Author Topic: Doc's contract  (Read 2136 times)

Offline MarshallMike

Doc's contract
« on: March 18, 2015, 09:31:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]2
  • Does anyone know if Doc ever signed a contract extension?  All I heard was that there was a verbal agreement.
    GO HERD!
    MarshallMike

HerdFans.com

Doc's contract
    « on: March 18, 2015, 09:31:35 AM »

Offline Herdmeister

Re: Doc's contract
    « Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 02:26:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Does anyone know if Doc ever signed a contract extension?  All I heard was that there was a verbal agreement.

The last known contract that he signed will end on June 30, 2021. Same date as Hamrick
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline HaveUherd

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 02:28:50 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]1
  • I hope there’s a clause in it to where we would not have to pay if there’s no season.

The following users thanked this post: ThunderValley, The E-Man

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 02:29:01 PM »
  • [Like]3
  • [Dislike]3
  • The last known contract that he signed will end on June 30, 2021. Same date as Hamrick

It would be nice if both Doc, and Hamrick celebrate their retirement together next year.

Online svherd

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 02:45:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]2
  • I am now of the opinion that Doc will be here as long as he wants to be. Record is insignificant - sadly.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Online luvherd

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 02:46:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No way he doesn’t get his base salary.  Bonuses are probably at risk.
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

Online wesnky

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 03:09:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No way he doesn’t get his base salary.  Bonuses are probably at risk.

I think base is paid by the state and bonuses through the Big Green.   So if state or MU cuts pay by 15% that only affects base.   Then depending on how his contract is written is how he would get bonus pay through BG.

I could be wrong though.

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 03:15:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • I am now of the opinion that Doc will be here as long as he wants to be. Record is insignificant - sadly.

Things don’t work that way.  People said Snyder wouldn’t be gone, then canned.  Prominent members of this board swore Herrion was safe because he was hired by Hamrick, then boom.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 03:16:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think base is paid by the state and bonuses through the Big Green.   So if state or MU cuts pay by 15% that only affects base.   Then depending on how his contract is written is how he would get bonus pay through BG.

I could be wrong though.

my understanding as well. Keep in mind, all state contracts are written for 1 year only. Example, a coach is fired after 3 years of a 5 year contract, then the BG has to pay off the last 2 years. The state is never on the hook for more than 1 year salary
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: ed swain, The E-Man

Online svherd

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 03:58:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Things don’t work that way.  People said Snyder wouldn’t be gone, then canned.  Prominent members of this board swore Herrion was safe because he was hired by Hamrick, then boom.

We shall see. We need a fresh start.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, parshall2marshall, The E-Man, GreenDaddy, coalherd

Offline CoachMaclid

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 06:33:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I can't find Doc's contract online, but there is a FOIA copy of D'Antoni's contract online.  D'Antoni's was signed in 2017, and Doc's last contract was 2015, so if there were standard language it would have been likely carried forward here, and there is no such protective language here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZJrUWferb4NkM3RVB5RWtsNnZ2YlBZUEp1blQyVFpGZVY4/view

Bigger question - as of November, D'Antoni's contract expires June 2020.  I have searched and not found announcement of a new contract or extension.  Does D'Antoni's contract with Marshall technically expire in 68 days?

Offline coalherd

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 07:31:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It would be nice if both Doc, and Hamrick celebrate their retirement together next year.

It's still only April, E-Man, but looks like you're now in the lead in the "Post of the Year" race!!  :D

The following users thanked this post: ThunderValley, The E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 07:31:22 PM »

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2020, 07:43:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • I don't remember my contract law class from MU Lewis School of Business; but IF the football season is cancelled maybe Doc could be reassigned and we could pay him a lower wage. Maybe he could teach a PE class, if he is qualified. No need to pay him a football head coach's salary. I remember frat brothers going to a football class (coaching?).  ;D

I don't hate Doc, but I think it is time to move on.
    « Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 07:46:12 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, Garbanjo, Johns1124, ThunderValley, The E-Man

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2020, 08:13:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Will it be another Holliday year of 00000 in this years NFL Draft.  Probably so.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, The E-Man

Offline HaveUherd

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2020, 08:29:51 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]1
  • I don't remember my contract law class from MU Lewis School of Business; but IF the football season is cancelled maybe Doc could be reassigned and we could pay him a lower wage. Maybe he could teach a PE class, if he is qualified. No need to pay him a football head coach's salary. I remember frat brothers going to a football class (coaching?).  ;D

I don't hate Doc, but I think it is time to move on.

