Author Topic: Florida NIL Approved for High School Athletes  (Read 457 times)

Online Flat Tire 2

Florida NIL Approved for High School Athletes
« on: June 06, 2024, 08:07:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Florida NIL deals approved for high school athletes: See the details of FHSAA's new rules
    https://www.jacksonville.com/story/sports/high-school/2024/06/04/nil-high-school-vote-fhsaa-approves-name-image-likeness-in-florida/73904343007/

or

Florida high school athletes can now cash in on NIL deals
    https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/fhsaa-nil-deals-approved

You have to wonder if they will have NIL for middle school athletes. LOL
    « Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 08:12:03 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

HerdFans.com

Florida NIL Approved for High School Athletes
    « on: June 06, 2024, 08:07:51 AM »

Offline MUther

Re: Florida NIL Approved for High School Athletes
    « Reply #1 on: June 06, 2024, 08:28:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Gotta wonder if colleges will pay their NIL to secure their recruitment even younger.  Guarantee SEC schools will.

Online chris88

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2024, 08:40:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • HS athletes getting bucks just to play sports...what could go wrong? IMO this is going to hurt the kids whose families need the money most. The amounts will come out and the kids will be targeted by thieves and others if they come from bad neighborhoods. The whole bribery scheme will be a windfall for organized crime at both the HS but especially college level. They will already know which kids are susceptible to bribes and react accordingly. Michael Franzese has said that organized crime has become more involved in college BB.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: THECHAMPISHERE

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2024, 01:06:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am sure there is a lot that could go wrong and probably will. But I don't see anything wrong with it (if that makes sense). Every human being should have the ability to better their financial state. It's what makes America great. If a 12 year old can turn his sweat into money mowing yards...a high school athlete should be able to use his God-given talents to do the same. The corrupt NCAA has said this was wrong for so long we've been brainwashed into thinking it is. I still think it is crazy how there was a time where a college athlete didn't even control their OWN name, image, and likeness...and NOONE had the balls to question it.

Every American citizen should be able to use their talents, skills, intellect, & hard work to make money (if they freely choose to do so) whether they are 5 years old (and have a lemonade stand) or 55 or 105.

Online chris88

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2024, 01:19:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am sure there is a lot that could go wrong and probably will. But I don't see anything wrong with it (if that makes sense). Every human being should have the ability to better their financial state. It's what makes America great. If a 12 year old can turn his sweat into money mowing yards...a high school athlete should be able to use his God-given talents to do the same. The corrupt NCAA has said this was wrong for so long we've been brainwashed into thinking it is. I still think it is crazy how there was a time where a college athlete didn't even control their OWN name, image, and likeness...and NOONE had the balls to question it.

Every American citizen should be able to use their talents, skills, intellect, & hard work to make money (if they freely choose to do so) whether they are 5 years old (and have a lemonade stand) or 55 or 105.

But they aren't making money on their own NIL. People aren't going to see them specifically, they are going to see the school/brand. Very few of them could make a company more profitable and those that can don't need NIL. It's a bribery scheme.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: forphase1

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2024, 01:32:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • But they aren't making money on their own NIL. People aren't going to see them specifically, they are going to see the school/brand. Very few of them could make a company more profitable and those that can don't need NIL. It's a bribery scheme.

Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly. But why wouldn't they make money on their own NIL? That is all they can actually use. The school brand isn't allowed unless they get permission from the school (which I would imagine every school would allow and encourage...which their-in lies one potential massive problem).
    "...student-athletes will be prohibited from using their school?s logo, uniform or equipment in any NIL deals unless they are given written permission from the school, district or FHSAA." You are right about them not really being able to make a company more profitable. But if a local car dealership wants them to do "commercial endorsements, promotional activities, social media presence, and product or service advertisements." the athlete should be allowed to do so IMO.

Yes they will find 1000 loopholes and ways to workaround the rules and it will probably be a dumpster fire...but my position is these kids should be allowed to make money off of their NIL if they so choose to do so.

Online chris88

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2024, 09:31:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly. But why wouldn't they make money on their own NIL? That is all they can actually use. The school brand isn't allowed unless they get permission from the school (which I would imagine every school would allow and encourage...which their-in lies one potential massive problem).
    "...student-athletes will be prohibited from using their school?s logo, uniform or equipment in any NIL deals unless they are given written permission from the school, district or FHSAA." You are right about them not really being able to make a company more profitable. But if a local car dealership wants them to do "commercial endorsements, promotional activities, social media presence, and product or service advertisements." the athlete should be allowed to do so IMO.

Yes they will find 1000 loopholes and ways to workaround the rules and it will probably be a dumpster fire...but my position is these kids should be allowed to make money off of their NIL if they so choose to do so.

I believe they should be able to make money off their NIL for whatever talent they have or hold a job etc....like our ex-OL who could play guitar and sing. He didn't need Marshall to help him to do that in any way. But unless they are able to market themselves outside the university or helping a company or whoever make a profit than it's just a bribe. The car dealership, for example, is only giving a NIL deal because it makes a player more likely to come and play here...not becaue it improves the company bottom line. That's a bribe. My opinion.

The following users thanked this post: THECHAMPISHERE

Offline VA Herd Fan

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2024, 04:22:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I believe they should be able to make money off their NIL for whatever talent they have or hold a job etc....like our ex-OL who could play guitar and sing. He didn't need Marshall to help him to do that in any way. But unless they are able to market themselves outside the university or helping a company or whoever make a profit than it's just a bribe. The car dealership, for example, is only giving a NIL deal because it makes a player more likely to come and play here...not becaue it improves the company bottom line. That's a bribe. My opinion.
    Lots of people cash a check without helping the company improve their bottom line.  Much worse the last 4 years. I get what you're saying regarding this issue.
    Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.  Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.  Mark Twain

Offline MUther

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2024, 06:48:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Chris is right, IMO.  It's not NIL anymore.  It's just still being called that, still.  It's just pay to play regardless of the source of money.  Actual NIL should have been a thing since the beginning, but the problem was if players could accept funds on behalf of their own NIL, there was no way to discern whether the money was legitimate or from a booster, so they said none of it was ok, which makes sense.  Say the singer Oline guy was given a million dollar record deal that didn't exist except because he played football at Marshall.  That's a bribe.

But to say the kids didn't get to use their God given talents to better themselves is kind of dishonest.   Leaving out the whole 100s of 1000s of dollars in education, room, board, books, stipends.   And even at the high school level the best were often given scholarships to private and prep schools.  That's how they cashed in on their talent.  We've now just waived all that as not counting.

They should have skipped the NIL phase and gone right to salaries or profit sharing.  By profit, I mean a cut of the gate.  I know the schools are non-profit by design.   In this way, they could have capped the money and maintained some control over this mess before it got completely out of hand.  And they could have forced the networks to compensate these kids through TV money as they also profit from their talent. 

There should be a league minimum and a cap per school/team to maintain a level playing ground with peer schools.  The NCAA should have shifted to an auditing body to make sure that was being adhered to and the penalties for not following the guidelines should have been automatic and severe for everyone involved.  They aren't going to be able to put the toothpaste back in the tube, easily, at this point

HerdFans.com

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2024, 06:48:54 PM »