Author Topic: Is Smock correct...  (Read 2426 times)

Offline jstherd

Is Smock correct...
« on: March 10, 2005, 07:57:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • when he reports (today's Gazette) that Kueck is the coach through the 2005 season? If so, forget it for a national search. We all know how those things work. Kueck will be our coach for several seasons and there will be no national search. That, of course, is MY opinion. Why would you do a national search when you have a coach under contract for a full season. That, it seems to me, would be counterproductive for the entire coaching staff and players.

Again, if Smock is correct, forget the search.

HerdFans.com

Is Smock correct...
    « on: March 10, 2005, 07:57:02 AM »

Offline Blade

Is Smock correct...
    « Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 08:11:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You have to ask yourself which is cheapest.  In that, you'll have your answer.

Offline M.U.Titan

• Rookie
    If that it true
    « Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 08:12:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • FORGET MY FURTHUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT OF MU ATHLECTICS!!!!!

Offline 2xBison

Is Smock correct...
    « Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 08:13:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • boys, we had a good run.

in a couple of years........memories is all we'll have.

they may as well ink Kueck.  how the heck are we going to recruit with an interim coach for a year???
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline Toes

• Practice Squad
    Think about it, guys, at least for a second...
    « Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 08:17:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • how (or even WHY) in the world would you put a team through spring practice with an interim, then change the head coach (and, thus, the system) over the summer, giving the players little or no chance to make the adjustment before the first game of the first season in a new conference?....allowing Coach Kueck to serve as interim through the spring and fall season allows for a good, legitimate search while also giving the team the best opportunity for success....if you decide to quit supporting the team because of this, don't let the door hit you on the way out

GO HERD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline jstherd

Is Smock correct...
    « Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 08:49:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Toes, which would you prefer:

-A change of coaches this spring and a change of systems in the fall, or

-coaches and players wondering for an entire year who the next coach will be and recruiting basically put on hold.....because MU officials are going to wait to see how Kueck does BEFORE naming a replacement. All of this being counterproductive.

Beleve me ladies and gentlemen, if Kueck has the job for the 2005 season, he has the job permanently! You can forget the search.

All of the above hinges on Smock being correct, of course.

Selecting a coach so thjat a "system: does not have to be changed in the 20 pre-season practices is a poor way to select a coach. The future, it seems to me, is more important than one season, which promises to be a transition year anyway.

Offline biggreenthunder

• All American
    Is Smock correct...
    « Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 09:06:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "jstherd"
    Toes, which would you prefer:

-A change of coaches this spring and a change of systems in the fall, or

-coaches and players wondering for an entire year who the next coach will be and recruiting basically put on hold.....because MU officials are going to wait to see how Kueck does BEFORE naming a replacement. All of this being counterproductive.

Beleve me ladies and gentlemen, if Kueck has the job for the 2005 season, he has the job permanently! You can forget the search.

All of the above hinges on Smock being correct, of course.

Selecting a coach so thjat a "system: does not have to be changed in the 20 pre-season practices is a poor way to select a coach. The future, it seems to me, is more important than one season, which promises to be a transition year anyway.

I disagree.  I feel that having Kueck as the head coach for the entire year allows for them to look  at a lot of coaches for the fall.  It would be no different than if Pruett had retired after the FT Worth Bowl and we then had to scatter to find a suitable replacement.  This allows us to put feelers out through the coming summer and fall season and make a more intelligent decision instead of having to scramble to find just a competent replacement.
    Gatorade sucks.  Water is better.

Offline marshall fanatic

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 02/2004
    Is Smock correct...
    « Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 09:19:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think this is a terrible move by the Athletic department. No one has stated the system has to change if we hire a new head coach. The way that would happend is if he brings in is own coaches. Now lets say the New Coach decides to keep the personel there already then the system does not change, only the motivation and the way it is taught.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 09:48:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "marshall fanatic"
    I think this is a terrible move by the Athletic department. No one has stated the system has to change if we hire a new head coach. The way that would happend is if he brings in is own coaches. Now lets say the New Coach decides to keep the personel there already then the system does not change, only the motivation and the way it is taught.

Recipe for disaster.

The head guy has to be the head guy or there's no use in him being the head guy... might as well just say you're going to operate the team by democratic vote, which maybe would make for an interesting proposition if this were the minor leagues, but it's not.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 09:55:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Notre Dame could hire Charlie Weis and wait on him for a couple of months, and if USC could hire Tim Floyd and wait on him for a year...