Maybe he could do some pressure washing and painting at the Joan.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2020, 08:50:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I can't find Doc's contract online, but there is a FOIA copy of D'Antoni's contract online.  D'Antoni's was signed in 2017, and Doc's last contract was 2015, so if there were standard language it would have been likely carried forward here, and there is no such protective language here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZJrUWferb4NkM3RVB5RWtsNnZ2YlBZUEp1blQyVFpGZVY4/view

Bigger question - as of November, D'Antoni's contract expires June 2020.  I have searched and not found announcement of a new contract or extension.  Does D'Antoni's contract with Marshall technically expire in 68 days?

Danny told me back in February that he did get an extension at pretty much the same money. He didn't say the length.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, The E-Man

Online wasbarryb

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2020, 10:31:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe he could do some pressure washing and painting at the Joan.

I thought about that while watching the news here in Pendleton county this evening.  At the time the news was doing a piece speculating that JMU would have two athletes drafted tonight.  Couldn't help remembering a time Marshall had multiple draftees.

Offline CoachMaclid

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2020, 12:39:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I thought about that while watching the news here in Pendleton county this evening.  At the time the news was doing a piece speculating that JMU would have two athletes drafted tonight.  Couldn't help remembering a time Marshall had multiple draftees.

2003 7th Byron Leftwich  QB Jacksonville Jaguars
    2003 84th Chris Crocker  DB Cleveland Browns
    2003 122nd Steve Sciullo  Indianapolis Colts

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, parshall2marshall

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #18 on: April 24, 2020, 07:18:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

2003 7th Byron Leftwich  QB Jacksonville Jaguars
    2003 84th Chris Crocker  DB Cleveland Browns
    2003 122nd Steve Sciullo  Indianapolis Colts

How many NFL draft picks during Doc’s tenure?

Not many that I can recall........

Thanks Hamrick

Go Herd!

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2020, 08:19:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How many NFL draft picks during Doc’s tenure?

Not many that I can recall........

Thanks Hamrick

Go Herd!

once you discount the Snyder NFL picks that played for Doc, you don't have many.  D Roberts and was N Hewitt drafted or FA??  there are probably a couple more.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2020, 08:24:09 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hewitt was a FA.  I think his only recruited nfl pick was 7th rounder Darryl Roberts.  If true that’s terrible for a 10 year college head coach with the facilities and school tradition he has to work with.  Awful numbers..... flat out awful.  There are D3 programs with at least 1 in the last 10 years. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, herdfan129

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2020, 09:08:06 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is why Charlotte (lost to a D3 team in 2013) is as good as Marshall now in football.  For one over the last 5 years Charlotte has produced more nfl draft picks than Holliday recruits.  Doc Holliday (master recruiter,.....not) has recruited 1 NFL draft pick (Darryl Roberts).  However, he has had Mark Snyder recruited players get drafted but play under him.  Those are: Vinny Curry, Lee Smith, Aaron Dobson and Garrett Scott.  In the last 10 years Marshall has had just 5 NFL Draft picks.  Marshall has not had an NFL Draft pick since 2015 (Roberts).  I would say that the talent is not pouring in. I would say that Mark Snyder is a better recruiter than Doc Holliday (hc in a much tougher CUSA).   We recruit  undersized, slow and out of position players.  The NFL knows this too.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, sardistim, parshall2marshall, The E-Man, puma, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2020, 09:08:06 AM »

Offline CoachMaclid

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2020, 12:27:25 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is why I have stated several times that Marshall would be better off as an independent.  I think Snyder was able to recruit better than Holliday because C-USA was held in a higher regard back then, and the conference we are affiliated with now does not generate any respect with recruits or our own fans.  Our conference affiliation is a detriment to our brand, and any 'geographic realignment' does not fix this fundamental problem.  We were the only C-USA school that had 100% of our available games selected by the paying media partners (2nd was North Texas at 50%).  Let's own our own media, own our own schedule, and own our own branding, which should be significantly stronger than the C-USA/Sun Belt level.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Online herd2win

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2020, 12:45:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think the draft last night pretty much sums up college football today...there are only about 6 schools that even matter nationally..look how the SEC was half of the first round...looking even into round 3 there are very few non P5 even projected to get drafted...

Go back to regional conference and a G5 playoff..

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2020, 01:17:21 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is why I have stated several times that Marshall would be better off as an independent.  I think Snyder was able to recruit better than Holliday because C-USA was held in a higher regard back then, and the conference we are affiliated with now does not generate any respect with recruits or our own fans.  Our conference affiliation is a detriment to our brand, and any 'geographic realignment' does not fix this fundamental problem.  We were the only C-USA school that had 100% of our available games selected by the paying media partners (2nd was North Texas at 50%).  Let's own our own media, own our own schedule, and own our own branding, which should be significantly stronger than the C-USA/Sun Belt level.
    It would be so tough to get a schedule let alone home schedule. Once conference play starts there aren't many opportunities to play conference teams as an indy.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Johns1124, Flat Tire 2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2020, 01:17:21 PM »