Author Topic: Basketball practice  (Read 1511 times)

Offline herdorbust

Basketball practice
« on: September 12, 2019, 10:11:18 PM »
  • [Like]3
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am more impressed every time I see them. My biggest concern was not the talent level, but who would make the engine run. I know Taylor is talented but still hasn’t played a game. I’m not as worried about that as I was. Taylor is looking very good. But another guy that can do it is Marko. He may be the most all around player on the team. He just has a knack for the ball and seems like he is in on every play either scoring, passing or rebounding. I still can’t believe he is a freshman. Also west is looking much better and had a couple mean crossovers today and finished well at the rim. Most improved player has got to be Bennett. He is so much faster and more mobile this year. He is going to be huge for us this year. He told me today he weighed and he was exactly 300. But his body is totally different. He said he was shooting for 285. I told him he has improved so much already just his cardio and speed along with being able to get off the floor so much better. I said if you get to 285 you are going to take another huge step. He said that is where he wanted to be and said he was dedicated. He is a different player already the way he runs and gets off the floor. I thought we may be a year away from being really good but we may be there by middle of the season.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUtim, HerdHead, 2xBison, parshall2marshall, jordo7, wlf, LUVTHATHERD

HerdFans.com

Basketball practice
    « on: September 12, 2019, 10:11:18 PM »

Offline Kwherd

Re: Basketball practice
    « Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 10:19:31 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]7
  • Bennet is not a basketball player. Don’t start it again. You should be tired of the crow you ate from last year. The weight was a factor but he doesn’t have the instincts.

The following users thanked this post: Johns1124

Offline MUtim

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Member Since 08/2009
    « Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 10:29:40 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bennet is not a basketball player. Don’t start it again. You should be tired of the crow you ate from last year. The weight was a factor but he doesn’t have the instincts.
    You are the one who will be eating crow.  Hope you like it burnt.  While it may not be your intent, you come across as you are rooting against him.  He’s lost major weight and lost some of it while his foot was broke.  My son showed me some Instagram videos of him working with the strength coach. Looking explosive! He’s going to be MUCH improved and a solid contributor IMO. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, horsrman, MUsince96, wlf, LUVTHATHERD, herdorbust

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 10:29:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Ok

Online overherd1

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 10:35:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks for the report.  Sounds like we have the pieces of the puzzle, just need to see how long it takes to put them all together.  I imagine it will take several games to put it all together.  Sounds like we have good kids and the right coaches.  It should be a fun year.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Collis P, herdorbust

Online scope58

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 11:39:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    It’s hard eating crow but it’s harder nor eating at all .I have been to the last two practices .Bennet looks like a different player.. I think herdorbust is dead on.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, Collis P, horsrman, wlf, LUVTHATHERD, herdorbust

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 12:13:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Excited about Marko. Not going to get my hopes up about Bennett til he proves it in a game. I'm pulling for him though. He seems like a great kid and he COULD definitely be a big time player for us. I just haven't seen anything in a game to make me believe he will.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline goherd24

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 12:51:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not buying in on Bennett until i see him do it in a game. I hope he breaks backboards, but him being an average player eould be a hell of a leap from last season, so I'll expect that.

I'm most looking forward to Miladonivich or however you spell it. The new 7 footer that looks like he is agile and talented. That would be huge to have that. And the team all around, is so much bigger. We are gonna look like a legit D1 power team, size wise, remains to be seen if the skill will match that size but if it does, we might be dancing in March!

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 07:19:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am more impressed every time I see them. My biggest concern was not the talent level, but who would make the engine run. I know Taylor is talented but still hasn’t played a game. I’m not as worried about that as I was. Taylor is looking very good. But another guy that can do it is Marko. He may be the most all around player on the team. He just has a knack for the ball and seems like he is in on every play either scoring, passing or rebounding. I still can’t believe he is a freshman. Also west is looking much better and had a couple mean crossovers today and finished well at the rim. Most improved player has got to be Bennett. He is so much faster and more mobile this year. He is going to be huge for us this year. He told me today he weighed and he was exactly 300. But his body is totally different. He said he was shooting for 285. I told him he has improved so much already just his cardio and speed along with being able to get off the floor so much better. I said if you get to 285 you are going to take another huge step. He said that is where he wanted to be and said he was dedicated. He is a different player already the way he runs and gets off the floor. I thought we may be a year away from being really good but we may be there by middle of the season.

