Author Topic: MBB coaches  (Read 1324 times)

Offline herd1990

MBB coaches
« on: February 03, 2022, 08:51:27 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]4
  • Should all be fired.  Tonight.  After the game.  What an absolute embarrassment for Herd athletics.  This is the worst coached team I've witnessed in my 40 years as a Herd fan.  Worse than Herrion, Freeman, White.  Some talent on the floor but zero plan, zero scheme, zero development and zero chance of improving.  The DD tenure has officially Jumped the Shark!

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, ed swain, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

MBB coaches
    « on: February 03, 2022, 08:51:27 PM »

Offline Stripeshrt

Re: MBB coaches
    « Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 09:15:57 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]4
  • This what you get when u hire one of your own legends. At a point in time there will come the necessity of changing that hire and NOW you have no easy way out. Not only that but MU has too few super donors and what how tight do you feel that one wallet is gonna become. They will NEVER fire DD, the only way out of this debacle is that he says "Its Just Time." and walks into the sunset.

Cline should have been let go years ago, hes like Doc, If he was gonna get a second chance at coaching, it woulda already happened. Corney was a "smooth over" hire after the disaster in Hurricane WV with the previous asst.

Those that thought going to SB(BB) was beneath this proud program and we would dominate, well, that just not going to happen for the foreseeable future.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herd1990, Johns1124, Flat Tire 2, herdfifteen, herdfan129

Offline coalherd

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 10:58:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Right now, I feel pretty confident in saying this current HERD team with the way they are playing, would have lost to 3 out of 4 of Tom Herrion's teams.  And the scores probably wouldn't have been very close!!

The following users thanked this post: herd1990, MUinDE, miltonherdfan, herdfan129

Offline Stripeshrt

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 11:07:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Might have been fun to watch though, on one end TH feigning a HA and DD snoozing on the other end and not noticing. Refs had to call time out!    lol

The following users thanked this post: svherd, ru4mu2

Offline Big City

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 09:14:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This what you get when u hire one of your own legends. At a point in time there will come the necessity of changing that hire and NOW you have no easy way out. Not only that but MU has too few super donors and what how tight do you feel that one wallet is gonna become. They will NEVER fire DD, the only way out of this debacle is that he says "Its Just Time." and walks into the sunset.

Cline should have been let go years ago, hes like Doc, If he was gonna get a second chance at coaching, it woulda already happened. Corney was a "smooth over" hire after the disaster in Hurricane WV with the previous asst.

Those that thought going to SB(BB) was beneath this proud program and we would dominate, well, that just not going to happen for the foreseeable future.

Very similar to the comments I shared via group text last night with a few friends.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

Offline richmondherdfan

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 10:12:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This team is a very poor shooting group. So lets be OK with them shooting 33 3's, some just jacked up from 5ft+ behind the line. I dont get it. You know these group is a bad shooting group, yet the style and game plan hasn't changed to reflect their strength.

DD's insistence on playing Goran so much is mind boggling. He does nothing well, isnt good at O, isnt good at D, isnt a great rebounder for being 7ft.

This year is a complete dumpster fire and I dont see anything changing next year. Maybe TK leaves and the ball will move more. The difference in the UAB and ODU games were glaring.

I'm done with the DD era. There are way too many solid coaches on the sidelines this year that may want to rehab their careers in Huntington. A few that come to mind are Sean Miller, Archie Miller, John Brannen, Chris Mack, Gregg Marshall. And you know a few bigger names will get canned this year, Tom Crean, Frank Martin, Bobby Hurley, Counzo Martin, are some others that will probably get the pink slip too. Could be a lot of good options if DD retires.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, miltonherdfan, herdfan129

Offline Toro Toro Taxi

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 10:44:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • IF the new AD doesnt give DD his walking papers , I would be more than happy to have a complete assistant coach overhaul. Rigot & Cline would be gone quick , Ive seen nothing in terms of "big man" improvement , which Cline is supposed to be in charge of . Im not really sure what Rigot does , not sure if even he knows .

