Author Topic: An undefeated Herd?  (Read 1353 times)

Offline Herdish99

• Rookie
An undefeated Herd?
« on: May 30, 2014, 09:35:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not an impossible task but going to take a lot of things falling in the right place.  These guys seem to think there's a shot.  They're doing like a 4 part series on teams that could go undefeated and make the playoff.  I think he's right about Cato but i'm not as sold no the defense as he must be...thoughts?

http://againstthenumber.com/non-power-conference-title-hopefuls-part-2/

HerdFans.com

An undefeated Herd?
    « on: May 30, 2014, 09:35:29 AM »

Offline MUsince96

Re: An undefeated Herd?
    « Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 09:47:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Undefeated? A very good shot.  The 4 team play off? Highly unlikely.

Offline marshallz13

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 09:55:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The defense can be strong next year, losing Bazzie and JT hurts but we have some depth at the line.

LB core is looking dominate with Hunter, Holmes, McKelvey, Hewitt, Houston, and others.

The only question I might have is DB. Roberts and Tindal have proven themselves but besides them and maybe Baxter we don't have a ton of guys with experience, at least in terms of lots of playing time.

The offense should be set to go.

Offline Herdish99

• Rookie
    « Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 09:57:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Do you think if they DO go undefeated (and would have to really stomp some teams), that as long as there's maybe only 1 other undefeated team they'd at least be in the discussion?  This was the year to really step out with the schedule and take a shot and unfortunately it just didn't happen but I feel like this playoff was built to allow a team like this a chance agains the #1 seed to put all this power versus non power stuff to the test

Online girthyherdon

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 09:59:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The only question I might have is DB. Roberts and Tindal have proven themselves but besides them and maybe Baxter we don't have a ton of guys with experience, at least in terms of lots of playing time.

Questions at corner, maybe. However we are loaded with talented safeties.

Offline marshallz13

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 10:07:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Questions at corner, maybe. However we are loaded with talented safeties.

Yeah, Leggett, Lang, and Letman. All have some experience.

Online mu79grad

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 10:28:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The only ghost of a chance to get in the four-team playoff would be to literally beat everyone on our schedule 59-0, or 59-7, or worse, without allowing any more than seven points in a given game.  Even then, it would still be a long-shot because the "powers to be" would contend that the Herd did not play the week-in and week-out "grueling" schedule of the anointed SEC, and the other "power" conferences.  However, wouldn't it be nice to see such a season from our beloved Herd!     

Offline goherd24

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 10:53:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Defense will be stronger than last year for sure. Bazzie was good but not a world beater. JT was a hell of a player but basically did not have an impact last year due to injury so he won't be missed on the field.

LB group is best we have had since 99, hands down. Rouse is looking like an absolute beast. Safety is loaded, corner is very talented as well but not as deep. I see no real concerns for the defensr this year if we stay healthy.

I bet we allow less than 20 a game, and create more turnovers for sure. And with our emphasis on running less nickel, I think we are gonna be much improved against the run.

13-0 is attainable for sure. The playoff? Depends on many factors. Very small chance. We would have to have only 1 team with 1 loss, and the other top teams with 2 or more, and us to dominate every game and finish in the top 8. We will get alot of support and there will be alot of pressure on the committee, especially thr first year. And it would be hard to leave a top 8 undefeated team out of the playoff, when everyone else has 2 losses from 2-4 at least. Although oliver luck is on that committee, so that hurts us.

Offline Herdish99

• Rookie
    « Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 10:59:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well said GoHerd

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 11:04:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've had no thought about us making the 4 team playoff, because well, we're the G5 rep with an easy schedule. I'll just be ecstatic with the G5 bowl spot in the Peach, Cotton, or Fiesta.

However if we made the 4 team playoff in it's first year.....well, send the medics to my house to revive me.

Offline marshallz13

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 11:14:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I remember the Military Bowl Bazzie had three straight sacks/ TFLs and was one of the underrated performers of that game.

Offline svherd

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 11:24:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've had no thought about us making the 4 team playoff, because well, we're the G5 rep with an easy schedule. I'll just be ecstatic with the G5 bowl spot in the Peach, Cotton, or Fiesta.

However if we made the 4 team playoff in it's first year.....well, send the medics to my house to revive me.

Agree on this 100%.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 11:24:22 AM »

Offline goherd24

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 11:48:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Agree, but the playoffs arent unreachable, just extremely u likely. Many dominos would need to fall in place, beginning eith the preseason accolades, and anchored by us doing the improbable and just going undefeated (a tall task given our recent road performances), and ending with other teams falling short and losing a few games. Its nice to dream. And unfortunately,  if we dont break the playoff this year, it may not happen ever or in any of our lifetimes. Talent like we have on this team doesn't come very often.

