Author Topic: ESPN predictor  (Read 1270 times)

Offline W0lfman

ESPN predictor
« on: October 01, 2017, 09:59:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

HerdFans.com

ESPN predictor
    « on: October 01, 2017, 09:59:08 PM »

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    Re: ESPN predictor
    « Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 11:03:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree +1

Offline morpheus

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 11:23:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • from looking at those stats, defense doesn't appear to be a 49er specialty.  Herd O should roll if we play with the same intensity as Cincy game.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline wvmafia

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 11:24:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • People in favor of some of the pud schools that CUSA has taken (ODU, Charlotte, North Texas & UTSA) like to talk about the "near future" of these jokes and the size of their markets, etc but what they fail to recognize in their analysis is that these schools DEFINITELY remember Chad, Byron, Randy, etc and we are their Super Bowl, Daytona 500, Game 7 of the World Series, Stanley Cup & NBA Finals, the Masters and Wimbledon all wrapped up into one.  For their fans, coaching staff and players.  We go in with a target on our back EVERY GAME in this conference.  Hell, in 2009 3 of the teams I mentioned didn't even have operational football programs.  Our guys face this several times per year.  Not on that, but the inferiority complex of WKU and their fan base puts a bullseye on us as well.  So the 15% chance or so that the "predictor" gives Charlotte may not be based in this theory, but that is why they have a 15%+ chance.

Go Herd!  Beat Charlotte High School!

"When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows. And if you do that, if you do that, we cannot lose."

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 11:32:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The FPI also has us as the East favorites with an 18% chance to win the conference.

FAU (17%) is the only other east team above 5%. UTSA is the overall favorite at 24%

Offline NerdHaitian

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 11:40:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Charlotte is definitely in the running for worst FBS team.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 11:42:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • UTSA is the favorite because they beat Baylor earlier this season.  But that doesn't look like that big of an accomplishment right now.  Give them props though, they are the frontrunner at this time.

Offline herdadreh

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 11:52:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://twitter.com/WolfordDale/status/914670839370567680

Hmmm. At 7 to 1 odds to win/lose, who would I take? Would I lay $70 on the Herd to win $10? I would not make that bet.

So put me on the "less than 87.4% chance to win" side. However, I do not think it is that far off.

4 to 1 (80%), I think I'd back The Herd. So, somewhere in the 80s seems right.

Online herd2win

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 12:17:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No disrespect to Charlotte but it would be a monumental blunder to lose this game....starting to get the fan base back and having homecoming the following week....could have 35000 for homecoming if we have a good showing at Charlotte.

Offline MUther

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 06:46:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • People in favor of some of the pud schools that CUSA has taken (ODU, Charlotte, North Texas & UTSA) like to talk about the "near future" of these jokes and the size of their markets, etc but what they fail to recognize in their analysis is that these schools DEFINITELY remember Chad, Byron, Randy, etc and we are their Super Bowl, Daytona 500, Game 7 of the World Series, Stanley Cup & NBA Finals, the Masters and Wimbledon all wrapped up into one.  For their fans, coaching staff and players.  We go in with a target on our back EVERY GAME in this conference.  Hell, in 2009 3 of the teams I mentioned didn't even have operational football programs.  Our guys face this several times per year.  Not on that, but the inferiority complex of WKU and their fan base puts a bullseye on us as well.  So the 15% chance or so that the "predictor" gives Charlotte may not be based in this theory, but that is why they have a 15%+ chance.

Go Herd!  Beat Charlotte High School!

That's one way to think of Charlotte.  Another is they think we're a joke because they came here and beat us in their second year of being in this conference and 4th year of being a football team.  We will likely roll them, but their fans throw last year in our face every time we confront them with their suckage this year.  So pardon me if I don't believe we are their super bowl.  What I think is that they simply see us as a team that they beat in our house and will try to do it again at home. 

WKU has no fan base to speak of and the fans they do have don't play football.  They just had a damn good coach with a great offensive mind the last few years.  This year not so much.  They were the better team for three years against us and were usually more prepared from the schedule they played than we were.

We aren't anyone's super bowl.  But if we continue to play at the level of our competition as we have done in the past, then some of these guys will sneak up on us and some of them will just be the better team.  That goes for MTSU at their place, too.  No excuse for losing there, other than ourselves, the last couple times.

We need to treat every team we play as if it is our super bowl.  That is how champions stay champions.  If the guys aren't motivated enough by getting the crown back from Charlotte, it won't be Charlotte beating us because they revere us, it'll be us imploding and beating ourselves because we didn't take them seriously enough.  So such thing as an automatic win for a champion.  Champions go out and earn it every single week.  You think Saban tells Alabama to take the week off because it's only Kentucky?

Offline pdunn

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 06:55:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They beat us last year at home, badly.  Our team seems to have its collective head in the right place.  I think you need not fear a let down.  Quite the opposite.  I think UNCC needs to evacuate their women and children before Saturday.
    "On rainy days, the early justices would enliven case conferences with wine. On other days, even if the sun was shining, Chief Justice John Marshall would order wine anyway, saying, 'Our jurisdiction is so vast that it must be raining somewhere.' "

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 08:48:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well if we dont beat what is arguably the worst team in d1 football then we have a real problem. This should be at least a 40 pt win.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 08:48:27 PM »

Offline CoachMaclid

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 09:10:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Guess who is laughing at all of you who are calling Charlotte inferior, because he is undefeated against Marshall in the last 22 month!

Offline herdadreh

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 11:06:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall's a 15 point favorite, and historically in CFB 15 point favorites are expected (best fit of win% to point spread, data* from almost 10,000 games for BCS teams from 1999 through 2010) to win 84 to 85% of the time.

* football.stassen.com/pointspread

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 11:28:12 AM by herdadreh »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 11:06:34 AM »