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, herd1990

Offline MUonium

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2022, 10:48:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • the sad part is i like the last 2 recruiting classes and Obinna from the third.  i have no idea if any of them will be breakout players.  i want badly, to see DD take the program from inching along in the right direction to clear steps beyond anything we've ever had (consistently).  but yes, i have more than just doubts that it can happen under DD.  sad year of reckoning for me since i don't think it can be salvaged.  and yes, if changes are made i want an outside coach

The following users thanked this post: wlf

Offline Toro Toro Taxi

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2022, 11:31:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I'm done with the DD era. There are way too many solid coaches on the sidelines this year that may want to rehab their careers in Huntington. A few that come to mind are Sean Miller, Archie Miller, John Brannen, Chris Mack, Gregg Marshall. And you know a few bigger names will get canned this year, Tom Crean, Frank Martin, Bobby Hurley, Counzo Martin, are some others that will probably get the pink slip too. Could be a lot of good options if DD retires.

Sean Miller - He is currently the subject of a reported investigation related to the 2017 NCAA basketball corruption scandal regarding offers to illegally pay athletes for attending his school.

Archie Miller - Fired from Indiana but I would be OK with him

Brannen , Mack & Marshall have to many questions surrounding them with how they ran their programs .

With Marshall moving to the Sun Belt , it might be hard to get a "name" coach due to the perceived inferior basketball played .

Offline Stripeshrt

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2022, 11:45:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I dont disagree with either of your 2 posts TTT and we have disagreed on some before . However i will add that bringing in one of those name guys , revitalizing this program and dominating a perceived lesser known BB conference should give them a pathway back to the Dance and instant recognition on the national front IMO. Regardless I think we both agree, changes are gonna have to b made.

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop, wlf, herdfan129, Toro Toro Taxi

Offline svherd

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2022, 11:59:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sean Miller - He is currently the subject of a reported investigation related to the 2017 NCAA basketball corruption scandal regarding offers to illegally pay athletes for attending his school.

Brannen , Mack & Marshall have to many questions surrounding them with how they ran their programs .

With Marshall moving to the Sun Belt , it might be hard to get a "name" coach due to the perceived inferior basketball played .
    [/quote

We?ve given numerous athletes (football) players second chances. Why not give Brannen or Marshall a chance? They would do well. Auburn gave Bruce Pearl a second chance - working out well for them.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop, herdfan129

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2022, 12:00:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This team is a very poor shooting group. So lets be OK with them shooting 33 3's, some just jacked up from 5ft+ behind the line. I dont get it. You know these group is a bad shooting group, yet the style and game plan hasn't changed to reflect their strength.

DD's insistence on playing Goran so much is mind boggling. He does nothing well, isnt good at O, isnt good at D, isnt a great rebounder for being 7ft.

This year is a complete dumpster fire and I dont see anything changing next year. Maybe TK leaves and the ball will move more. The difference in the UAB and ODU games were glaring.

I'm done with the DD era. There are way too many solid coaches on the sidelines this year that may want to rehab their careers in Huntington. A few that come to mind are Sean Miller, Archie Miller, John Brannen, Chris Mack, Gregg Marshall. And you know a few bigger names will get canned this year, Tom Crean, Frank Martin, Bobby Hurley, Counzo Martin, are some others that will probably get the pink slip too. Could be a lot of good options if DD retires.

I like your list of coaches. I think several of them could revitalize the basketball program. We'll see what direction the new AD has for basketball.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2022, 12:00:46 PM »

Offline svherd

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2022, 12:03:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sean Miller - He is currently the subject of a reported investigation related to the 2017 NCAA basketball corruption scandal regarding offers to illegally pay athletes for attending his school.

