Author Topic: MU Basketball Deaundra Murphy ...  (Read 3220 times)

Offline CoachSkip

MU Basketball Deaundra Murphy ...
« on: October 10, 2017, 11:13:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • will apparently be walking on at MU . Hes a 6'-4" guard , earned all state at St Joe . Apologies if its on here somewhere , couldn't find it .
    It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance . --- Thomas Sowell
    If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. --- Ronald Reagan
    Character , not circumstances , make the man. --- Booker T Washington
    Bill Nye is an i d i o t
    Ive never killed a mountain lion with my bare hands but Ive choked a few cougars .

HerdFans.com

MU Basketball Deaundra Murphy ...
    « on: October 10, 2017, 11:13:32 AM »

Offline Apollo

Re: MU Basketball Deaundra Murphy ...
    « Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 11:14:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Need some bigs to walk on.

Offline whf

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 11:16:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Another walk-on guard; practice player I expect.  Agree, we need som height and skills under the basket.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 01:08:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Another walk-on guard; practice player I expect.  Agree, we need som height and skills under the basket.

Guys we are set inside for years to come. DD can be very selective on bigs from here on out. You have Peneva for 2 more years. Then you have Williams and George for 4 more years and Bennett for 5 years. Williams and George will just keep filling out at 6'8" and 6'7". And you also have Bledsoe that is a Ryan Taylor type player .Danny is looking to sign another big this year. Starting next year i'm not worried about the front line in any way. And you can't get to many BIG bigs because they couldn't play this style. Bennett can really run for a guy his size. But he will have to play in 5-8 min spurts and get breathers. It's at a breakneck pace.

Offline pembrook burrows III

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 01:16:08 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is an extra special walk-on, perhaps the best since Loop. I've seen Murphy play 4-5 times, and he is very talented offensively as a 6-4 guard. He is a bit thin in his frame, so a year to work on that will do him a lot of good. This is a kid who averaged 27.4 ppg (not 24.7 as printed in the paper), and went head-to-head several times with Jarrod West, winning some and losing some. His last outing was in the N-S All-Star game in June, where he scored 25 points and was named the South MVP. Keep in mind the South squad also featured Davidson's Luke Frampton, who scored 18. The North MVP was Jarrod West. I understand that Murphy and West are pretty good friends, so keep an eye on the chemistry between those guys in the years to come. 

Online wasbarryb

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 01:36:54 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is an extra special walk-on, perhaps the best since Loop. I've seen Murphy play 4-5 times, and he is very talented offensively as a 6-4 guard. He is a bit thin in his frame, so a year to work on that will do him a lot of good. This is a kid who averaged 27.4 ppg (not 24.7 as printed in the paper), and went head-to-head several times with Jarrod West, winning some and losing some. His last outing was in the N-S All-Star game in June, where he scored 25 points and was named the South MVP. Keep in mind the South squad also featured Davidson's Luke Frampton, who scored 18. The North MVP was Jarrod West. I understand that Murphy and West are pretty good friends, so keep an eye on the chemistry between those guys in the years to come. 

You think that relationship may have anything to do with him coming here?

Sometimes it seems our best players turn out to be among our best recruiters too.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 01:52:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree on him being a special walk on. Also agree that we are set in the middle for the next 4 years. This team will be exciting tot watch. Danny has been recruiting the type of players he wants to run his system.
    When you watch us practice you will see why he is not infatuated with cumbersome big guys. They MIST be able to run, pass and shoot the ball from outside. He is making somewhat of an exception with Iran but he too is mobile and is developing a shot from the perimeter.
    He has excellent footwork for a big man. Danny compares him to Shaq in that area. He also has very soft hands and can pass the ball
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline MUonium

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 02:17:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • everybody obviously liked and pulled for Loop including me (a good story).  it is somewhat amazing that he achieved a starting role, developed from basically, a single shooting niche.  very few DI places/coaches where he could have done that.  otherwise he was walkon or DII material.

most of the current walkons or any of the 2 or 3 position non-starting guards on roster, by comparisons, could possibly achieve the shooting aspect, but where almost all differ is they have more speed, quickness and athletic ability potentially leading personally, to better D and a more versatile offensive game.  as has been said many times, it appears we have plenty of guards and GD/SF players to make up the perimeter shooting aspect that Loop and Browning took with them.   

