Author Topic: Doc's contract  (Read 2114 times)

Offline HaveUherd

Re: Doc's contract
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2020, 02:08:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is why Charlotte (lost to a D3 team in 2013) is as good as Marshall now in football.  For one over the last 5 years Charlotte has produced more nfl draft picks than Holliday recruits.  Doc Holliday (master recruiter,.....not) has recruited 1 NFL draft pick (Darryl Roberts).  However, he has had Mark Snyder recruited players get drafted but play under him.  Those are: Vinny Curry, Lee Smith, Aaron Dobson and Garrett Scott.  In the last 10 years Marshall has had just 5 NFL Draft picks.  Marshall has not had an NFL Draft pick since 2015 (Roberts).  I would say that the talent is not pouring in. I would say that Mark Snyder is a better recruiter than Doc Holliday (hc in a much tougher CUSA).   We recruit  undersized, slow and out of position players.  The NFL knows this too.

I believe the university of Charleston also has as many draft picks as Doc, don’t they? The 3 biggest names he ever had never got drafted. Cato, Schuler, Devon Johnson...

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2020, 02:08:35 PM »

Offline puma

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2020, 02:35:15 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]1
  • I would say that Mark Snyder is a better recruiter than Doc Holliday (hc in a much tougher CUSA).   We recruit  undersized, slow and out of position players.  The NFL knows this too.

It really wasn't obvious at the time but in hindsight, those Snyder teams were absolutely stacked with talent. Even the early Holliday seasons with a mix of recruits from both coaches were the same way. It just wasn't readily apparent because of the much more difficult schedules. Having a team full of C-USA 2.0 recruits vs. C-USA 3.0 opponents made Holliday look like a better coach and recruiter than he really was.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan93, The E-Man, herdorbust

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2020, 05:18:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Starting in 2016 has every Cusa team had a player drafted except Marshall? 

The following users thanked this post: HerdPitt

Offline elginherd

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2020, 08:25:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I believe the university of Charleston also has as many draft picks as Doc, don’t they? The 3 biggest names he ever had never got drafted. Cato, Schuler, Devon Johnson...

DJ would've probably been drafted if he was healthy after his senior year.
    20-20 hindsight, he should've declared after his junior year. So tragic. The Mt. Rushmore of Herd RBs IMO are Parker, Chapman, Bradshaw & Rockhead. Of those four, DJ was the best gamebreaker.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: MUther

Offline CoachMaclid

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2020, 09:03:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Starting in 2016 has every Cusa team had a player drafted except Marshall?

North Texas hasn't had anyone drafted since 2003.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2020, 10:18:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • It would be so tough to get a schedule let alone home schedule. Once conference play starts there aren't many opportunities to play conference teams as an indy.

#FakenNews

Especially with the amount of Independents now.

SEC always plays OOC games later in season as well.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2020, 07:28:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• #FakenNews

Especially with the amount of Independents now.

SEC always plays OOC games later in season as well.
    Yes, if you want to be Alabama's HC game then go for it....  How many home games will you be able to get? Yes, you can play yearly vs  Liberty, New Mexico, UMASS with an occasional maybe Army. So that may be 2 home games. Then maybe a couple from MAC schools.
    That and no bowl connections at all and ZERO TV money. If that is the life you want then go back to FCS and hope for a good basketball tie in somewhere
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, wasbarryb, Flat Tire 2

Offline goherd73

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2020, 09:01:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes, if you want to be Alabama's HC game then go for it....  How many home games will you be able to get? Yes, you can play yearly vs  Liberty, New Mexico, UMASS with an occasional maybe Army. So that may be 2 home games. Then maybe a couple from MAC schools.
    That and no bowl connections at all and ZERO TV money. If that is the life you want then go back to FCS and hope for a good basketball tie in somewhere

Good points. Plus we get a share of all CUSA bowl games and ( I think) a double share of the bowl game we are in.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2020, 09:05:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good points. Plus we get a share of all CUSA bowl games and ( I think) a double share of the bowl game we are in.
    correct
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2020, 09:13:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's amazing how far our talent has dropped off. We don't produce any NFL players anymore.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2020, 09:26:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • It's amazing how far our talent has dropped off. We don't produce any NFL players anymore.

I think it shows also. 1 championship in 11 years in this crappy conference? Pruitt would have had 7-8 by now.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, miltonherdfan

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2020, 01:02:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

That’s right.  Nfl scouts don’t view our players in high regards.  We don’t perform well at pro days and get crushed in our OOC games every year.  Until this changes expect the same.  Our players need to dominate cusa foes in order to get better looks since we can’t win ooc with this HC.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, The E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2020, 01:02:24 PM »

Offline puma

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2020, 01:58:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I think it shows also. 1 championship in 11 years in this crappy conference? Pruitt would have had 7-8 by now.

Or someone like Lane Kiffin. He won 2 championships in 3 years with another coach's recruits. And it's not like he inherited a good or even average program. He just found a way to win the games he needed to with the talent he had.

Offline puma

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2020, 02:01:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That’s right.  Nfl scouts don’t view our players in high regards.  We don’t perform well at pro days and get crushed in our OOC games every year.  Until this changes expect the same.  Our players need to dominate cusa foes in order to get better looks since we can’t win ooc with this HC.

