we were to collaborate we both could give each other the hand up necessary.

I DESPISE TYPING WITH MY THUMBS.... AAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!!!

Offline MarshallGrad

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A concept must be workable.  Please, if you would, address the logistics of scheduling, team travel, ticketing, fans and all the other issues that could forestall the concept.

These are examples of the the essentials for any workable idea. These issues should be thought through and addressed as a part of any proposal.

HerdFans.com

Offline _sturt_

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes. Cant helpnbut chuckle that Im essentially being asked why I didnt post an additional chapter... ie a LONGER post...hehe... anyhow Grad, same as just said to IM4.
    « Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 11:38:00 AM by _sturt_ »

Offline goherd24

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I expect a plan for solving world hunger, along with exact costs, and the full 887 step plan on my desk by morning. Travel and logistics better damn well be included.

Offline MUsince96

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Go independent, and only schedule teams that had a winning record the year before. 

I am racking up priority points like nobodies business.

Offline IM4DHERD

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Still typing on a tablet so let me just turn those questions back to you then... you're at least as smart as me... given what you know from IAA experience, how would you answer if you had to?

I asked because I cannot come up with any solutions to the logistic issues in particular and even the concept in general.  IMO it would not and cannot work.  The 1-AA playoffs work because they are high-profile and although teams were traveling on a week's notice, they have something to play for and in most cases a pretty rabid fan following due to their success in getting there.  There was also NCAA support in regards to logistics, etc. The championship game logistics are all worked out well in advance - location, hotels, etc.

There are 4 1-AA/FCS playoff games...If I am reading right, you are proposing that there would be 6 OOC games and a hard schedule for the first three conference games, then re-seeding for the next 3, not knowing who you play or where,  including cross-conference against the MAC teams.  I might be reading it wrong, so please correct me if so.

Also, as noted before, it might be great to play top ranked MAC teams, but it also means that the bottom feeders play the bottom feeders of the MAC with little notice.  If you think MAC crowds are bad now, send UAB to Eastern Michigan with nothing to play for late in the season.  

The proposal at hand is nice if a #17 ranked MU is playing a #20 Ranked BGSU then a #15 ranked NIU to get attention of the committee, but you have to consider that in this scenario, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.  The top teams are consistently year to year paired with the poor teams so they have an easy ride.  This is great for the top teams, but what about the lesser ones and their opportunities to win a division, ever?

Further, if the idea is to strengthen SOS for the committee, seeding the conference in such a way as to have the strong feed on the weak would seem to counteract the goal.

Also, IMO, scheduling OOC is enough of a nightmare.  Programs form conferences in large part to minimize their need to schedule more games dealing with permutations of time, alliances, opportunities, etc.  To ask our administrators to schedule 6 OOC games rather than 4, and expect them to come up with quality competition that doesn't offset any potential benefit of playing a MAC team at the end of the rainbow, and especially having one OOC need at the end of the season as outlined, is certainly far-fetched if not impossible.

Seems there is also no conference championship game which can give a team a 13 game season (if undefeated probably better than playing a MAC team) and the inherent money it brings.

Again, maybe I am reading some things incorrectly and if so, I apologize up front.
    « Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 12:00:34 PM by IM4DHERD »

Offline _sturt_

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I didn't get past the first paragraph. I just don't recall it beong such a nearly impossible challenge to deal with Western Illinoiscoming to Hgtn on a week notice and repeating that same ambiguity (sorry 24) and travel arrangements for successive Saturdays. And not to mock you IM4 but you have to admit few of us have ever seen the words "IAA playoff" and "high profile" in the same sentence. You cite support from NCAA... seemingly without it occurring to you that maybe the CUSA office would have similar capacity.

So.. what to make of this?

Had hopes but its hard for me based on that response to think you even attempted an honest effort to think it through.

There are challenges with this. But that one is proven every year by all kinds of playoffs in all kinds of sports not to be particularly daunting. And btw there are challenges... tradeoffs to any system/structure... the one we have now has challenges too or we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
    « Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 12:25:05 PM by _sturt_ »

Offline MarshallGrad

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes. Cant helpnbut chuckle that Im essentially being asked why I didnt post an additional chapter... ie a LONGER post...hehe... anyhow Grad, same as just said to IM4.

The following will be as likely to implement as any other I have seen so far: Every conference gets two teams as entry into a new legitimate playoff. The details for implementation are for the administrators and the negotiators to make happen. I am as serious as I can be about the benefits and appropriateness of a full playoff as I can be. A system that guarantees access from each conference is the way to get us where we want to be.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 01:09:26 PM by MarshallGrad »

Offline _sturt_

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The following will be as likely to implement as any other I have seen so far: Every conference gets two teams as entry into a new legitimate playoff. The details for implementation are for the administrators and the negotiators to make happen. I am as serious as I can be about the benefits and appropriateness of a full playoff as I can be. A system that guarantees access from each conference is the way to get us where we want to be.

