Author Topic: Dillon  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Always THE HERD

Dillon
« on: March 17, 2019, 11:52:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Don't see much discussion from "those that know"...(I certainly DON'T know anything)…...is he a potential starter in 19/20 or is he someone that just sees a little time here and there?

HerdFans.com

Dillon
    « on: March 17, 2019, 11:52:21 AM »

Offline herdorbust

Re: Dillon
    « Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 12:50:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Don't see much discussion from "those that know"...(I certainly DON'T know anything)…...is he a potential starter in 19/20 or is he someone that just sees a little time here and there?

I love Dillon's game. He is actually much better than I was expecting. Tall 6'5" guard  that can handle and score. Has a good outside shot and is already as tough or tougher than anyone on the team.  We Know most likely Taylor will be the PG and Kinsey, George and Williams will be the 3-4-5 IMO at least starting the year. I wouldn't mind at all to see Dillon get that 2 spot because it gives us much more size. That would be 6'3"  6'5"  6'5"  6'7"  6'9"    Then have West, Iran, Cam and others off the bench.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Always THE HERD

Offline Always THE HERD

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 01:06:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I love Dillon's game. He is actually much better than I was expecting. Tall 6'5" guard  that can handle and score. Has a good outside shot and is already as tough or tougher than anyone on the team.  We Know most likely Taylor will be the PG and Kinsey, George and Williams will be the 3-4-5 IMO at least starting the year. I wouldn't mind at all to see Dillon get that 2 spot because it gives us much more size. That would be 6'3"  6'5"  6'5"  6'7"  6'9"    Then have West, Iran, Cam and others off the bench.
    I've seen others state that they feel Cam will start......I hope to see additional comments regarding Dillon.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 02:07:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The only reason i said dillon over cam starting is outside shot. But cam can flat out play.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 03:05:54 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I love Dillon's game. He is actually much better than I was expecting. Tall 6'5" guard  that can handle and score. Has a good outside shot and is already as tough or tougher than anyone on the team.  We Know most likely Taylor will be the PG and Kinsey, George and Williams will be the 3-4-5 IMO at least starting the year. I wouldn't mind at all to see Dillon get that 2 spot because it gives us much more size. That would be 6'3"  6'5"  6'5"  6'7"  6'9"    Then have West, Iran, Cam and others off the bench.

West will always start for some unknown reason. I love his game and appreciate his effort but he should not be starting imo.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Collis P

Offline MUther

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 05:17:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • West will always start for some unknown reason. I love his game and appreciate his effort but he should not be starting imo.

If they think starting him can put the other team in a hole then I'm good with it.  History does not support that, though, as we dug a hole for ourselves most games early on.  If he's not scoring then he needs to be a turnover machine so others can score.  Solid bench player but not consistent enough unless things change.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 05:45:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Danny has told us what he expects to happen but things can change, of course.
    All I knos is we have great talent already here and with Dajour coming in. Assuming we get Marko as expected we should be just fine. Obviously we would love to have a man in the middle. That is still unsettled
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline Always THE HERD

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 05:48:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Danny has told us what he expects to happen but things can change, of course.
    All I knos is we have great talent already here and with Dajour coming in. Assuming we get Marko as expected we should be just fine. Obviously we would love to have a man in the middle. That is still unsettled
    Do you see Dillon getting significant playing time Herdmeister?

Offline MUtim

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Member Since 08/2009
    « Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 05:49:54 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • I’ve been a big West fan, but he has really faltered most of his sophomore year outside of defense.  Don’t know if I have ever seen anyone struggle with contested layups like he does.  Gets a steal then misses the layups.  He was bad at it last year and just plain horrendous this year.  I’m sure some of it had to do with his height, but we play against other similar sized guards and they don’t struggle like West.  I’m to the point where if he can’t improve offensively, then he needs to come off the bench.  He is a huge liability offensive wise.  I’d rather have Kinsey in that 3rd guard spot.  He is almost as good defensively, but much better offensively.
    We still need that inside presence.  Sustic is horrible.  He looked below average in his tryout.  I was baffled when we offered.  Conversely, I thought Byers looked great in his try out, and am baffled why he struggled so much this year.  He’s a shooter who consistently passed up open 3’s. 
    I think Dan is a great coach, but below average recruiter.  The fact he will only offer a hand full of recruits each year, comes back and bites him when we strike out on those few.  Then we are left trying to sign projects such as Sustic.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, ed swain

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 05:55:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Do you see Dillon getting significant playing time Herdmeister?

