Author Topic: NHR Jerry West Passes At 86  (Read 579 times)

Online Flat Tire 2

NHR Jerry West Passes At 86
« on: June 12, 2024, 11:11:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know he was a wvu grad, but he was an iconic figure for most West Virginians. I remember as a child my parents let me stay up late watching the 1959 NCAA championship where Cal beat wvu 71-70. I got Jerry and Fred Schaus (Jerry's coach at wvu) autographs that summer at the Olympic Pool in Huntington. My memory is fuzzy, but there was a summer basketball league at the pool. I think Leo Byrd and Hal Greer played at the pool that summer.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-legend-jerry-west-dies-at-age-86-134646038.html
    « Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 12:30:25 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, chris88, Herd2believe, coalherd

HerdFans.com

NHR Jerry West Passes At 86
    « on: June 12, 2024, 11:11:11 AM »

Offline MUther

Re: NHR Jerry West Passes At 86
    « Reply #1 on: June 12, 2024, 11:35:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dang, you're old.  That would have been something to see!

Offline herdfifteen

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2024, 12:24:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Cabin Creek WV correct? Use to be a sign on the turnpike acknowledging his birthplace but it was removed and I always wondered why. Thought maybe it was at his request. My cousin played in the WV high school all star game with Jerry on the squad. Jerry brought enormous attention to our state.

Offline MUPE84

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2024, 01:18:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My Dad played at Huntington East High School and Graduated in 1955.  The very next year he went to watch HEHS play against East Bank in the regional finals.  HEHS had a 1 point lead with around 5 seconds to go and on a jump ball situation West tipped the ball to a player that had gotten behind the HEHS defenders and layed the ball in for a 1 point win.  East Bank went on to win the state championship that year.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2024, 01:29:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know he was a wvu grad, but he was an iconic figure for most West Virginians. I remember as a child my parents let me stay up late watching the 1959 NCAA championship where Cal beat wvu 71-70. I got Jerry and Fred Schaus (Jerry's coach at wvu) autographs that summer at the Olympic Pool in Huntington. My memory is fuzzy, but there was a summer basketball league at the pool. I think Leo Byrd and Hal Greer played at the pool that summer.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-legend-jerry-west-dies-at-age-86-134646038.html

FT2, was a young teen in 59 who stayed up and watched WVU lose that cliff hanger.  Was upset since it was such a squeaker and the EERS lost, but the fact was that they had NO answer for CAL's 6'10" center, Darrell Imhoff!  Willie Akers, the WVU counterpart, was "allegedly" 6'5"!!

West's passing leaves a decreasing number of what could easily be tabbed as West Virginia's "Hich School Basketball Royalty" in the last 50-75 years:  the likes of Greer, West, Willie Akers, Akers' High School coach at Mullens, Louis D'Antoni, and, of course D'Antoni's sons, Dan and Mike, a Coach or two at Beckley, same at Huntington High and East, Lou Romano at Charleston High, Jennings Boyd at Northfork, and no doubt a few more!!  Been some great HS ball in this "small" State over that period, IMO!!

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2024, 11:53:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have SiriusXM radio due to my traverses around the DMV highways and biways.

At any rate, I listened on NBA radio the other day when West died. They had some great content (much to my surprise) and some really good interviews. They interviewed Rod Thorn live and it was really an interesting interview. They also replayed an interview where James Worthy interviewed West for an hour.

West didn't sleep for two straight nights after they lost the national championship. He also suffered from depression throughout his life. They talked of his hatred of the Celtics. Thorn said it was ironic that on the week of his death that the Celtics would likely win the NBA championship but doing it with a WVU grad at the helm.

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2024, 11:55:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • West didn't sleep for two straight nights after they lost the national championship.

I wouldn't sleep for way more than two straight nights if they won a national championship.

Offline svherd

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2024, 12:34:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great segment yesterday on Metro News Talkline with DD talking about West, Willie Akers, and all the great players that came out of Mullens. He ended the segment with -
    "Go Herd!"

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: jdonaccbus

Offline coalherd

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2024, 11:20:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, I actually like the chances and possibility that Herd Basketball will really "GO" now that Danny Boy is no longer at the helm!!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2024, 11:20:42 PM »