But not where AAC or MWC wants to be. That always the starting question... what's in it for each of the parties involved. You know that.

Offline MarshallGrad

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • But not where AAC or MWC wants to be. That always the starting question... what's in it for each of the parties involved. You know that.

It would get them two seats at the playoff table. More than they have now.

Offline _sturt_

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It would get them two seats at the playoff table. More than they have now.

Hold up.

By almost any third party's estimation, not to mention most of us, those two are positioned to monopolize the major bowl. Coke and Pepsi have little reason to want to widen the capacity for others to compete on equal ground.

But unlike what I get from several here, let me build on your thought instead of totally dismissing it.

We maybe could get there if it became a situation where Pepsi... in this case MWC... became persuaded that Coke... the AAC... on its own maintained a monopoly/strangle-hold on the major bowl bid... in that case, they would have reason to collaborate with the other 4 Go5 conferences. But for now, there's just not any appreciable gap between them unless you can come up with some method to create a wedge (?).

Offline _sturt_

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Per your ask for some clarification... no apology necessary... completely understandable that you'd be a little uncertain, and probably owes to gaps in my original explanation... being on your side of things for things like this (well, not just like this, but similar) on other forums in the past, I appreciate the effort to try to digest it all...

If I am reading right, you are proposing that there would be 6 OOC games

Yes.

and a hard schedule for the first three conference games

Actually, not unless your team finished in the bottom two last season.

First three games for #1-#4 from previous season pit those teams against last season's bottom two, then the third game being versus one of the first teams in the current season to achieve two losses.

Using last season's results and pretending implementation this season, you'd have Rice, Marshall, East Carolina, and UTSA getting two games against FIU and... I still can't believe I'm writing this... Southern Miss. (I know they're depressed and I'm depressed for them. I'm sure I'm not alone.)

So, for those three, advocates of the value of going undefeated will appreciate that it's entirely possible that in many if not most years, all four of those schools automatically qualifying will get through the first phase in good shape. No, it doesn't do much for strength of schedule, but the way I justify that is to compare it to status quo, and as-is, ADs anticipate at least a couple of easier conference games and at least one easier OOC game; so, by virtue of them having the additional inventory (6 OOC slots, not just 4), they can adjust for that to their own discretion of what is best given the current realities of their program.

then re-seeding for the next 3, not knowing who you play or where, 

Correct. You would know who you might play, of course, because there are brackets. But because there would be a goal of having everyone play 3 home, 3 away through the whole process, there could be times when lower seeds in the pool end up with home field advantage--it just depends on who wins each week, obviously.

including cross-conference against the MAC teams.

No. This one doesn't prescribe involvement with the MAC. It's left open that there could be a challenge pair of prearranged games at the end of the playoff, but not necessarily against the MAC's two best.

Also, as noted before, it might be great to play top ranked MAC teams, but it also means that the bottom feeders play the bottom feeders of the MAC with little notice.  If you think MAC crowds are bad now, send UAB to Eastern Michigan with nothing to play for late in the season.  

While the MAC part is actually askew, still, I want to take the opportunity this one presents to bring up another important point that too easily avoids people when they're shooting holes in this or any other idea that I or anyone else ever proposes...

And it's encompassed in this question: "How is that not exactly the same as it is now anyhow?"

Even if we accept the premise that UAB wouldn't be more interesting than Akron to Eastern Michigan fans, a crowd of only 2000 instead of 3000 really isn't anything worth making a major issue over... hope we can agree on that.

And another thing that this gives me opportunity to highlight... on the positive side...

In this environment, teams desperately do not want to be one of those worst two teams because of the consequence that being one of those in one year means the most you can hope to achieve the next year is elevation to the Stripes Pool instead of having to be fish food for the sharks in the Stars Pool.

Sports is like life... and just like in life, there are consequences for failing to perform, and when you're down that low, you need some small victories to help get you out of the hole you're in... and ascension to the Stripes Pool is that small victory.

Why am I droning on and on about this? Because herein is another benefit to this structure...

Under current conditions, if you're bad on October 31st, you've got nothing to play for but pride in November, right?

But under this structure, if you're bad on October 31st, you've got a whole lot to play for in November... ie, avoiding being one of those two worst teams, or said more positively, to lock yourself in to a spot in the Stripes Pool when you kickoff for next season.

The proposal at hand is nice if a #17 ranked MU is playing a #20 Ranked BGSU then a #15 ranked NIU to get attention of the committee, but you have to consider that in this scenario, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.  The top teams are consistently year to year paired with the poor teams so they have an easy ride.  This is great for the top teams, but what about the lesser ones and their opportunities to win a division, ever?

Not sure if I'm getting you, or if this is based on some misunderstanding, but we both agree that you want a system where bad teams have some rungs on the ladder just above them that can help them out of their ditch, good teams have to earn their keep, and yet at the same time, where the very best team receives the greatest bounce from conference play that is possible.

