Author Topic: Doc's contract  (Read 2107 times)

Offline HaveUherd

Re: Doc's contract
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2020, 10:38:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Actually, don't believe he lives that much farther "east" on I-64 from MU's campus than Coach D'Antoni does.  Believe D'Antoni has a home somewhere off the interstate in Eastern Cabell County.  At least Doc is still living in, and paying taxes in, WV.  A lot of MU employees live OUTSIDE Huntington, Barboursville back into Putnam County.  Lot of Newer housing developments, etc., there as compared to the aged, dated, and too often dilapidated housing within Huntington proper.  Same reason why many MU employees are residents just across the river in OHIO!!

If Huntington is ever to reverse its decline, it needs MAJOR development in, and renovations of, its HOUSING STOCK.  Where, if any, are the new single family developments of MODERN houses within Huntington?  Why no razing of significant plots of land in rundown/declining residential areas with subsequent replacement with modern row houses so prevalent and popular in most progressive urban areas?  One chief factor in efforts to attract business and industry to the city certainly will be the "quality of life" issue, and the availability/presence of sufficient quality modern HOUSING is an essential element there.

Hey Coalherd, good post. The reason I even brought it up was because I went over to Ritter Park yesterday to run/walk. There were so many people there and I decided to veer off my normal route and went up Whitaker Blvd and the Edgemont Road area. Anyway, there was a really nice house where I could see a guy inside sitting at a desk working. After I got home I tried to find out who lived there and what he did. And when I first started searching one name that came up said D*** Holliday. I figured that couldn’t be right because that person I saw was not Doc Holliday but it also made me think that I didn’t have any idea where he lived locally. I tried to search it and couldn’t find a thing.

That area of Huntington has some great houses but even some of them look abandoned or poorly maintained. There was another one I walked by further up the hill. First house on the left after turning on N. Edgemont road. It looked like it was so nice at one time, almost like mansion. Now it’s just vacant and in disrepair. Wish I could know the history of who built it and why it got the state it’s in now. Not far past that were houses with junked up yards, etc...So even the better areas of the city aren’t exactly pristine.

As for Herdmeister talking about where DD lives. I’ve been in there a couple of times. There is some unbelievable real estate in there. Had no idea thar he lived there. That’s an area where the other half lives for sure!

The following users thanked this post: coalherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2020, 10:38:34 AM »

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2020, 11:05:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hey Coalherd, good post. The reason I even brought it up was because I went over to Ritter Park yesterday to run/walk. There were so many people there and I decided to veer off my normal route and went up Whitaker Blvd and the Edgemont Road area. Anyway, there was a really nice house where I could see a guy inside sitting at a desk working. After I got home I tried to find out who lived there and what he did. And when I first started searching one name that came up said D*** Holliday. I figured that couldn’t be right because that person I saw was not Doc Holliday but it also made me think that I didn’t have any idea where he lived locally. I tried to search it and couldn’t find a thing.

That area of Huntington has some great houses but even some of them look abandoned or poorly maintained. There was another one I walked by further up the hill. First house on the left after turning on N. Edgemont road. It looked like it was so nice at one time, almost like mansion. Now it’s just vacant and in disrepair. Wish I could know the history of who built it and why it got the state it’s in now. Not far past that were houses with junked up yards, etc...So even the better areas of the city aren’t exactly pristine.

I had a friend who rented a "coach house" off Whitaker at one of the mansions while he attended Med School in the late 1970's. It was the size of a small house. Next time go up McCoy Road on 8th Street Hill turn off on Ridgewood Drive. There were some beautiful mansions located there back in the day. I had a friend whose parents looked at a mansion to buy on Ridgewood Drive back in the 1960's. The house was huge and had a ballroom on the third floor with a stage for a full orchestra. Her father told me it would have taken a fortune to renovate it so he built a new home. I will try to find out the name of the house and if it still there. I think it was torn down. I drove up there a few years ago when I was in town and it seemed that some of the mansions were gone.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2020, 11:27:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hey Coalherd, good post. The reason I even brought it up was because I went over to Ritter Park yesterday to run/walk. There were so many people there and I decided to veer off my normal route and went up Whitaker Blvd and the Edgemont Road area. Anyway, there was a really nice house where I could see a guy inside sitting at a desk working. After I got home I tried to find out who lived there and what he did. And when I first started searching one name that came up said D*** Holliday. I figured that couldn’t be right because that person I saw was not Doc Holliday but it also made me think that I didn’t have any idea where he lived locally. I tried to search it and couldn’t find a thing.

As for Herdmeister talking about where DD lives. I’ve been in there a couple of times. There is some unbelievable real estate in there. Had no idea thar he lived there. That’s an area where the other half lives for sure!

Doc rented the house off Whitaker for a year or two when he first arrived
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: HaveUherd

Offline HaveUherd

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2020, 12:19:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I had a friend who rented a "coach house" off Whitaker at one of the mansions while he attended Med School in the late 1970's. It was the size of a small house. Next time go up McCoy Road on 8th Street Hill turn off on Ridgewood Drive. There were some beautiful mansions located there back in the day. I had a friend whose parents looked at a mansion to buy on Ridgewood Drive back in the 1960's. The house was huge and had a ballroom on the third floor with a stage for a full orchestra. Her father told me it would have taken a fortune to renovate it so he built a new home. I will try to find out the name of the house and if it still there. I think it was torn down. I drove up there a few years ago when I was in town and it seemed that some of the mansions were gone.

There are lots of old mansions in that area. It’s been 2-3 months ago I drove through there and there was an amazing looking, very new house at Ridgewood drive. If you find it on google earth it is under construction. I’d like to know who built that.

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2020, 12:32:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There are lots of old mansions in that area. It’s been 2-3 months ago I drove through there and there was an amazing looking, very new house at Ridgewood drive. If you find it on google earth it is under construction. I’d like to know who built that.

I still have family in Huntington, I will ask some questions.

A couple coal barons built homes on Ridgewood back in the day. I went to high school with a girl whose family purchase The May Estate on High Drive. The living room was nearly as large as a half court basketball floor. I never been to the former Ritter Estate off McCoy, but family members have visited it. When I was attending MU, it once housed 50 Sisters from the Pallotine Missionary Order (St. Marys).
    « Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 07:42:23 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: HaveUherd

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2020, 06:15:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Who wants to invest inside city limits and have to deal with the Huntington Gestapo and all the city fees when you could develop just outside city limits and avoid the hassle?
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2020, 06:15:21 PM »