Author Topic: So this is where we are now?  (Read 1801 times)

Online Flat Tire 2

Re: So this is where we are now?
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2024, 02:17:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • All of the changes have turned the "student athlete" into a semi professional player. I am older and I remember the days when a lot of student athletes used college to move up to a better life. Sure there were players when I was in college who majored in "staying eligible" and were just in school to play sports. But a lot of players got their degrees and had successful lives after sports.

I can remember former players like Tex Williams who use his degree to be a successful teacher and coach. Tex said Marshall gave him the chance to escape the coal mines and there are a lot of former Marshall players who also got their degrees to improve their lives. Marshall gave Jim Davidson a chance and he ended up teaching and coaching in Logan County. From some of the old rumors I use to hear about Jim, he turned out to a great contributor to society. I know a former Ellwood/Sonny player who went on the have a very successful career as a bond trader for a regional brokerage. He used his time at Marshall to prepare for life after sports.

I understand the financial aspects for the current college player. Most of these players will never be in the NFL or NBA so they have a windfall for a short period of time. I just hope some of them had the sense to get a degree to prepare themselves for life after sports. Remember, only about 1.6%  of college football players make it to the NFL.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2024, 02:17:17 PM »

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2024, 02:50:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How many posters on this board would buy a car from a specific dealership just because one or more Marshall athletes appeared in a commercial for that dealership? 

How many posters would switch their bank accounts or start a new bank account at a bank just because one or more Marshall athletes appeared in a commercial for the bank?

Would it change your answer if you also got a autograph or were able to shake the hand of the athlete at the car dealership or bank?

The NIL money is going to dry up for everyone except the elite players and the elite schools.  It's just a matter of time until the new wears off and the people paying NIL realize they aren't getting a good return on their investment.  Average Joe fans that make up the majority of the fan base of most schools aren't going to donate to a player that makes more income annually and drives a nicer car than the fan does. 

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Johns1124, MidlandKnight

Offline overherd1

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2024, 03:36:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would tend to agree with Econ.  A player advertising a product would not change my decision.  Just like most other people who advertise a product would sway my decision.  I'm also not sure that the NIL money will dry up.  There may be enough people who are influenced that companies are willing to continue to pay athletes.  Money is the name of the game.  Will be interesting to see how this all plays out over the next few years.  Don't think it will be good for our two major sports.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, HerdEcon

HerdFans.com

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2024, 03:36:14 PM »