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 03:02:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

What's his game like for those of us who haven't seen him play?

Thanks!

Online Luke80

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 04:19:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I actually worry as much about missing Loop as I do Browning and Taylor.  Loop was not just a good 3 point shooter he was elite. He is currently listed as having the 138th best 3 point shooting percentage in NCAA history at 41.04%  (200 attempts minimum) that percentage includes his RS FR year that he basically rode the pine for Herrion. For the past 3 seasons in Danny's offense other teams had no choice but to respect Loop and commit someone to stay close to him 25 feet from the basket. That opened up the lanes for everyone else. Danny would take another Loop in a heartbeat - defensive deficiency and all.

Offline lovetheherd2

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 04:23:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Since I graduated in 1968, I was fortunate to see the Iron Five team that included Danny D.

The two forwards were Jim Davidson 6'4" high jumper from Logan and 6'7" George Stone from Covington, KY.

Times have changed, the game has changed but it you can shoot the lights out (Stone) and if you are tough enough, (Davidson) the team can find a way to win.

I think Danny's system melding what's known as Beckly - Mullens fast paced with what Mike D'Antoni learned in European BB and applied in NBA (worked at Phoenix & now working in Houston) can work in Huntington.

Getting Iran eligible and in shape to run with the team should make it better than anything we've seen for awhile. Note I said should, injuries and other non foreseen obstacles could delay but really look forward to this year and next.

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 04:41:30 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Banjo -

I don't want to over-sell this young man, but he can score in a variety of ways - dunks, drives, and threes. The linked video is against WV Class A competition, so take it with a grain of salt, but near the end there is some interesting footage of him competing directly against Jarrod West. I think you will like what you see.

&t=2s

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 04:41:30 PM »

Offline chris88

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 04:43:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Loop was terrific when hot, but he also had stretches of games where he couldn't hit open shots....which only exacerbated his defensive liability.  I think we'll miss Browning more and of course Taylor's versatility/skill.  Not worried about bigs on offense, but our D needs a rim protector so when a guard or forward breaks down defense it isn't always a layup or dunk.  In addition, we have to be better at rebounding vs good rebounding teams.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline Pud

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 05:13:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • There is a saying amongst coaches "if you are relying on walkons, you better be getting your resume' in order".
    "Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right"

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 05:43:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Banjo -

I don't want to over-sell this young man, but he can score in a variety of ways - dunks, drives, and threes. The linked video is against WV Class A competition, so take it with a grain of salt, but near the end there is some interesting footage of him competing directly against Jarrod West. I think you will like what you see.

&t=2s

Certainly appears to be a very nice get, with potential to be a contributor

+1

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 06:40:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nobody said we are relying on walk-ons. In 2012, Loop walked on and eventually became a significant contributor. My theory is that Murphy may be the best walk-on prospect we have had since 2012. That's all.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 07:29:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nobody said we are relying on walk-ons. In 2012, Loop walked on and eventually became a significant contributor. My theory is that Murphy may be the best walk-on prospect we have had since 2012. That's all.

Deandra Murphy is a huge get for a walk-on. That kid went head to head with West in HS.

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 07:30:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here's the H-D article on him:

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/high_school_sports/former-st-joe-star-murphy-coming-to-mu/article_7d4ae62d-a349-5603-8ce2-ba77e9ae7763.html

He's a preferred walk-on. According to the article, he was also offered a preferred walk-on spot at Cincinnati.

And I agree with Pembrook, this is one walk-on to watch. He's thin but crazy athletic and quick and can create his own offense.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 07:33:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He was at practice today watching. I talked to him and he is itching to go. Said he was going to love the style of play.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 07:25:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He was at practice today watching. I talked to him and he is itching to go. Said he was going to love the style of play.

I too spent some time with him at practice yesterday. He will begin practicing with The Herd in January. He can play next year. He is one excited young man.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline MUonium

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 08:27:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I too spent some time with him at practice yesterday. He will begin practicing with The Herd in January. He can play next year. He is one excited young man.

curiosity killed the cat....i have to wonder why not this yr if he graduated this yr?             

