Author Topic: Marshall strength coach looking for consistency  (Read 1176 times)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
  • Franchise Owner
  • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
Marshall strength coach looking for consistency
« on: August 24, 2017, 06:20:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    He and his staff were not exempt from the total re-examination of the program after the 2016 season. Day’s job is not for the timid, and he put himself and his staff on the spot.

And that challenge filters down to those who use the MU weight room.

“The No. 1 thing, in sitting down with Coach [Doc] Holliday, we wanted to identify what was going on with this football team was the lack of consistency,” Day said. “Of being our best versions of ourselves. We saw flashes of it at different points in the year, but it was too far and few between those moments.”

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports-marshall-university/20170823/marshall-strength-coach-looking-for-consistency

HerdFans.com

Marshall strength coach looking for consistency
    « on: August 24, 2017, 06:20:31 AM »

Offline llorabeth

• Rookie
    Re: Marshall strength coach looking for consistency
    « Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 06:59:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • http://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports-marshall-university/20170823/marshall-strength-coach-looking-for-consistency
    Great article Doug! Strength staff is impressive. You can see the transformation within the team.  If they did side by side, Freshman to Sophomore shots it would be remarkable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 07:15:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We need a gigantic leap forward in this department. I'm hoping a full year with the guys changes our fortunes

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 11:31:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We need a gigantic leap forward in this department. I'm hoping a full year with the guys changes our fortunes

I'm hoping so as well. Last year all we heard about was how many strength records we broke. Nothing showed on the field, we were a very slow team and often times got manhandled up front.

The following users thanked this post: MUinDE

Offline HerdHead

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 07:22:21 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]1
  • So the staff calls them "LOSERS"? 

I'm not one for coddling kids, necessarily, but we've heard over and over about some of these kids coming from extremely rough backgrounds needing "loved up".  Some have no parents, no family life at home.  We recruit them, bring them to campus.... they miss a lifting session, and then we label them as a LOSER.

What about "Needs improvement"
    "Needs to Work Harder"
    "Needs to Get Better"
    "Falling Behind" or if we're sticking with the football analogies:

"Shut Out"
    "Scoreless"
    or, dare I say, the "3-9" column?

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 08:30:30 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Because when you get fired from your job because you no call no showed, well you needed improvement, but you were also a loser. You didn't even show for a W. with that said, this staff needs to put their name on that board until the team shows better strength and conditioning on the field.

Offline HerdHead

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 09:40:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Read the article.... minuses are given for more than just "no showing".

Some player doesn't tuck in his shirt, some player eats Fat Patty's that afternoon and doesn't make weight, some player has bad body language (REALLY?!?), and they get a minus. 

Bad body language -- YOU'RE A LOSER!! 

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 09:52:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]2
  • Teams slow.  Herd needs a speed coach.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 09:54:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • One thing this article did point out is that during Doc's tenure, and perhaps just prior thereto, Marshall has had a run of some strength and conditioning coaches who have subsequently gone on to the same position at a lot bigger, Power programs in the ACC, SEC, etc.  Can't help believe these SC coaches have been big factors in our general overall football success over the last several years.

Offline Apollo

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 11:30:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Read the article.... minuses are given for more than just "no showing".

Some player doesn't tuck in his shirt, some player eats Fat Patty's that afternoon and doesn't make weight, some player has bad body language (REALLY?!?), and they get a minus. 

Bad body language -- YOU'RE A LOSER!!

Online chris88

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 09:40:53 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Teams slow.  Herd needs a speed coach.

No. Team is slow. Need to recruit faster players.

There are no real secrets in sports.  With some smaller differences, I would assume most programs do similar things in regards to performance training/nutrition as their budget allows. I mean all of the SC people go to same conferences in off-season and all know people at a variety of programs.

Using it as an excuse to go 3-9 is lame.  Colerain HS in Cincy is renowned for their weight program....much like Nebraska used to be. And like Nebraska they run the option....which is great when you can physically manhandle teams. But when you come against teams in playoffs etc just as strong you often lose due to lack of schematic flexibility. I believe in the axiom that you can't win games in offseason/summer, but you can lose them. Assuming your level is equal to your opposition in this realm I don't see this as a huge differentiation point.

If the coaches answer to last year is to expect more out of players, than I think we're going to be disappointed.  Coaches need to look in mirror, because no amount of physical training is going to fix flawed schematics and lack of comparative talent.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Apollo, The E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 09:40:53 AM »