Everyone that  was at practice this week agrees with you 100% on Iran. Those of you who haven't seen him will be surprised. It seems that some on here that haven't seen him are bound and determined that Iran is not a player and can't ever be one. I'm sorry you are so negative. Instead of spitting doubt, come to practice next Tue Wed or Thurs at 2:30 in the Rec. If you can't make it then there is no excuse to not being there at 8am on Saturday Sept 28 in the Cam. Danny is wanting a HUGE turnout that morning and on Friday the day before as Obinna will be making his official visit.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, Always THE HERD, horsrman, LUVTHATHERD, herdorbust

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 07:25:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Excited about Marko.

I assume you saw him in practice this week?  Some of his passes were incredible. Even his teammates were high fiving him after some of them. At 6-8 he sees the floor so well. I was telling Danny yesterday that as a teammate, any time you are on the floor you had better be ready to get a pass.
    He uses bounce passes with great effectiveness. His chest passes are very strong and with a purpose. I have yet to see a lazy cross court pass from him.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, horsrman, MUsince96, wlf, LUVTHATHERD, herdorbust

Offline MUonium

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 08:40:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I assume you saw him in practice this week?  Some of his passes were incredible. Even his teammates were high fiving him after some of them. At 6-8 he sees the floor so well. I was telling Danny yesterday that as a teammate, any time you are on the floor you had better be ready to get a pass.
    He uses bounce passes with great effectiveness. His chest passes are very strong and with a purpose. I have yet to see a lazy cross court pass from him.

"At 6-8"
    there are a lot of areas to be interested in and one is the mid-height guys/more mobile guys and how and when they are used.  Williams, George, Brooks-Harris and Sarenac.  Same with the guards.  it's probably more obvious to most folks, but i think i have more of a grasp on what to expect from the 5s than i do from the 3s and 4s or the 1s and 2s.  i'm wondering if a higher % of FGs will come from inside the 3pt line at least by way of rebound put backs, cleanup in the paint, etc

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Collis P

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 08:56:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It’s hard eating crow but it’s harder nor eating at all .I have been to the last two practices .Bennet looks like a different player.. I think herdorbust is dead on.

I’m not worried about what the doubters think. I was made fun of the exact same way about Peneva. I know what I’m talking about with Bennett and will be proven right. We had a freshman that was battling foot problems and weight problems that has now looks tremendous and is dedicated. Night and day from last year to this year. I knew the skill for a big guy was there because I could see those little things in practice. And he is even dedicated to getting to 285 he told me. And the way he is looking I believe him.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, 2xBison, parshall2marshall

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 08:56:41 AM »

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 09:02:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Everyone that  was at practice this week agrees with you 100% on Iran. Those of you who haven't seen him will be surprised. It seems that some on here that haven't seen him are bound and determined that Iran is not a player and can't ever be one. I'm sorry you are so negative. Instead of spitting doubt, come to practice next Tue Wed or Thurs at 2:30 in the Rec. If you can't make it then there is no excuse to not being there at 8am on Saturday Sept 28 in the Cam. Danny is wanting a HUGE turnout that morning and on Friday the day before as Obinna will be making his official visit.

No offense HM but you all said the EXACT same things about IB last year and we all know how that turned out.

Let me know when he drop steps, puts his balls in someone's face, and breaks the backboard.

I'm not impressed with a 6'10'' guy getting a rebound under basket, pump faking, and shooting a fade away lay up.

The following users thanked this post: Johns1124

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2019, 09:05:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• No offense HM but you all said the EXACT same things about IB last year and we all know how that turned out.

Let me know when he drop steps, puts his balls in someone's face, and breaks the backboard.

I'm not impressed with a 6'10'' guy getting a rebound under basket, pump faking, and shooting a fade away lay up.

Fair enough. But don’t come around praising him and acting like you are his biggest fan and knew it all along. You are good at bashing but not much good at evaluating “future” talent.

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison, horsrman, wlf, scope58

Offline MUonium

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2019, 09:13:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I’m not worried about what the doubters think. I was made fun of the exact same way about Peneva. I know what I’m talking about with Bennett and will be proven right. We had a freshman that was battling foot problems and weight problems that has now looks tremendous and is dedicated. Night and day from last year to this year. I knew the skill for a big guy was there because I could see those little things in practice. And he is even dedicated to getting to 285 he told me. And the way he is looking I believe him.

bust, i think for a lot of fans it's the what-if Bennett wouldn't have been a long project, even though many saw potential.  that patience from DD to see through to a payoff (mainly size with decent hands we all desperately wanted) may finally be coming now and i'm totally impressed with Bennett's dedication that we hope will be one of those Marshall stories talked about for years to come.  good health to him!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, Herdmeister, wasbarryb, wlf, herdorbust

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2019, 09:20:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • bust, i think for a lot of fans it's the what-if Bennett wouldn't have been a long project, even though many saw potential.  that patience from DD to see through to a payoff (mainly size with decent hands we all desperately wanted) may finally be coming now and i'm totally impressed with Bennett's dedication that we hope will be one of those Marshall stories talked about for years to come.  good health to him!

