Author Topic: Huff And no StudQb  (Read 2236 times)

Offline ed swain

Huff And no StudQb
« on: June 11, 2024, 12:34:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Four years of Huff and stud Qb!We are never going to contend in the SBC without one.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, miltonherdfan

HerdFans.com

Huff And no StudQb
    « on: June 11, 2024, 12:34:58 AM »

Offline carolinaherdfan

Re: Huff And no StudQb
    « Reply #1 on: June 11, 2024, 06:12:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Four years of Huff and stud Qb!We are never going to contend in the SBC without one.

It amazes me how people become head coaches in football and basketball; are paid more many times then any elected leader in our state(s), but can't figure out they need a Qb for football and a point guard in basketball to have a chance.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93, parshall2marshall, miltonherdfan, herdorbust2

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2024, 06:41:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It amazes me how people become head coaches in football and basketball; are paid more many times then any elected leader in our state(s), but can't figure out they need a Qb for football and a point guard in basketball to have a chance.

Oh they can figure it out
    But just cannot land one for whatever reason

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD, mu79grad, Collis P

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2024, 03:33:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't buy the "can't get kids to come to Huntington" stuff.

When we played at a dilapidated Fairfield Stadium that wasn't even on campus, we were able to recruit quarterbacks like Fodor, Peterson, Gregory and Payton come to Marshall. These quarterbacks could run an offense and lead players in the huddle.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, kpimichael, HerdEcon, luckytoes99

Offline Big City

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2024, 03:49:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't buy the "can't get kids to come to Huntington" stuff.

When we played at a dilapidated Fairfield Stadium that wasn't even on campus, we were able to recruit quarterbacks like Fodor, Peterson, Gregory and Payton come to Marshall. These quarterbacks could run an offense and lead players in the huddle.

I don't buy that stuff either. I think there are QBs on the roster now with this potential. It's becoming painfully obvious the coach/coaches aren't in place to develop the roster. This dates back to Doc Holiday's tenure. Add this with an average performing O-line (or below), you'll get below average conference finishes.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, HerdEcon

Offline svherd

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2024, 04:14:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Until we get someone with HC experience, who values the passing game, we'll struggle to find good QB's. WKU seems to have a solid guy every year - they place a value on offense and scoring points. Good QB's like that. Our offense the last few years has been more painful to watch than the Randle/Elwood years.

Snyder, Doc and Huff weren't big passing game gurus and it showed. Cato grew into the game and developed into a great QB.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Big City, HerdEcon

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2024, 04:47:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My opinion is, Huff coached at 3 years at Tennessee State then one year at each of the following schools: Maryland, Hampton, Vanderbilt, Buffalo Bills, and WMU.  Then he coached 4 seasons at Penn State, one season at Miss State, and 2 seasons at Alabama.  Huff had virtually zero G5 experience.  The year Huff coached at WMU the team won only one game.  A poor WMU team was his reference for what type or level of athlete he needed to recruit to Marshall.  I believe he underestimated the level of player he would need to recruit at Marshall.  We were on a higher level than a 1-11 WMU team and were closer to the level of player of the bottom half of SEC or Big10.  Curt Cignetti certainly thinks that Big10 Indiana can compete with Sun Belt level players because he brought 10-12 players from the Sun Belt to Indiana with him. 

Huff is struggling in his first HC gig.  He underestimated the talent level he would need to recruit, he underestimated the quality of coordinator and assistant coaches he would need, he and his staff haven't been able to identify and recruit the talent needed to right the ship, and now he is trying to scheme his way out of the situation.  I hope he is successful, but its been painful to watch.

That is my conspiracy theory for the day.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93, parshall2marshall, svherd

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2024, 04:54:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A good coaching staff can recruit a good QB to Marshall.  It's just a matter of identifying talent or potential and developing it.  Identifying and developing talent is where Huff is struggling.  Bringing in QB talent that is injured and hoping the QB can get over the injury and play a full season hasn't worked.  If other G5 schools can do it then Marshall can do it.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Johns1124

Online whf

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2024, 05:04:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I guess I am an outlier in this thread, and perhaps even on this board; I heard the man say himself that we are building a team and program TO BE THE G5 REPRESENTATIVE to the NYD game.  I think he knows he needs a QB, for goodness sake, and has the ability to get one.  I also feel he has young men in town who can win with the team he has assembled.  We'll see, I could be wrong, but coaching will tell.  Why so many think we have no talent at QB is beyond me.
    « Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 03:33:20 PM by whf »

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #9 on: June 11, 2024, 09:16:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We haven't had a really good QB since Cato, though Colombi was good until his hand was injured.

