Author Topic: GAZETTE: Mitch Vingle: D’Antoni homing in on state  (Read 1836 times)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
  • Franchise Owner
  • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
GAZETTE: Mitch Vingle: D’Antoni homing in on state
« on: May 30, 2014, 05:57:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Forget shirts.

When it comes to Marshall basketball, new Thundering Herd coach Dan D’Antoni wants more skin in his team’s games.

In other words, he wants more ownership. If you’re from these parts, he believes, you’ll be more apt to work harder. He feels you’ll do so because it’s your territory to defend.

Thus, D’Antoni has staked a claim. He’s wanting to recruit southern West Virginia. He’s wanting to recruit all of the Mountain State.

“I want a lot more skin in our games,” D’Antoni said Thursday, “because I have a lot of skin in the games. I’ll be coaching before my family and friends.”

It was validation of whispers around the Kanawha Valley. Those whispers said D’Antoni is set on finding his perimeter players in-state. If he has to go out of state to find big men, he will. So be it.

“We’re not going to take a kid just because he’s from West Virginia,” D’Antoni said, “but I think a lot of kids here are overlooked. ... I certainly was overlooked as a player and I think a lot are.”

Indeed, D’Antoni was an under-recruited product of Mullens who went on to lead Marshall to the NIT semifinals. He averaged 17.5 points as a senior and not only coaches now, but resides in the school’s Hall of Fame.

Already, D’Antoni has signed Hedgesville’s Calvin “C.J.” Burks, a 6-foot-3 combo guard who was rated as just the No. 9 recruit in the state by MaxPreps. Burks will have to sit out as a prop, but he averaged 20 points a game for a team that reached the Class AAA semifinals last season.

D’Antoni is stoked over the signing.

“He’s the kind of prop you look for,” D’Antoni said. “He understands why he’s a prop and wants to come in and work hard to fix it. He’s a great kid. I’m really looking forward to having him here. He’ll be successful.”

D’Antoni has also invited Wyoming East product Brett Bowling to walk on to the Herd program. (“He’s practicing now,” said the coach.) But the new MU coach apparently is just getting started. He’s already offered a scholarship to South Charleston’s Brandon Knapper, who just finished his sophomore year. In addition, there are whispers he’s already on Poca High’s Elijah Cuffee and Luke Frampton, about-to-be-sophomores both.

“We want to offer kids the opportunity to play in front of their family and friends,” D’Antoni said. “Marshall is a good sell. The campus is here. It’s easy to get around. The facility is on campus.”

Again, don’t misunderstand. D’Antoni has already recruited outside of the Mountain State. In one instance, he recruited waaaay out of the Mountain State.

The coach signed Aleksa Nikolic, a 6-5 point guard, from Pancevo, Serbia. Nikolic averaged 20 points, six rebounds and eight assists for a junior club team and has near a 7-foot wing span.

“I don’t envision hangups,” D’Antoni said. “There’s paperwork that still needs done, but we’re trying to get him here in June.”

MU also landed James Kelly, a 6-7 transfer from Miami. Kelly applied for a hardship waiver, but hadn’t heard word on it as of Thursday. If that doesn’t come through, he’ll have to sit out a season.

“We’ll recruit the best West Virginia has, whether he’s a perimeter player or big man,” D’Antoni said, “but we’ll also recruit Europe because of connections from my brother [Mike]. We’ll recruit South Carolina because I have a lot of connections there. [Assistant] Chris Duhon has a lot in Chicago, where he’s from. [Assistant] Scott Rigot is from Pittsburgh. And North Carolina is an area I know.”

As the situation stands, D’Antoni is out of scholarships to offer this season. He is, though, still pounding the pavement for recruiting and upgrades.

“We need a practice facility,” D’Antoni said. “We need office space. We need to upgrade that first appearance to show there’s an investment in the program. But we have a lot of good things too. I want to highlight that and fix what’s been dragging.”

Meanwhile, the search will continue, right in Marshall’s front yard.