He has a great attitude, is coachable and is not afraid to work
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, wlf

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2019, 09:24:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• No offense HM but you all said the EXACT same things about IB last year and we all know how that turned out.

Do you not think that a broken foot (twice) might not have affected him a little bit?
    He is as healthy as he has been since he has been here and lighter as well. He came in at 380. I don't know about you but I think I could move a little better if I were 80 pounds lighter. Heck even last year he as 330. Again. that is a lot of extra weight to try and run and jump with.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, herdorbust

Offline Collis P

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2019, 09:25:21 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I also attend most of the practices, and I agree with others that Iran has really worked hard and improved.  I can see A LOT of different line ups for DD to use.  Example with WKU keeping there 5 star center, I can see DD putting Doran (7') Iran (6'10) Jannson (6'9) Beyers (6'10) and Marko (6'7 PG) all together and make it very difficult to go inside.  He will use different Line ups as needed.......  In my opinion DD has a lot of depth potential and this will be interesting to watch how he attacks other line ups................   ;D  :o   
    S M I L E -

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, Herdmeister, wlf, LUVTHATHERD, MUonium, herdorbust

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #18 on: September 13, 2019, 09:35:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • bust, i think for a lot of fans it's the what-if Bennett wouldn't have been a long project, even though many saw potential.  that patience from DD to see through to a payoff (mainly size with decent hands we all desperately wanted) may finally be coming now and i'm totally impressed with Bennett's dedication that we hope will be one of those Marshall stories talked about for years to come.  good health to him!

Bennett was a 4 Star in high school until he was classified as a NQ. So, my expectations were high based upon that rating, and he looked terrible last year.

I want him to succeed at Marshall as much as anyone, so I'm very happy to hear that he is putting in the work and listening to DD. If anyone can turn him into a "player", its Dan.

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Herdmeister, wlf, herdorbust, herdfan129

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2019, 09:36:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Everyone that has been to practice seems to be agreeing that Iran has shown great improvement. Instead of criticizing on what you saw last year, come by and watch him
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, wlf

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2019, 10:18:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Everyone that has been to practice seems to be agreeing that Iran has shown great improvement. Instead of criticizing on what you saw last year, come by and watch him

We were Mocked in 2017 and ridiculed and we know how that turned out. Then last year we were mocked again “after Peneva left”. And although not what we wanted had he stayed, Danny did bring them around and didn’t just win a game like a bowl, but won the tournament. Now the ones that go almost everyday don’t “see” what they are “seeing” lol. But someone that never goes is a great evaluator? I’ll stick to what I see and trust myself. The biggest question is getting a PG to smoothly run the show and getting them to mesh. Once that comes around, this team has more talent, depth and size than any of Danny’s teams. And all we lose is Sustic. Going to be a fun ride. Danny said it took him awhile to get this much talent, depth and especially size and he wants to keep it going. He knows what this young group is capable of.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, Herdmeister, horsrman

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2019, 11:52:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Agree.  Willie Wilcox 2.0.  Dan's been selling IB for two years at his appearances with DC Alumini and I'm still not buying it.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2019, 11:52:29 AM »

Offline goherd14562

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2019, 11:56:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have a feeling he is going to burst onto the scene as one of the best big men in the country this year and prove all of you so wrong.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust, scope58

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2019, 01:33:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Fair enough. But don’t come around praising him and acting like you are his biggest fan and knew it all along. You are good at bashing but not much good at evaluating “future” talent.

Lay down Bust. I said he COULD be good. He has the potential. He is just mentally soft and plays soft as well.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2019, 01:36:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Everyone that has been to practice seems to be agreeing that Iran has shown great improvement. Instead of criticizing on what you saw last year, come by and watch him

I'm not criticizing what I saw last year. He might have improved, but you guys are acting as if he is going to be Zion this year. Please pump the brakes a bit here.

I am rooting for IB. He seems like a great kid and he definitely has the POTENTIAL to be good.

His biggest problem imo is how soft he plays. Someone that big should be physical and trying to dunk on people.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2019, 01:36:00 PM »