I see no problem whatsoever with doing the same here.

Offline jstherd

Is Smock correct...
    « Reply #10 on: March 10, 2005, 11:14:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If, as you suggest, biggreenblunder, that you can put out feelers (for a year!!!!0 what do you suppose will be the first question out if the mouth of those being sought? Here it is, "What's going to happen to the current coach and his staff?" Answer, "Well, uh, we. er. don't know yet, but there MAY be an opening. We're just not sure yet." "Then why are you contacting me. I have an employer now you know?"

EITHER CRAP OR GET OFF THE POT. GIVE THE JOB TO KUECK AND SAY ITS YOURS. Stop playing these immature games with the MU fans, the ones that pay the bills. Either you're going to have a national search NOW, or you're giving the job to Kueck. This inbetween bull crap will  end up being a disaster. How would you like to be the ciach for a year, trying to prove yourself and obtain the permanently, while the AD was putting out feelers? And, please don't tell me the feelers will be confidential. Bill and Monica know there's no such thing with today's techniology.

Not picking on you blunder, but unless someone comes out with a definitive statement, I feel we're about to create a monster blunder.

First, however, someone needs to deny or confirm Smock's statement....and I respect Smock as a writer.

Offline Blade

Is Smock correct...
    « Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 11:24:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think they'll allow Kueck to take this team into CUSA with a 1-year contract or at least a clause that his contract will be reviewed after 2005.  This gives him a fair chance to make believers of the school and fans.  I don't think we'll go on a national search unless someone of consequence knocks on the door.  jmo.

HerdFans.com

Is Smock correct...
    « Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 11:24:22 AM »

Offline ShawHerd

Is Smock correct...
    « Reply #12 on: March 10, 2005, 11:33:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The football coach is an employee of the state. I believe there has to be a mandatory posting of the job ( a search).

Once a man tastes retirement he may never come back. Possibly he has already told them he would come back if certain things were done. It seems to me that he would come back under certain criteria. Perhaps it is up to the administration to make the next move. Or....perhaps Pruett is gone and the timing he set up does not allow for drastic changes within the coaching ranks. Wish I knew whether things are as they appear to be.
    "I have heard people talk about the healing process - that sounds good - or closure," Dawson told the Los Angeles Times. "I don't know what closure is, but that area of my life will never be closed. But I feel alive again. I feel I can smile again."

Anonymous

Re: Think about it, guys, at least for a second...
    « Reply #13 on: March 10, 2005, 11:47:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "Toes"
    how (or even WHY) in the world would you put a team through spring practice with an interim, then change the head coach (and, thus, the system) over the summer, giving the players little or no chance to make the adjustment before the first game of the first season in a new conference?

Alabama did this in 2003 after Mike Price had been fired.  Price led them through spring ball then Mike Shula took over on May 9th, 2003. Alabama fans were none the less, not happy. hey finished 4-9. Then in 2004 they went 6-6. This is Alabama, bot Mashall, so with our resources, I'd imagine we would not fare as well.  Let's give Keuck a chnce.

Offline jstherd

Is Smock correct...
    « Reply #14 on: March 10, 2005, 02:04:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think MU has done exactly that, texas. I just wish they'd come out and say it..."Kueck is our coach for at least through the 2005 swason and beyond if he earns the job." Marcum even said, He's our man and we need to give him our support." I agree. But why are the AD and Pres going around saying we'll do a national search? I wish this athletic department would quit cloaking itself in secrecy. Mark Gale, for example, who has been at MU for 15 years, obviously didn't get a smell. Pruett picked his replacement. How many companies, corporations, institutions, etc., let the retiring CEO select his/her replacement? IMO, and I know many of you disagree, the MU fans, the players, and the university itself, have been shortchanged by not looking for the best coach possible. You don't do that by following the "goood old boy" philodophy and promoting from within.

All we need is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God. But from Marshall we never seem to get that.

Offline TheHerdFan44

• Practice Squad
    Is Smock correct...
    « Reply #15 on: March 10, 2005, 02:12:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why is it a bad move to have Kueck as interm coach for a year?

Can you imagine trying to recruit? If a recruit asked, why are you still interm head coach and not full-time head coach? Well son, because depending on how we do this year, or if anyone else is interested in the job I might not be here next season.

It's going to hurt, a lot in recruiting, if we do not name a head coach before May.