That was readily apparent with Tyre Brady in the combine. The best C-USA wide receiver didn't look particularly good outside of the C-USA bubble.

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2020, 02:03:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I think it shows also. 1 championship in 11 years in this crappy conference? Pruitt would have had 7-8 by now.

But Doc is a great recruiter that loves Marshall.  Sarcasm off

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2020, 02:08:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Charlotte with 2 nfl picks already in top 4 rounds.  Same Charlotte team that was beaten by a D3 in 13 and nearly lost to one in 2014.   Do D3 teams have better talent than Marshall?  Is our talent equal to excellent D3 talent?  One was already selected in the draft this year. 

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2020, 02:11:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • But Doc is a great recruiter that loves Marshall.  Sarcasm off

Very much followed Herd recruiting since 96.  Hollidays stuff was solid first few years but has been poor the last 5 years or so.  If he can’t get the high stars he’s done.  Player development isn’t there for the 2 stars to leave as 4-5 stars.  Holliday has always said its a player driven game.  He means recruit the best so he doesn’t have to coach much.
    « Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 02:13:36 PM by MicDrass1 »

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2020, 02:47:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Very much followed Herd recruiting since 96.  Hollidays stuff was solid first few years but has been poor the last 5 years or so.  If he can’t get the high stars he’s done.  Player development isn’t there for the 2 stars to leave as 4-5 stars.  Holliday has always said its a player driven game.  He means recruit the best so he doesn’t have to coach much.

And we have a Draft pick.  We waited 5 years for one and it’s our K ..... Justin R!!!   Yes!!!  We have a new player to watch.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2020, 04:21:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • IMO, Doc has concentrated TOO MUCH on the PROP 48 types and other academically weak players, who, unfortunately don't stick around MU long enough to be "developed".   When a third or more of each recruiting class doesn't stick around for two full seasons, its hard to develop "experience", quality depth, etc., etc.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Flat Tire 2

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2020, 05:01:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • IMO, Doc has concentrated TOO MUCH on the PROP 48 types and other academically weak players, who, unfortunately don't stick around MU long enough to be "developed".   When a third or more of each recruiting class doesn't stick around for two full seasons, its hard to develop "experience", quality depth, etc., etc.

Meaning ..... his recruiting program stinks

Offline HaveUherd

« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2020, 05:12:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hey guys does anyone know if Doc has a house in Huntington or where he lives? Just curious. I’ve known where other coaches have lived in the area but have no idea about Doc.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2020, 05:13:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hey guys does anyone know if Doc has a house in Huntington or where he lives? Just curious. I’ve known where other coaches have lived in the area but have no idea about Doc.

he lives on his family farm in Hurricane
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: HaveUherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2020, 05:13:17 PM »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2020, 01:43:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Actually, don't believe he lives that much farther "east" on I-64 from MU's campus than Coach D'Antoni does.  Believe D'Antoni has a home somewhere off the interstate in Eastern Cabell County.  At least Doc is still living in, and paying taxes in, WV.  A lot of MU employees live OUTSIDE Huntington, Barboursville back into Putnam County.  Lot of Newer housing developments, etc., there as compared to the aged, dated, and too often dilapidated housing within Huntington proper.  Same reason why many MU employees are residents just across the river in OHIO!!

If Huntington is ever to reverse its decline, it needs MAJOR development in, and renovations of, its HOUSING STOCK.  Where, if any, are the new single family developments of MODERN houses within Huntington?  Why no razing of significant plots of land in rundown/declining residential areas with subsequent replacement with modern row houses so prevalent and popular in most progressive urban areas?  One chief factor in efforts to attract business and industry to the city certainly will be the "quality of life" issue, and the availability/presence of sufficient quality modern HOUSING is an essential element there.

Offline Johns1124

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2020, 07:13:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Or someone like Lane Kiffin. He won 2 championships in 3 years with another coach's recruits. And it's not like he inherited a good or even average program. He just found a way to win the games he needed to with the talent he had.

Last year he has Doc to thank. He giftwrapped him the Championship.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2020, 08:01:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Actually, don't believe he lives that much farther "east" on I-64 from MU's campus than Coach D'Antoni does.  Believe D'Antoni has a home somewhere off the interstate in Eastern Cabell County.  At least Doc is still living in, and paying taxes in, WV.  A lot of MU employees live OUTSIDE Huntington, Barboursville back into Putnam County.  Lot of Newer housing developments, etc., there as compared to the aged, dated, and too often dilapidated housing within Huntington proper.  Same reason why many MU employees are residents just across the river in OHIO!!

If Huntington is ever to reverse its decline, it needs MAJOR development in, and renovations of, its HOUSING STOCK.  Where, if any, are the new single family developments of MODERN houses within Huntington?  Why no razing of significant plots of land in rundown/declining residential areas with subsequent replacement with modern row houses so prevalent and popular in most progressive urban areas?  One chief factor in efforts to attract business and industry to the city certainly will be the "quality of life" issue, and the availability/presence of sufficient quality modern HOUSING is an essential element there.

Danny lives in a gated community off Big Ben Bowen Highway. That is route 193 that runs past Home Depot/Target complex. An absolutely beautiful home on the top of the hill. (probably one of the highest points in Cabell County) We as Tip Off Club members are welcomed there every November for a get together
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: coalherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2020, 08:01:31 AM »