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2024, 09:46:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huff came to us as a RB coach.  He's had good RBs.

Gilbert was obsessed with getting someone from Mississippi State. 
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Offline banker

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2024, 12:48:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I guess I am an outlier in this thread, and perhaps even on this board; I heard the man say himself that we are building a team and program TO THE G5 REPRESENTATIVE to the NYD game.  I think he knows he needs a QB, for goodness sake, and has the ability to get one.  I also feel he has young men in town who can win with the team he has assembled.  We'll see, I could be wrong, but coaching will tell.  Why so many think we have no talent at QB is beyond me.

We may have QB talent, but at this point, based on all evidence to date, that?s a hope at best.

We brought in a lot of players, but a bunch of new guys, even if talented, take time to learn to play together. Our returning talent, guys that actually impacted the game last year, is very thin. We lost our best Dline players, best linebackers and best secondary players. We lost over 70% of our offensive production.  It?s more likely we go 3-9 than 9-3. I hate that because I?m not getting any younger and really want to see us win.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2024, 12:48:23 AM »

Offline mubowhunter

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2024, 12:59:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Until we get someone with HC experience, who values the passing game, we'll struggle to find good QB's. WKU seems to have a solid guy every year - they place a value on offense and scoring points. Good QB's like that. Our offense the last few years has been more painful to watch than the Randle/Elwood years.

Snyder, Doc and Huff weren't big passing game gurus and it showed. Cato grew into the game and developed into a great QB.

And all 3 with zero head coaching experience coming in.  I honestly don?t know what our administration the past 20 years have been thinking?  I?m going to start a weight loss company and hire the biggest Sal cat I can find to lead us to failure. Lately our leaders have been some kind of stupid.
    « Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 01:01:04 AM by mubowhunter »

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline Lord Haw-Haw

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2024, 01:27:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huff came to us as a RB coach.  He's had good RBs.

Gilbert was obsessed with getting someone from Mississippi State.
    I did not realize this connection. Gilbert's obsessions have gone far to deplete the success of Marshall football.

Offline MUonium

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2024, 07:41:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • it's a shame to think we have to settle for a QB who is not more of a complete package.  is it just my perception that QBs seem to be less mature, underdeveloped overall than a few decades ago?  has the game gotten that much more complicated or that we're in an era where D's have gained the upper hand?

maybe some have an answer- 
    how many CFB coaches were former QB coaches?
    how many teams over the years had a dedicated QB coach? 
    or, a multi-position/multi-task coach with QB as the first/main priority?

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2024, 07:58:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My opinion is, Huff coached at 3 years at Tennessee State then one year at each of the following schools: Maryland, Hampton, Vanderbilt, Buffalo Bills, and WMU.  Then he coached 4 seasons at Penn State, one season at Miss State, and 2 seasons at Alabama.  Huff had virtually zero G5 experience.  The year Huff coached at WMU the team won only one game.  A poor WMU team was his reference for what type or level of athlete he needed to recruit to Marshall.  I believe he underestimated the level of player he would need to recruit at Marshall.  We were on a higher level than a 1-11 WMU team and were closer to the level of player of the bottom half of SEC or Big10.  Curt Cignetti certainly thinks that Big10 Indiana can compete with Sun Belt level players because he brought 10-12 players from the Sun Belt to Indiana with him. 

Huff is struggling in his first HC gig.  He underestimated the talent level he would need to recruit, he underestimated the quality of coordinator and assistant coaches he would need, he and his staff haven't been able to identify and recruit the talent needed to right the ship, and now he is trying to scheme his way out of the situation.  I hope he is successful, but its been painful to watch.

That is my conspiracy theory for the day.

