Author Topic: Spears son joins Herd bball  (Read 2313 times)

Offline mubowhunter

Re: Spears son joins Herd bball
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2024, 08:04:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I haven?t seen the dude play but I bet you he won?t be near as bad as our past 0* recruits

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2024, 08:04:05 PM »

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2024, 08:51:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He was incorrectly listed in that NY Times article. They did a correction on that and admitted to identifying the wrong passenger in the car. He shouldn't come here with any shadows. He should be embraced.

Spears played on a Final Four team that gave UConn a decent game. He played with some talent.

If he is a walkon, then this is nothing but a bonus at this point. If he earned a scholarship with Alabama, then he has a great shot to get quality minutes here. Bama's talent on the roster compared to what Corny got left with is night & day.

We are in a conference where we should be competing for a top four seed most seasons. There was no excuse for us to be as bad as we were this past season. I thought some of the losses were just flat out horrible. If Corny can fill these two scholarships with some decent players, we have a chance to compete for a top seed.

I like getting a player that knows how to win. Spears has been a part of a winner in HS and played for a demanding coach at Bama.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, parshall2marshall, HerdEcon, chris88, overherd1

Offline coalherd

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2024, 01:07:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Heck, if his first instinct on offense is NOT to jack up a Quick, Wild and Often Errant Trey, he is a leg up, if not more, on about HALF or more of the players at his position brought in by Danny Boy!!!

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2024, 03:03:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herd has a long history of nepotism, so not throwing any shade.   I can only find one video of the kid (making a 3 pt).  So I don't have much hope he contributes, but not rooting against the kid's opportunity.  #whatever
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2024, 09:31:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thank you for confirming he is walking on and you know the process of it.

Of course he will get his schooling paid for, pretty common for coaches and employees children if they are in good academic position.

Marshall doesn't have that type of program.  Kids of professors and coaches pay full rate that they are eligible for
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Offline GoHerd35

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2024, 09:55:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall doesn't have that type of program.  Kids of professors and coaches pay full rate that they are eligible for

Marshall has the Employee Tuition Assistance Program . . . "which allows students who are dependent children of Marshall University employees to obtain a college degree at the University at a significantly reduced cost to the student and the student?s family. The Employee Tuition Assistance Program will provide a tuition remission benefit to all qualified dependent children of eligible University employees."

What the reduction in rate is, the board of governors policy doesn't say.

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, chris88, miltonherdfan

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2024, 10:09:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall doesn't have that type of program.  Kids of professors and coaches pay full rate that they are eligible for

https://www.marshall.edu/human-resources/benefits/education-assistance-for-employees-and-dependents/

See link above

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2024, 11:07:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So he gets a reduced cost for tuition. Plus he pays instate rates.

I would bet his father contributes to the Big Green and the Marshall U Foundation.
    « Last Edit: June 14, 2024, 11:14:33 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline whf

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2024, 12:37:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Know from personal experience inside the family that this post is incorrect.

Offline bighat

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2024, 01:08:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Who cares if he gets special rates?  The area students get special rates.

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2024, 01:17:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Who cares if he gets special rates?  The area students get special rates.

Obviously you do or you would not have posted in this thread.

Believe most are just correcting that even if Spears is coming here as a walk-on, he isn't getting special privileges that are not currently available to Marshall employees and their kids for schooling.

Anyways, welcome Spears and hope you help the team!

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2024, 10:36:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Know from personal experience inside the family that this post is incorrect.

I apologize.  I called the Gen Counsel's office and was told that this is a 2022 program.  Another Brad Smith improvement!
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: svherd, VA Herd Fan

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2024, 10:36:19 AM »

Offline Lord Haw-Haw

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2024, 12:29:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • From the Capstone to Marshall University. He might want to re-consider.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2024, 12:29:42 AM »