Author Topic: Basketball  (Read 21565 times)

Offline chezdog30

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • All American
  • Member Since 01/2011
Basketball
« on: November 15, 2015, 05:20:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hate to be Debbie downer....but this team wont win 6 games this year. Terrible in all aspects. Overall crowd agreed today that we are terrible.  Sad state for the basketball program.

HerdFans.com

Basketball
    « on: November 15, 2015, 05:20:58 PM »

Offline banker

Re: Basketball
    « Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 05:30:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm sure it's only because Newberry is a final 4 caliber team.

Offline whf

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 05:31:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You do know that half the starters never touched the floor today, don't you?

Does anyone know why that was?  DD played a bunch of kids a long time that won't see the floor again until the first game of next year IMHO.  While I appreciate his doing that, it does bring out comments like the two above.

Offline chezdog30

• All American
    • Member Since 01/2011
    « Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 05:35:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The starters played enough to show me that the only way we win a game is to shoot 60+% from the arc. That wont happen

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 05:43:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • did Browning or Elmore play? swat I thought. Frampton and Bowling both started. No Alex either. Since we won 11 last yr I'm pretty certain a 6 estimate is a joke. Burks got in later and he is a scholly guy. The two listed above are WOs.

Offline MUonium

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 05:45:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • yea, it was a strategic game  :)  by the way, i don't which was worse, the WMUL play by play announcer or the game itself

Offline thunderingon

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 05:47:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hate to be Debbie downer....but this team wont win 6 games this year. Terrible in all aspects. Overall crowd agreed today that we are terrible.  Sad state for the basketball program.

Let's be sure to remember that prediction.  No defending this loss...turnovers, poor rebounding not aggressive and didn't shoot well.  But we are better than this and that is obvious to most.  Coach was experimenting and lost.  Kelly, Elmore and Browning didn't play.  We'll win more than 6... ;)

Offline herdthatandrew

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 05:48:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • yea, it was a strategic game  :)  by the way, i don't which was worse, the WMUL play by play announcer or the game itself
    That guy was struggling

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 05:49:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is inexcusable.  No matter who we sat.

Offline Herdfan2005

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 06:32:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Out rebounded, out hustled and stunk it up from the foul line.  Look on the bright side.  Marshall is still 0-0.

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 06:33:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not good. This is going to be a long season. Browning and Elmore need to be big time players or we will struggle like last year.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 06:45:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Did Kelly play at all today?  You know, the guy supposedly the best athlete ever at MU.  Just hope he does not have some type of off the court issues that kept him on the sidelines.  You know, the kind that many players had that resulted us in having to dump Tom H.

As for the WMUL announcer, well he kept saying that this kind of game could be used as a learning/teaching experience by the Herd.  He said our "young" players could gain a lot of experience by playing against someone "better than them".

LOL, if a D-2 team like Newberry has a lot of players "better" than ours, then this season is going to be very forgetful from the get-go!!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 06:45:52 PM »

Offline Big City

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 06:50:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Yep it sucks but I'm not going to jump off just yet. It's early.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 07:02:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • yeah the alarm hasn't even sounded...go back to sleep.

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2015, 07:15:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Out rebounded, out hustled and stunk it up from the foul line.  Look on the bright side.  Marshall is still 0-0.
    \
    Sounds like our former Herd basketball coach. Seriously, I am hoping Danny can get it done.

Offline banker

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2015, 07:18:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I understand we had some guys not play, but we gave up 101 points to something called a Newberry.  We shot 41.8% from the field and 52% from the line against whatever a Newberry is?

Offline Herdfan2005

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2015, 07:27:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Newberry played 12 guys that and played fast the entire game.  They are also a veteran team.  Kelly does not off the court issue.  He did something to his right shoulder.  He was not in a brace or sling so I would expect him to be available vs. Tennessee.  

