Author Topic: NHR - NC Government Making UNC and NC State Play App, Charlotte and ECU Law  (Read 774 times)

HerdFans.com

Offline MUfan08

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Curious how this will look since the big push with the ACC heads and coaches is if you are going to play G5 schools do not play G5 at their place.

Online Flat Tire 2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The law has not been passed, it has been approved out of committee. It will be interesting to see if it passes the full legislature and is signed by the governor.

Offline HerdEcon

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Apparently some in the North Carolina legislature believe there is the economic benefit from in-state teams playing each other regularly and protecting in-state rivalries.  It will be interesting to see if the bill passes and becomes law.  The article doesn't say what the penalty is if the schools do not comply with the law. 

Offline coalherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The law has not been passed, it has been approved out of committee. It will be interesting to see if it passes the full legislature and is signed by the governor.

Be interesting to see, FT2, just how many alums of UNC, State, Charlotte, ECU, and Appy, were on that "committee", and then the numbers of the respective schools in the "full legislature"!

The following users thanked this post: NewfieHerdFan

Offline wasbarryb

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Apparently some in the North Carolina legislature believe there is the economic benefit from in-state teams playing each other regularly and protecting in-state rivalries.  It will be interesting to see if the bill passes and becomes law.  The article doesn't say what the penalty is if the schools do not comply with the law.

Refreshing to see that at least one state understands that state owned universities are to be run by the state rather than the other way around.  WVU would hate to be in such a place.

Offline GreenSteve

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The state of Virginia used to do this, years ago.  Back in those days, VMI was considered D-1 and they played Virginia Tech regularly.
    "The world is full of crackers and belly-button rings..." - Blue Tip - The Cars.

Online Flat Tire 2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The state of Virginia used to do this, years ago.  Back in those days, VMI was considered D-1 and they played Virginia Tech regularly.

Are you sure the Commonwealth of Virginia forced VMI to play VA Tech? Both were members of the same athletic conference, The Southern Conference, until VA Tech left the SC in 1965. Tech regularly also played William & Mary and Washington and Lee who left the SC in 1958 and dropped football due a to a football players cheating scandal. UVA left the SC in 1937. wvu didn't leave the SC until 1968 and I remember watching the wvu play in the SC basketball tournament on TV which use to be held in Richmond before moving to Charlotte. Of course wvu use to have a football arrangement playing Penn State; Pitt and Syracuse every year which was a little outside of the SC.

Originally, some members left the SC in the early 1930's to form the SEC and later around 1953 more teams left to form the ACC. I hope I remember everything correctly, I am showing my age. LOL

The link below provides a link to the SC history of members.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Conference
    « Last Edit: June 09, 2024, 12:27:06 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline GreenSteve

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes, I'm sure. I grew up near both schools and was a Virginia Tech fan.  This was a looooooong time ago.
    « Last Edit: June 09, 2024, 04:38:32 PM by GreenSteve »
    "The world is full of crackers and belly-button rings..." - Blue Tip - The Cars.

Offline coalherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah, that was back before the "REALLY BIG" Money totally took over the Top Division in College Athletics.  Some of those schools back in the day who are today marginally FCS schools were respected, even formidable, schools in Athletics, football, etc.

As noted, the Southern Conference was well known and respected before some schools left for the SEC, to form the ACC, etc., etc.  I remember way back as a child when Marshall and VMI would play a game at or near season's end in Bluefield for a few years or so. 

HerdFans.com