Based on just that, it could be argued the biggest conference weekend of the year is going to be that first weekend of Red, White & Blue play, when the four Stripes teams face the four Stars teams... since those games have the consequence of defining who is in the Stars Pool next season.

There's a detectable theme building here. And it is that there's so much built-in excitement when your conference season has this playoff element embedded in it... everyone has plenty of reason to keep playing hard well into November, if not the last regular season Saturday even. 

Further, if the idea is to strengthen SOS for the committee, seeding the conference in such a way as to have the strong feed on the weak would seem to counteract the goal.

You're talking to the guy who thinks the Great 8 is still the best idea, all things being equal. So, this point isn't lost on me, believe me. Which is why I said what I already said...

"...No, it doesn't do much for strength of schedule, but the way I justify that is to compare it to status quo, and as-is, ADs anticipate at least a couple of easier conference games and at least one easier OOC game; so, by virtue of them having the additional inventory (6 OOC slots, not just 4), they can adjust for that to their own discretion of what is best given the current realities of their program."

Also, IMO, scheduling OOC is enough of a nightmare.  Programs form conferences in large part to minimize their need to schedule more games dealing with permutations of time, alliances, opportunities, etc.  To ask our administrators to schedule 6 OOC games rather than 4, and expect them to come up with quality competition that doesn't offset any potential benefit of playing a MAC team at the end of the rainbow, and especially having one OOC need at the end of the season as outlined, is certainly far-fetched if not impossible.

For the two finalists for the championship game, assuming that's what you're talking about, that particular end-of-season OOC challenge game would be a 7th.

I don't mean to be dismissive, but I'll stand where I've stood on this one.

Where's that?

If you're in the 4th of 5 conferences, and one that is too perilously close to #5 to feel all that comfortable, given that so many of your members came from that #5 conference in the first place... what's that about "quality competition?"... hey, really, you can't do much worse having those two extra slots available, and... glass-half-full... you can do a whole lot better.

If I'm FIU or Southern Miss.. I'm saying please give me that flexibility... give me every opportunity to try to better myself. Or if I'm Rice or Marshall, same.

I suppose I might take the assertion of "far-fetched-ness" more seriously if we were in a conference with more to lose instead of staring up at 8 other Division I conferences of 10.

Seems there is also no conference championship game which can give a team a 13 game season (if undefeated probably better than playing a MAC team) and the inherent money it brings.

The regular season is 12 games. Conference championship is a 13th.

HerdFans.com

Offline banker

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sturt, the difference between the FCS playoffs and your plan is that it messes with the regular season,the thing that sells season tickets and pays the bills.

Now that you are apparently back in full type mode why don't you address these issues instead of just acting like you already have when you haven't.  I know you hate being questioned, but just go ahead and convince me that this isn't a non-starter due to the items I brought up.

Offline _sturt_

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sturt, the difference between the FCS playoffs and your plan is that it messes with the regular season,the thing that sells season tickets and pays the bills.

Now that you are apparently back in full type mode why don't you address these issues instead of just acting like you already have when you haven't.  I know you hate being questioned, but just go ahead and convince me that this isn't a non-starter due to the items I brought up.

Not avoiding the question, but as your comment about what you might do for late evening entertainment reaffirmed... this isn't about any sincere interest on your part. And to suggest that I "hate being questioned" when, unlike yourself, I pretty much respect almost every poster enough to offer some reply? I call horse puckey on the allegation. I only disrespect... not hate, but disrespect... the questions of the insincere... the questions of those who regard their role as Divinity, only judging, not participating in attempting to figure out something better.

Patience extinguished. Line drawn. Too bad. The season ticket question itself is valid. Doesn't mean it doesn't have an answer, of course. But it's an important question that has to be considered.
    « Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 06:33:44 PM by _sturt_ »

Offline IM4DHERD

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was incorporporating aspects of the other proposal into this one, in regards to the MAC.  My mistake.

First three games for #1-#4 from previous season pit those teams against last season's bottom two, then the third game being versus one of the first teams in the current season to achieve two losses.

Not to make work, but I'd love to see an example of how a season might pan out.  I have a PhD in 3-dimensional Laser Calculus but still can't see how the top 4 teams will play the bottom two in the first 2 weeks to line up the "third game being versus one of the first teams in the current season to achieve two losses". Also, and I may be reading this wrong, but how are there enough 2 loss teams guaranteed to play the top 4 seeds? Even if I am mis-reading and the concept is for the top 4 to play the bottom 2 over 3 weeks, how can that work?

Probably staring me in the face, but I can't see it without example.

Beyond that, I just see a logistical nightmare in not knowing who you will play or where for what looks now to look like 4 games per year, right particularly with consideration, as noted, to give each team an equal number of home and aways.

Scheduling 6 OOC games still, IMO, would pull the SOS down even further because we would not be scheduling Pitt or WVU any more than we are now, probably dipping into FCS. Besides, teams have full schedules every year now with conference and OOC already.  Where will 16 CUSA teams find 2 more OOC games per year?

HerdFans.com