Since it is a state position, the job has to be posted and we have to interview more than one candidate, I think.

If Kueck is the man, lets get him officially designated as Head Coach (none of this interm crap) before the summer so he and his staff can effectively recruit.

Anonymous

Is Smock correct...
    « Reply #16 on: March 10, 2005, 03:54:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • jstherd, I think that Gale didn't want the job. He's been here longer than BP and probably knows the red taps etc just as well if not better.  Plus, he is more of a quiet, non-fundraising type.  We need someone that can shake $100 from a rock.  No one knew who Urban Meyer was before BGSU, at least nationally.  No one knows Larry Keuck, and hopefully we can add "before Marshall" to his monikor.

Offline carolinaherdfan

Is Smock correct...
    « Reply #17 on: March 10, 2005, 06:04:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We'll I believe when you look at Coach K you are looking at the head coach for at least the next 4 years, and hopefully more.  I've heard several football people who believe he will be very good.

I would rather have him than Skip Holtz. Unseen, and untested.  I believe he is better than Matthew's would ever be.  Really, we are in shock, and hate to lose our known product, Coach Pruett, but if we have to lose him, and with our budget I believe we are in a pretty good position with Coach K being named the head coach.  

When Stan Parrish left we were scared to death.
    When George Chaump left we were scared to death.
    When Jim Donnan left we felt like it was the end at hand.
    Now, when we evidently, have lost Bob Pruett we feel like a death in the family, but tommorrow, and every day thereafter we need to stand by, and behind Coach K, until he proves he can't handle the position.

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

:x  :x

Offline Mako

Is Smock correct...
    « Reply #18 on: March 10, 2005, 06:27:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Now, when we evidently, have lost Bob Pruett we feel like a death in the family, but tommorrow, and every day thereafter we need to stand by, and behind Coach K, until he proves he can't handle the position.

What he said.
    "Our founding fathers ... drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations.  Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expediency's sake." - Barack Obama Inaugural Address

Offline biggreenthunder

• All American
    Is Smock correct...
    « Reply #19 on: March 10, 2005, 06:54:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Not picking on you blunder,

Well, you could start by getting my screen name right.   :o

(it's BigGreenThunder, not big Green Blunder)

Make it easy on yourself and just put BGT.  that seems to be how most people respond to me.

Offline W0lfman

Is Smock correct...
    « Reply #20 on: March 10, 2005, 07:01:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    None of those guys were Bob Pruett.  Agreed?

BGT, jstherd has eye problems and sometimes he mis-types letters when he makes posts.  I dont think he was deliberately being disrespectful.

Offline carolinaherdfan

Is Smock correct...
    « Reply #21 on: March 10, 2005, 07:12:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree Wolf, but we have got little time to ponder.  Practice starts tommorrow, and we, being the MU Thunderingherd Faithful  have got to play the cards we have been dealt.  I, hate it, and I think you know that I do, but when it comes to backing the Herd, and playing the cards I've been dealt; I'm all in.

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

:mad:

HerdFans.com

Is Smock correct...
    « Reply #21 on: March 10, 2005, 07:12:13 PM »

Offline W0lfman

Is Smock correct...
    « Reply #22 on: March 10, 2005, 07:18:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    the MU Thunderingherd Faithful have got to play the cards we have been dealt
    You know what, Carolina...thats the way its always been with Marshall.  We play the hand we've been dealt and see what happens.  Even back to the old Fairfield days when we couldnt get the freaking state to buy a can of paint to paint the dressing rooms.  We'll get through it, but admittedly its gonna be tough row to hoe without BP at the helm.

Offline biggreenthunder

• All American
    Is Smock correct...
    « Reply #23 on: March 10, 2005, 07:28:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "W0lfman"

BGT, jstherd has eye problems and sometimes he mis-types letters when he makes posts.  I dont think he was deliberately being disrespectful.

Thanks for the heads up, Wolf.  I didn't really take offense, I was just trying to pull his leg a little.

Offline biggreenthunder

• All American
    Is Smock correct...
    « Reply #24 on: March 10, 2005, 07:31:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "W0lfman"

True.  But Jim Donnan wasn't George Chaump.  He was actually better.  I'm not saying the next guy is going to be better than BP.

HerdFans.com

Is Smock correct...
    « Reply #24 on: March 10, 2005, 07:31:06 PM »