I don't know about your theory. Jim Donnan's only coaching experience, at the time. were at P5 schools. Pruett's only had one year at Tulane and the rest were at P5 schools. Chaump's only head college coaching experience was at a lower division IUP and at Ohio State and in the NFL. All three knew that when they came in to Marshall they weren't going to be recruiting P5 players and that they had to recruit players at Marshall's level. Even Billy Donavan knew the level of players he needed to recruit to win in the SC where not UK types.

My conspiracy theory is that a good coach can recruit players and be successful at any level. I had high hopes for Huff when he arrived. My biggest disappointment has been his inability to recruit a good QB that didn't get hurt.
    « Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 08:09:11 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93, Johns1124

Offline MUonium

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2024, 08:05:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My conspiracy theory is that a good coach can recruit players and be successful at any level. I had high hopes for Huff when he arrived. My biggest disappointment has been his inability to recruit a good QB that didn't get hurt.

that's part of why QB and OL go hand in hand.  and just for starters, don't pick up QBs that have had certain injuries (not saying this was always the case).  do more extensive homework, i guess

Offline MUther

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2024, 11:29:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • that's part of why QB and OL go hand in hand.  and just for starters, don't pick up QBs that have had certain injuries (not saying this was always the case).  do more extensive homework, i guess

Huff came in expecting to have Wells for basically his whole contract.  No one knew that Wells would become a turnover machine and no one knew the new "life" expectancy for a recruit would be half a season, now.  The transfer repercussions for teams have happened within Huff's career here.  He wasn't ready to have to install a new offense and kept our former OC, Cramsey, to help prevent needing to.  It didn't work out and he was slow to adjust to his new reality.  If Wells had been what it looked like he was going to be and this was five years earlier before people left at the drop of a hat we are having different conversations right now. 

Still not sure he has done enough on the offense side of the ball to make us better.  I don't feel like anything has really punched and said we're going to be better.  Retaining Cramsey and following that with an internal hire set us way back, coupled with a lack of recruiting for the passing game.  I also feel if he'd given the Oline as much attention as the Dline, we'd have had a very different outcome.  Especially considering Huff is an Oline guy as a player.

Point is he had to learn to do things that no other coach has been required to do in our history with NIL and the Portal.  He's adjusted well but hasn't hit all the marks on O.  Hoping we get a last minute miracle at QB and rest of ithas been taken care of more than it appears. 

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2, gochneaur645

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2024, 03:38:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I see 4-8

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2024, 06:34:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Offline MUonium

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2024, 10:19:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "Huff has been telling people on the coaches tour that he believes this year will be his best team, hard to see that when QB position is really unsettled."

yep 
    but i sincerely hope he kills it for an extension or a new gig

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2024, 11:50:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think there are QBs on the roster now with this potential.

"Potential means you haven't done anything yet!" - Chad Pennington

Seriously though, I want to make the observation that when Marshall does not have a dedicated QB coach the offense has more often that not, if not exclusively, tanked. Some stud MU RB's may have lessened the pain somewhat over time but if anyone can refute this hypothesis be my guest.

The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

The following users thanked this post: elginherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2024, 11:50:04 AM »

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2024, 03:33:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I recall him scrambling around back there a fair amount and THEN generally finding someone
    Lord I miss that kind of stuff
    Making stuff happen
    We suck at that lately

Offline herdinphilly

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2024, 04:14:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It amazes me how people become head coaches in football and basketball; are paid more many times then any elected leader in our state(s), but can't figure out they need a Qb for football and a point guard in basketball to have a chance.
    Seriously! Don't they know that they're growing on trees?! Clueless!

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2024, 04:43:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Seriously! Don't they know that they're growing on trees?! Clueless!

Well guards are the easiest position to fill in basketball. Big men are much harder just like OL and DL in football. Danny thought he could take a shooter (Curfman) and make him a PG. when that didn't work he thought he could take a 6'9" kid and make him a PG. and don't say he got blindsided by Taylor leaving late because the staff begged him to go after a PG in case Andy left and he wouldn't do it. Now CJ has been trying but hasn't had any luck which baffles me. We haven't had a true PG that could really run the team and create since Elmore. And before that it was probably Pitts. Amazing!!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2024, 04:43:38 PM »