“West Virginia, eastern Kentucky, all the regions this university supports,” D’Antoni said. “That’s a priority for us. I want more skin in the game.”

To put in those Marshall shirts.

http://www.wvgazette.com/article/20140529/GZ02/140529128/1144

HerdFans.com

GAZETTE: Mitch Vingle: D’Antoni homing in on state
    « on: May 30, 2014, 05:57:25 AM »

Offline backontrack

Re: GAZETTE: Mitch Vingle: D’Antoni homing in on state
    « Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 08:27:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Obviously, Vingle is a D'Antoni fan...props to him for an excellent column...wonder if that will continue???...

Offline HerdHead

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 09:09:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Coach D'Antoni was the guest on Vingle's live sports interview show from Bobby's Bar & Grill in Cross Lanes on Wednesday and did very well. 

(And before you ask, no... it's not broadcast anywhere)

Offline FiTreDawG

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 10:37:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Did Vingle seriously just write a column about MU without mentioning WVU once?  It is literally the first time I've ever seen such a thing. 

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 11:13:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Did Vingle seriously just write a column about MU without mentioning WVU once?  It is literally the first time I've ever seen such a thing. 

LOL. Good point. This is really a nice article from Vingle.

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 12:28:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • LOL. Good point. This is really a nice article from Vingle.

I don't care how many more nice articles Vingleberry writes about Marshall, I still can't stand the guy!

Offline phillyherdfan

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 01:46:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    “We need a practice facility,” D’Antoni said. “We need office space. We need to upgrade that first appearance to show there’s an investment in the program.

First I recall seeing this.  I guess we should add this to our list of "needs".

Offline jocktalker

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 03:50:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Column also confirms what I said two weeks ago and caught some flack about it.  CJ Burks will be a prop.

Offline Collis P

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 06:28:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • First I recall seeing this.  I guess we should add this to our list of "needs".

Gullickson  (sp) is in bad shape - Very Hot - and very old facility.........I went to a few BB practices last year and the floor had a very hollow sounds and it was very hot.  This was just before we went to Canada.............. 
    S M I L E -

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 06:47:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think we have enough talent in this region to play the way that Dantoni is wanting to play. Hope to get a couple of pure shooters to stretch the defense a bit more.

Online elginherd

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 06:50:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think we have enough talent in this region to play the way that Dantoni is wanting to play. Hope to get a couple of pure shooters to stretch the defense a bit more.

Bear in mind...those shooters also have to be able to run, cut & defend.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 06:52:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Of course, but I wouldn't care to bring in one guy who can shoot the lights out from long range. Even if that guy can't do anything else, its always good to have one on the team imo.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 06:52:36 PM »

Offline lovetheherd2

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 07:14:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Gullickson  (sp) is in bad shape - Very Hot - and very old facility.........I went to a few BB practices last year and the floor had a very hollow sounds and it was very hot.  This was just before we went to Canada.............. 

I saw the same thing last year. Whenever a volleyball match with CUSA or tournament is going on, the BB team heads to Gullickson. It's the opposite of state of the art.....

Offline BuyNtelos4

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 01:45:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So instead of bringing in Props that are heavily recruited and wanted by all the big schools and don't qualify academically, we are bringing in props from WV that nobody knows about?

I'm sorry, but I don't know how much I like that.  I have loved pretty much everything about The idea of Dantoni, but I wasn't crazy about his final coaching hire, and I'm not crazy about him wanting his perimeter PlayerS to be from in state.  Sure I'm all for having a couple in state guys on the team, and them working their (@/:; off to compete with the perceived much better talent we bring in from other places.  I am all for recruitingbasketball players instead of athletes, but I am really starting to worry that Dantoni is going to underestimate this conference... Honestly, if I were going to take in state guys, I would go after the one that is amazingly talented, shoots lights out, plays defense, and everybody that's anybod says he is to short to be successful.  I couldn't tell you how many times over the years I remember seeing us be eaten alive by little fast guys, but rarely do we have one of our own...

I certainly hope Dan knows what he is doing, because I would give anything to consistently have good basketball to look forward to, maybe even more than football!