Offline chezdog30

• All American
    • Member Since 01/2011
    « Reply #17 on: November 15, 2015, 07:29:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My opinion is we are attempting to run an NBA offense with a HS roster. We have height but fundementals on a D1 level is lacking. So many opportunities to pass underneath for easy baskets that ended up as a running floater or bad 3 attempt. We were also much slower than Newberry.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2015, 07:30:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • glad to hear that...I was worried that we might have some dissention between DD and some players. If Browning is back and Kelly then good deal Lucille

Online Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #19 on: November 15, 2015, 07:44:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I swear the way D'antoni is recruiting is eerily similar to Mark Snyder's recruiting....In that regardless of what the team needs in terms of positions, he gets the type of player he likes and will just try and make it work.....

Just put 3 shooting guards and a couple of 3 point shooting small forwards out there....and hope it works....no point guards, no big men  

In the sense that of Snyder LOVED tight ends and running backs and his recruiting classes were mostly tight ends and running backs and I would say "hey WTF"s he doing?"....How is he going to field a team with these recruits......and the experts on here would tell me how those TE's and running backs will make super athletic O-linemen and linebackers....then when the season starts we have a weak defense and bad o-line....

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2015, 07:47:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Did Kelly play at all today?  You know, the guy supposedly the best athlete ever at MU.  Just hope he does not have some type of off the court issues that kept him on the sidelines.  You know, the kind that many players had that resulted us in having to dump Tom H.

You may be right about Kelly and his background. UM coach Jim Larranag did a great job at Bowling Green and then took George Mason to the Final Four. He was a no nonsense coach type of coach. I am starting to wonder about Kelly based on the following link.

"He averaged 6.0 points and 3.7 rebounds in 27 games, struggling to adjust to the pace of ACC play. He missed four games late in the season after he was suspended for a violation of team rules. He returned for UM’s final four games, averaging seven minutes a night and scoring one basket."
    http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2014/04/18/basketball-f-james-kelly-leaves-miami-hurricanes/

I like Danny, but Kelly is not close to being the best athlete at Marshall. Danny should know, he played with Jim Davison. If you know Danny, he is the most positive person in the world, but reality is reality.
    « Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 07:50:01 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2015, 07:58:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah, and all last year all we heard was well wait until the two foreign players get use to the American game; wait until they have been in the weight room and get into good playing shape, etc.  Yeah, we'll have a smooth passing 6'7" point guard with long arms that will cause so much match up troubles for other teams.  Now it appears Danny is either going to go with Browning as a point guard, at least till Elmore is finally eligible.  And, oh yeah, by the way, our big point guard is really only about 6'5".  Did either of the 2 Serbs play today?  Did either look like he had a better clue on how the American college basketball game is suppose to be played?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2015, 07:58:36 PM »

Offline Herdfan2005

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2015, 08:06:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah, and all last year all we heard was well wait until the two foreign players get use to the American game; wait until they have been in the weight room and get into good playing shape, etc.  Yeah, we'll have a smooth passing 6'7" point guard with long arms that will cause so much match up troubles for other teams.  Now it appears Danny is either going to go with Browning as a point guard, at least till Elmore is finally eligible.  And, oh yeah, by the way, our big point guard is really only about 6'5".  Did either of the 2 Serbs play today?  Did either look like he had a better clue on how the American college basketball game is suppose to be played?

Coal have you been to a game this year?   He is taller then 6'5".  Look at him compared to the other guys on the floor height wise and you will see the difference.  Alex saw limited minutes and Milan had zero.  He will be the starting PG until Elmore gets eligible in early December.  

I as a fan am not too concerned with today's loss. 
    « Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 08:11:04 PM by Herdfan2005 »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2015, 08:28:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Umm, according to some these first two "games" have meant exactly nothing.  So, no, can't say that I would waste my time on "nothing" but will be there for the "real" thing, against JMU on the 27th.  Hopefully, by then DD will decide to put his "real" team on the floor and they will put forth a "real" effort, something that was apparently not present against Newberry!!
    « Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 08:31:56 PM by coalherd »

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2015, 08:34:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • People defending this need to sober up.

Does Newberry, a team I've never heard of, have any D1 players?  No.

Do we?  Technically, we do have 13. 

Did any of the scholarship players play?  Yes.  So, we should have won the game. 

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2015, 08:34:21 PM »