May 2017: http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/high_school_sports/st-joe-s-murphy-signs-with-ysu/article_e4ea76bb-c340-5346-ac3e-6f9cc41a5bbd.html

Feb 2017: http://www.nextuprecruits.com/news_article/show/758762

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 08:59:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He was going to Youngstown State: then he committed to Alderson Broaddus and now he is at MU. Sounds like he may contribute?

Saturday, June 10, 2017
    Alderson Broaddus Gets Huge Commit from DeAundra Murphy
    It was roughly a week ago that Huntington St. Joseph's DeAundra Murphy announced that he was decommitting to Youngstown State. The 6'4" Murphy was a 1st-team West Virginia Class A all-state basketball player that had been recruited heavily this past season by both Alderson Broaddus and Fairmont State. He also had an offer to play at Radford as well as many other small college opportunities. When Jerrod Calhoun left Fairmont State to take the head coaching position at Youngstown State, he extended an opportunity for DeAundra to play for the Penguins. He quickly accepted but has since had a change of heart. Murphy is an outstanding player that led the state of West Virginia in scoring this past season. His senior statistics show that he averaged 27.4 points,  6.6 rebounds, 3.5 steals and 2.5 assists per game.

http://battlerbeat.blogspot.com/2017/06/alderson-broaddus-gets-huge-commit-from.html
    « Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:01:05 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 08:59:30 AM »

Offline wvmafia

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 09:19:02 AM »
  • [Like]3
  • [Dislike]0
  • My son graduated from St. Joe last year and played all 4 years with De & my wife and I were the team's official scorers for the last 3 years, including 2016, when De along with Keith Clemmons lead the Irish to their first ever Boy's State Basketball Championship. He's a VERY skilled scorer and is MADE to run!  He also has the ability to play lock down defense.  He and Jarrod are very good friends.  Look at the link below and see the last two years of games they played against each other.  West is NOT the scorer that De is, but De is NOT the "coach on the floor"/QB that West is.  When Murphy gets hot, it is very, very impressive.  He had one game of 10-11 in the first half and one game of 27 in the first half, both have articles written by Dave Walsh in the Herald Dispatch.  Google "St. Joe Murphy Herald Dispatch" and read some of what you find.  I'm not tooting his horn because we are close to him OR because he lead a team that got my son, wife and I, a state championship plaque and a mile of cut net string at my Alma Mater --- lol!

I forwarded every game stats to the Herd coaching staff after I finalized the stats on MaxPreps.  He was being recruited by quite a few teams.  I just looked and he had 16 D-1 and 49 D-1 MaxPreps subscribed schools "following" him, which meant they were automatically sent his stats after they were posted. 

I know it's a cliche but he's a FAR better young man than he is basketball player. 

I vouch for every stat in their, as I kept them and recorded them.  lol.  Take a look at his "season" last year.  He was, according to MaxPreps & Charleston newspaper as the 2nd leading scorer in the state last year and needed 49 in the final regular season game to be #1 and had 45 --- and it was NOT a selfish 45.  As for walk-on's, trust me when I tell you as someone who knows his game probably better than everyone but his Father and his AAU coach, he's an AMAZING "get".  If he's able to bulk up and get playing time as a Freshman, he WILL earn a scholarship.

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/team/schedule.aspx?schoolid=68d67a65-6e65-49df-945e-f9cf349bcd24&ssid=5f66328c-ed6b-4899-9d0d-3df9995e1b7b

"When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows. And if you do that, if you do that, we cannot lose."

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, Garbanjo, 2xBison, parshall2marshall, Buffalo Bop

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 09:26:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He truly is a great young man. You can tell that by talking to him. DD seems to have a knack for getting great kids that can play ball. Jarred West is also a super kid. If I ever meet his dad i'm going to tell him what an amazing job he did raising him. He comes after practice and shakes hands and it's yes sir and no sir. That means a lot to me.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, horsrman

Offline coalherd

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 03:22:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Please clarify, HM or herdorbust, whether he was enrolled at AB this semester or not.  Is he currently enrolled at MU?  Will he have to sit out till the start of 2018-19 season or until start of second semester in 18-19?  Thanks in advance!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 03:22:40 PM »