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 07:46:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • my thoughts exactly.......USM and UTEP aint kidding around

Offline backontrack

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 09:18:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Keep in mind that if we'd made maybe 20-25 more FT's we'd have been .500 (that's six wins) and maybe better even with the clusterf*ck that was HerrionBall...if he can find in-state kids who compete hard within a SYSTEM he'll be successful...at least he has a plan to find guys who'll want to commit so they can play in front of their families and friends...

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 09:46:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm hoping we are able to RS most of our incoming freshmen. Get an extra year to develop all these guys.

Offline HarpDaddy

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #17 on: May 31, 2014, 02:50:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really have no issue recruiting a kid from the state of West Virginia who can play, but taking a kid from the state just because he is from the state is bit short sighted. 

My question to anyone is this...since Mayo, Patterson and that group...how many state of West Virginia kids in hoops went on to have great careers at the collegiate level at a school and conference of Marshall and CUSA size?  I honestly can't name one at this point.

Offline backontrack

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2014, 03:07:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Question: how many kids from Butler were Indiana natives???...and how many went on to epic NBA careers???...I guess they weren't that successful, since they never won it all...another question: can an A system with B players consistently defeat a B system with A players???...

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2014, 08:56:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • from what i've read, d'antoni has made a point to say he's not gonna take kids JUST B/C they're from this area in regards to scholarships.  he has said his walk-ons will be from this area.

as far as underestimating CUSA, d'antoni has said what his goal is here, & it's got nothing to do w/"only" winning CUSA.  he has far greater aspirations.  i don't think he's just wanting to recruit talent "good enough" to win CUSA.

based on the "talent" we've ran out on the floor the last 4 yrs, i'm sure there's a few that would've gotten some serious PT on our team.  the fieler kid from PSHS that went to FGCU, he would've been 1 of our better players.  the kid huggins took from shady spring is a nice shooter, we could use someone like him.  pretty sure i remember henry (SCHS) having a good game against us last yr for UNCC.

Offline MUonium

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 11:36:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • WV north-south June 20

2014 Boys’ North-South Basketball Rosters
    Selected by the WV Athletic Directors Association.

Friday, June 20, 2014 at 7:30 – South Charleston Community Center

NORTH - Coaches: Tom Gutshall and Don Bullett
    Dominique Newman – Washington
    Jacob Martin – Ravenswood
    Wade Martin – Pt. Pleasent
    CJ Burks – Hedgesville
    Jacob Neal – Roane County
    Cal Cistaro – Notre Dame
    Logan Lawrentz – Parkersburg South
    Trevon Wesco – Musselman
    Ian Nichols – Tucker
    David Park – Central
    Kendall Smith – Washington
    Johnnie Riley – Lewis County
    Jimmy Galusky – Preston
    Zack Willhoite – Magnolia

SOUTH - Coaches: Jim Justice & Bill McClanahan
    Donte Nabors – Woodrow Wilson
    Rondale Watson – Greenbrier East
    Garret McCarty – Charleston Catholic
    Brynden “Worm” Street – Logan
    Jon Elmore – George Washington
    Austin Canada – Wyoming East
    Corey Bowles – Westside
    Anthony Eades – Bluefield
    Henry Sorsaia – Hurricane
    Anthony Billings – South Charleston
    Nick George – Charleston Catholic
    Obi Romeo – Greenbrier East
    Zen Clements – Princeton

2014 Class AAA Boys’ All-State Basketball Team
    Voted by the West Virginia Sports Writers Association

First Team
    Jon Elmore, George Washington, sr. (Captain)
    C.J. Burks, Hedgesville, sr.
    Jimmy Galusky, Preston, sr.
    Brandon Knapper, South Charleston, so.
    Dominique Newman, Washington, sr.
    John Riley, Lewis County, sr.
    Rondale Watson, Greenbrier East, sr.
    Trevon Wesco, Musselman, sr.