Frankly, we will have so much depth I'm not sure how many minutes anyone will get
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline Always THE HERD

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 05:56:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I’ve been a big West fan, but he has really faltered most of his sophomore year outside of defense.  Don’t know if I have ever seen anyone struggle with contested layups like he does.  Gets a steal then misses the layups.  He was bad at it last year and just plain horrendous this year.  I’m sure some of it had to do with his height, but we play against other similar sized guards and they don’t struggle like West.  I’m to the point where if he can’t improve offensively, then he needs to come off the bench.  He is a huge liability offensive wise.  I’d rather have Kinsey in that 3rd guard spot.  He is almost as good defensively, but much better offensively.
    We still need that inside presence.  Sustic is horrible.  He looked below average in his tryout.  I was baffled when we offered.  Conversely, I thought Byers looked great in his try out, and am baffled why he struggled so much this year.  He’s a shooter who consistently passed up open 3’s. 
    I think Dan is a great coach, but below average recruiter.  The fact he will only offer a hand full of recruits each year, comes back and bites him when we strike out on those few.  Then we are left trying to sign projects such as Sustic.
    D'Antonie is  responsible for the recruiting BUT CERTAINLY does NOT do ALL of the recruiting.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 05:59:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    I think Dan is a great coach, but below average recruiter.  The fact he will only offer a hand full of recruits each year, comes back and bites him when we strike out on those few.  Then we are left trying to sign projects such as Sustic.i agree with this as well

I agree with this as well. I love west passion and work ethic. But we have got to get better at that position. Let him come off the bench for defense. You are correct beardin and griffin can get into the lane and finish and dish.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 05:59:56 PM »

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 07:37:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We need to get more athletic in our guard play.  Pitts and Kane type guards.

Offline Collis P

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 07:48:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree with this as well. I love west passion and work ethic. But we have got to get better at that position. Let him come off the bench for defense. You are correct beardin and griffin can get into the lane and finish and dish.

I also agree that West should come off the bench.  What many seem to miss with his defense is he guards really hard in the front court but once his man gets past half court, he becomes a liability - most guards either shot over him or drive past him to the basket and out bigs get into foul trouble.  And as several have already mentioned, he has no offense.......  playing an avg of 35 minutes and only avg 2 or 3 points a game........ we need more........................................
    S M I L E -

The following users thanked this post: SouthernHerd, herdorbust

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2019, 07:53:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I also agree that West should come off the bench.  What many seem to miss with his defense is he guards really hard in the front court but once his man gets past half court, he becomes a liability - most guards either shot over him or drive past him to the basket and out bigs get into foul trouble.  And as several have already mentioned, he has no offense.......  playing an avg of 35 minutes and only avg 2 or 3 points a game........ we need more........................................

Agree 100%. Gotta to get bigger and longer at the guard spots. You cant be a 2 guard and be 5’9” and have games of 0-6 points and no penetration. Has to be taylor, kinsey, dillon. But i just dont know if danny will do it.

Offline Always THE HERD

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2019, 07:54:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can we at least discuss Dillon in this post?

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2019, 08:01:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can we at least discuss Dillon in this post?

Dillon is a very solid player. He has a lot going for him. Size 6’5” and football has made him tough. Football has also put him in some very high stress moments in his career. Good shooter from outside and can handle it really well for 6’5”. He will be a clutch type player down the road because of his demeaner. I like the kid a lot.

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD

Offline Collis P

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2019, 08:10:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Dillon is a very solid player. He has a lot going for him. Size 6’5” and football has made him tough. Football has also put him in some very high stress moments in his career. Good shooter from outside and can handle it really well for 6’5”. He will be a clutch type player down the road because of his demeaner. I like the kid a lot.
    Dillon will increase his minutes as the season goes on - just because he will come to play (his a$$ off) -  he IMO will play several positions in DD system...............  I waited all year for someone on the team to dive for a loose ball....  Dillon will go after the 50/50  loose ball.........................................................................
    S M I L E -

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Always THE HERD

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 08:21:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dillon will increase his minutes as the season goes on - just because he will come to play (his a$$ off) -  he IMO will play several positions in DD system...............  I waited all year for someone on the team to dive for a loose ball....  Dillon will go after the 50/50  loose ball.........................................................................

I love his attitude. Him and cam redshirting will be huge down the road. Could have used both this year but it will work out for the best.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Always THE HERD, wlf

Offline Always THE HERD

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2019, 09:51:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Those are some good comments. Hope to read others too.

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 01:16:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like him a lot, however from what I have seen out of his quickness he may have trouble guarding some of the ultra quick guards that we have had to go up against this season.  Then again he may end up guarding a three where I think he could be more successful.

TRS
    MU 71

Offline herdfifteen

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2019, 05:28:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like him a lot, however from what I have seen out of his quickness he may have trouble guarding some of the ultra quick guards that we have had to go up against this season.  Then again he may end up guarding a three where I think he could be more successful.
    Interesting comment, I wonder if this is why he was not heavily recruited out of high school.
    TRS
    MU 71

The following users thanked this post: HERD49

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2019, 05:28:44 PM »

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 06:39:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He is as quick as virtual any 6’5” guy. And he is savy smart. He will be one of the top producers we have in a couple years and ill stand by that.

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD

HerdFans.com

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 06:39:13 PM »