We've given numerous athletes (football players) second chances. Why not give Brannen and Marshall a chance? They would do well. Auburn gave Bruce Pearl a second chance, working out well for them.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD, Flat Tire 2

Offline Toro Toro Taxi

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2022, 12:14:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We've given numerous athletes (football players) second chances. Why not give Brannen and Marshall a chance? They would do well. Auburn gave Bruce Pearl a second chance, working out well for them.

I agree , I just think if you hire a coach with some question marks , it can really screw up your school long term with the NCAA if he does something again , an athlete , not so much. If a new coach is on the horizon , I dont think B Smith is going to want to hire a questionable coach as his first hire . I also agree that if a more known coach would come here and dominate the SB , he would get a quick call to a bigger school .

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2022, 12:21:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I believe if a coach has a major problem; he must be cleared by the NCAA if violations are involved. I know Brad has excellent vision and is willing to give a person a chance to succeed. I know Brad has taken "risks' and is not afraid of taking a chance on hiring the right person. The college coaching scene is littered with coaches who had problems at a previous job and did well with another chance.
    « Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 12:50:20 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2022, 02:19:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would take Chris Mack in a heartbeat.  He is an outstanding coach and he was the one who initiated the breakup with Louisville.  He walked into a hornets nest at that school.  There wasn't even a hint of scandal the during his time he was a Xavier. 

Archie Miller would another one that would be high on my list.  He did an outstanding job at Dayton. 

I wouldn't be opposed to giving Brannen a second chance.  He had no issues when he was at NKU and I may be wrong about this, but after his players basically revolted on him at Cincinnati, I don't believe any of his old players at NKU ever came out said anything bad about him.  You would definitely have to do you due diligence on him before hiring him.

I would pass on Marshall.

Offline tnherdfan

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Member Since 04/2012
    « Reply #16 on: February 04, 2022, 02:27:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Who on here thinks Obinna stays in this dumpster fire?

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2022, 02:31:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I do

Offline Biggreensportsfan

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2022, 09:30:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nope.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2022, 03:10:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Obinna is a good kid that's here for an engineering degree. He isn't going anywhere. These guys are gonna develop into great players for Marshall. Looking forward to enjoying the ride.

Offline herd2win

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2022, 07:19:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Players don?t develop under DD except for a few in the almost of a decade being here.  Would anyone other than Marshall have hired Dan to be their head coach?  A man 65 years old that has never been a college head coach or even a college assistant?

The following users thanked this post: Johns1124

Offline Biggreensportsfan

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2022, 07:49:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So we are the only D1 University with a Engineering Department and Mens Basketball. I guess Obinna is here for the long ride.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2022, 07:49:37 AM »

Offline svherd

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2022, 10:00:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Players don?t develop under DD except for a few in the almost of a decade being here.  Would anyone other than Marshall have hired Dan to be their head coach?  A man 65 years old that has never been a college head coach or even a college assistant?

As the story goes. Hamrick went to Cali to convince Mike to become the coach. When the Lakers made a play for him, Mike convinced Hammy to hire Dan. Hamrick hadn?t done a national search, focusing solely on Mike, thus had no alternative but to hire Dan. At least that?s what everyone was saying at the time.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline herdfifteen

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2022, 10:24:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As the story goes. Hamrick went to Cali to convince Mike to become the coach. When the Lakers made a play for him, Mike convinced Hammy to hire Dan. Hamrick hadn?t done a national search, focusing solely on Mike, thus had no alternative but to hire Dan. At least that?s what everyone was saying at the time.
    Your facts are accurate.

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2022, 11:59:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As the story goes. Hamrick went to Cali to convince Mike to become the coach. When the Lakers made a play for him, Mike convinced Hammy to hire Dan. Hamrick hadn?t done a national search, focusing solely on Mike, thus had no alternative but to hire Dan. At least that?s what everyone was saying at the time.
    You know when the BB program was doing well that story goes that Hamrick was forced to hire DD had to be talked into it by important people.  When team doing bad the story different.  I guess it doesn't matter how the hire was made at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: HerdFanJ, Always THE HERD, ed swain

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2022, 11:59:01 AM »