Second Team
    Donte Nabors, Woodrow Wilson, sr. (Captain)
    Jerome Jones, Washington, sr.
    Carrington Morris, Capital, sr.
    Arick Nicks, Huntington, sr.
    Ryan Reinbeau, Wheeling Park, jr.
    Obi Romeo, Greenbrier East, sr.
    Henry Sorsaia, Hurricane, sr.
    Ja’Darian Wade, Parkersburg, jr.

Third Team
    A.D. Cunningham, South Charleston, jr. (Captain)
    Scottie Core, Morgantown, sr.
    Tavian Dunn-Martin, Huntington, jr.
    Aaron Ferguson, Princeton, jr.
    Elijah Freeman, Martinsburg, sr.
    Jacob Kilgore, Spring Valley, jr.
    Cody Monroe, Parkersburg South, jr.
    Nick Tubbs, Huntington, sr.

2014 Boys’ Class AA Basketball All-State Teams

First Team
    Anthony Eades, Bluefied, sr. (Captain)
    Devonti Birch, Robert. C. Byrd, jr.
    Corey Bowles, Westside, sr.
    Austin Canada, Wyoming East, sr.
    Lykel Collier, Bluefield, sr.
    Noah Frampton, Poca, jr.
    Justin Noble, Robert C. Byrd, jr.
    John Wilfong, Bridgeport, jr.

Second Team
    Josh Butcher, Chapmanville, jr. (Captain)
    Justin Cogar, Westside, jr.
    Luke Frampton, Poca, fr.
    Christian Hedinger, Wyoming East, sr.
    Jake Martin, Ravenswood, sr.
    Zach Meadows, PikeView, sr.
    Jacob Neal, Roane County, sr.
    Jared Tharp, Nicholas County, sr.

Third Team
    Will Fox, Westside, jr. (Captain)
    Taron Ayers, Wyoming East, sr.
    Luke Dyer, Robert C. Byrd, so.
    Tavon Horton, Fairmont Senior, jr.
    Michael Kearney, Berkeley Springs, sr.
    Eric May, Scott, jr.
    Kevin Steele, Robert C. Byrd, sr.
    Michael Yost, Bluefield, sr.

2014 Boys’ Class A Basketball All-State Teams

First Team
    Nick George, Charleston Catholic, sr. (Captain)
    Cal Cistaro, Notre Dame, sr.
    Garret McCarty, Charleston Catholic, sr.
    David Park, Wheeling Central, sr.
    Preston Boswell, Magnolia, so.
    Elisha Kidd, Greater Beckley, jr.
    Chase Harler, Wheeling Central, so.
    Zac Warden, Valley Fayette, so.

Second Team
    Zach Chisler, Clay-Battelle, sr. (Captain)
    Javonne Staunton-Bailey, Greater Beckley, sr.
    Austin Cunningham, Gilmer County, sr.
    Keith Clemons, Huntington St. Joe, fr.
    Chaice Truex, Bishop Donahue, jr.
    Ian Nichols, Tucker County, sr.
    Logan Pomeroy, Meadow Bridge, sr.
    Jake Ullman, Parkersburg Catholic, sr.

Third Team
    Jarrod West, Notre Dame, fr. (Captain)
    Kennedy Cain, Paden City, jr.
    Henry Barron-Houchins, Valley Fayette, so.
    Laythen Good, Buffalo, sr.
    Tristan Haught, Clay-Battelle sr.
    Ross Comis, Madonna, sr.
    Rickie Carter, Midland Trail, sr.
    Logan Routt, Cameron, jr.

Offline HarpDaddy

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 01:55:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Question: how many kids from Butler were Indiana natives???...and how many went on to epic NBA careers???...I guess they weren't that successful, since they never won it all...another question: can an A system with B players consistently defeat a B system with A players???...

Butler had Shelving Mack a second round pick on both of those teams and also Gordon Hayward was on the best of the two teams and was a lottery pick. 

I would also claim without much of an argument that Indiana HS basketball is by far and a way superior to WV HS ball.  I would also claim Marshall is already getting mostly B players. 

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 01:55:04 PM »