Offline phillyherdfan

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 01:29:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've decided not to worry about the G5 bowls, selection committees, etc.  With the schedule set, it's completely out of our control.  I do think we will need BYU, Houston, Boise and Cincy to all lose at least once and likely twice to have a shot... but, we certainly can't control whether they win or lose.  All we can do is show up every week, beat the snot out of everyone on the schedule, campaign like he!! and force CUSA brass to do the same.

That said, I've been saying that I think this defense averages 14 points allowed (or less) per game with 2 shutouts.  I'm sticking with that prediction.
    « Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 02:29:36 PM by phillyherdfan »

Offline jordo7

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 02:17:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope we mention how Louisville backed out every time someone mentions our schedule.  Also would be good to mention who won last time we played at their place.  In the end we can only control what we do in 13 games

Offline Mastodon

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 03:02:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've decided not to worry about the G5 bowls, selection committees, etc.  With the schedule set, it's completely out of our control.  I do think we will need BYU, Houston, Boise and Cincy to all lose at least once and likely twice to have a shot... but, we certainly can't control whether they win or lose.  All we can do is show up every week, beat the snot out of everyone on the schedule, campaign like he!! and force CUSA brass to do the same.

That said, I've been saying that I think this defense averages 14 points allowed (or less) per game with 2 shutouts.  I'm sticking with that prediction.

I, too, am only worried about us going undefeated. Sure, I'll have fun rooting against certain teams this season, but we can't control what they do.

The first 2 games of the season could both be shutouts.  Miami and Rhode Island were woeful on offense last season.
    The poster formerly known as Blood & Thunder

Offline marshallz13

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2014, 03:24:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We need some of our opponents in conference to win some games to make us look better so I'll be rooting for them.

Offline dwaynehinkle

Re: Re: Re: An undefeated Herd?
    « Reply #17 on: May 30, 2014, 05:09:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We need some of our opponents in conference to win some games to make us look better so I'll be rooting for them.

I'd be completely thrilled if every team we played was a one loss team at the end of the season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Offline goherd24

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 05:49:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I like your thinking but that is asking a bit much of the defense. Less than 20 is realistic,14 would be a top 5 defense. Lets hope so.

Offline phillyherdfan

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 11:05:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like your thinking but that is asking a bit much of the defense. Less than 20 is realistic,14 would be a top 5 defense. Lets hope so.

Agreed.  But, with this schedule, I think it's entirely possible... especially if we throw 2+ shutouts.

Online MUHERD1

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2014, 06:04:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Do you think if they DO go undefeated (and would have to really stomp some teams), that as long as there's maybe only 1 other undefeated team they'd at least be in the discussion?  This was the year to really step out with the schedule and take a shot and unfortunately it just didn't happen but I feel like this playoff was built to allow a team like this a chance agains the #1 seed to put all this power versus non power stuff to the test

I've always thought the point of the playoff was to keep the non power 5 teams out of it. I just don't see any way we could get in. MAYBE if we just destroy every team and then all other teams have 3 losses. There's no way we deserve to be in the discussion with our recent history and this years schedule though. I'll be thrilled if they would let us in the peach bowl.

Offline HerdnClt

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2014, 07:33:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would sign a contract for the Peach today. Playing in this game would elevate the Herd's status nationally.  ( Only problem we play a couple of teams that beat us and North Texas is suppose to be good according to a buddy who went to school there.) undefeated will be difficult.
    "The Herd #1"

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2014, 07:33:51 AM »

Offline goherd24

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2014, 12:02:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would sign a contract for the Peach today. Playing in this game would elevate the Herd's status nationally.  ( Only problem we play a couple of teams that beat us and North Texas is suppose to be good according to a buddy who went to school there.) undefeated will be difficult.

If we play them, it should be at home on dec 6th. And texas teams are winless in the joan. So we got that going for us.

Offline MUther

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2014, 02:10:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He asked if we would be in the discussion for the playoff.  I'd say yes very much so.  The media outlets would mention us if for no other reason than to make sure the reasoning behind why we weren't included was put out there ad nauseum.  It also gives the fans from larger schools a reason to nod their heads at the TV set and perpetuate the myth that there should be separation within the same division.

If the playoff was expanded to 8 teams, it would be impossible to leave us out without more serious interests taking notice.  There's never more than 2-3 undefeateds.  If we're one of those and 8 teams are eligible it would cause some major blowback and they want/need this system to work after all the criticism the BCS took.  They don't want to motivate the next Scott Cowen to dig into the lawfulness of their monopoly racket.

Online MUHERD1

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2014, 02:45:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just don't know how you could look at our schedule and say we deserve to be in a 4 or even 8 team playoff.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2014, 02:45:31 AM »