Author Topic: Jacqai Long from Hurricane  (Read 1375 times)

Offline BigJimslade

Jacqai Long from Hurricane
« on: June 09, 2024, 04:30:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I watched him play a few times. Great release it seems and athletic
    Can he play at MU
    We could certainly use him
    Thoughts

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

Jacqai Long from Hurricane
    « on: June 09, 2024, 04:30:52 PM »

Offline Herdalum83

Re: Jacqai Long from Hurricane
    « Reply #1 on: June 09, 2024, 04:42:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Can he play at MU
    Thoughts

I'll be honest. From what I saw of him last year against Spring Valley.. I was not impressed. Doesn't mean he can't develop but i felt like watching him last year he had a long way to go to ever see any playing time.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline D1

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2024, 04:46:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Can he play at MU
    Thoughts
    I understand that right now he is 3rd string, so he must have something. I hope he succeeds, he's a very nice, polite and respectful young man.

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2024, 05:37:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Coming out of high school Long had a lot more offers than the other two QB. Remember he enrolled in January straigth out of high school.

Long did have offers from Appy and ECU. He had offers from MAC schools Kent; Miami and Toledo. He also had offers Memphis; Arkansas State; UMASS and some FCS schools. He sounds like he may have the potential to be a good QB based on his offers and Rivals had him listed as a 3 Stars recruit. The other two QB already in the system didn't have near the college offers as Long had when they were seniors.

https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/jacqai-long-282103?view=pv

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan, herdfifteen

Offline andy31

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2024, 02:00:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'll be honest. From what I saw of him last year against Spring Valley.. I was not impressed. Doesn't mean he can't develop but i felt like watching him last year he had a long way to go to ever see any playing time.

Watched him against Huntington and felt the same way.  Probably has a physical skillset that could be developed, but it will take time.  He did not look good against HHS.

The following users thanked this post: Herdalum83

Online hookem herd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Member Since 01/2010
    « Reply #5 on: June 10, 2024, 03:45:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He actually didn?t look bad in the Green/White game.

Greg Adkins

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan, Buffalo Bop, MicDrass1

Offline overherd1

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2024, 03:58:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I thought I saw where he got several snaps in the Green/White game and looked decent.

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan, MicDrass1

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2024, 04:53:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Up and coming dual-threat QB. Needs experience, but talented.

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan, herdfan129, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline svherd

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2024, 05:34:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He didn't start the latter part of Hurricanes season last fall. They put the 2022 starter in. That said, hope he develops well for us. We need a good QB in the worst way

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

Offline Grazing Marco

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2024, 07:17:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I thought he held his own in the Green and White game going against the 2s and 3s. Looked like a guy that could develop but I did not think he looked like someone who would contribute this year.

I did not know he got benched in his senior season in high school. That is a troubling thought.

The following users thanked this post: ed swain, BigJimslade

Online ru4mu2

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2024, 06:46:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He didn't start the latter part of Hurricanes season last fall. They put the 2022 starter in. That said, hope he develops well for us. We need a good QB in the worst way
    Not sure if this is accurate.  I believe he started every game.  He did get pulled vs playoff loss to Parkersburg but not sure if that was injury related.  All of Hurricane's stats are on Maxpreps.com https://www.maxpreps.com/wv/hurricane/hurricane-redskins/football/23-24/stats/#Player

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2024, 07:26:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would think Long must have potential if ECU; Appy; Arkansas State; Memphis; Toledo and Miami of O offered him out of high school. He played his junior year Archbishop Hoban in Akron which seemed to have a running offense? I know nothing about high school football in Ohio and the quality of play in a Division 2 level program? Maybe some of the posters can enlighten me on the quality of play at that level?

"Long, who is 6-2 and 200 pounds, helped Hoban finish as the Division II state runner-up with a 14-2 record last season. He completed 132 of 201 passes for 1,913 yards and 15 TDs in an offense featuring running back Lamar Sperling, Ohio's 2022 Mr. Football. Sperling recently graduated from Hoban."
    https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2023/06/05/massillon-football-daone-owens-transfers-copley-jacqai-long-transfers-hurricane-hoban-high-school/70287643007/

The following users thanked this post: svherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2024, 07:26:37 AM »

Online chris88

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2024, 09:07:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would think Long must have potential if ECU; Appy; Arkansas State; Memphis; Toledo and Miami of O offered him out of high school. He played his junior year Archbishop Hoban in Akron which seemed to have a running offense? I know nothing about high school football in Ohio and the quality of play in a Division 2 level program? Maybe some of the posters can enlighten me on the quality of play at that level?

"Long, who is 6-2 and 200 pounds, helped Hoban finish as the Division II state runner-up with a 14-2 record last season. He completed 132 of 201 passes for 1,913 yards and 15 TDs in an offense featuring running back Lamar Sperling, Ohio's 2022 Mr. Football. Sperling recently graduated from Hoban."
    https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2023/06/05/massillon-football-daone-owens-transfers-copley-jacqai-long-transfers-hurricane-hoban-high-school/70287643007/

OH divisions opposite of WV. D2 is the second highest division and is based on enrollment. State runner up in OH D2 would be a very good football team. Of course it helps if Mr Football in OH is on your team. OH has over 850 HS I believe
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2024, 10:32:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

He's athletic and looks the part. Just from my single game observation felt like he had a lot of work to do on his mechanics, accuracy and decision making. Of course it could have also been a bad game, but that's just how I saw it.

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2024, 11:10:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• He's athletic and looks the part. Just from my single game observation felt like he had a lot of work to do on his mechanics, accuracy and decision making. Of course it could have also been a bad game, but that's just how I saw it.

I am not doubting you and I don't have a dog in this fight. I just saying that at least 7 programs that are equal or even better than MU offered him scholarships. I don't think 8 schools would all make the same mistake on offering him, but that has happened before.

Remember he enrolled directly out of high school to Marshall in January so I wouldn't expect him to be a great player with only a few off season months in the program. If he was that good, he would have attracted P5 interest.  I do think the future is bright for him when he gets some experience.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, whf, herdfifteen

HerdFans.com

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2024, 11:10:59 AM »