Author Topic: DEADSPIN: Striking Photos From Inside The Abandoned Silverdome  (Read 1395 times)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
  • Franchise Owner
  • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Curbed Detroit and DetroitUrbex collaborated on an exploration of the Pontiac Silverdome, former home of the Lions, Pistons, and Wrestlemania III. Their photos of the ruined and abandoned stadium are depressing, but in way, there's also something serene about them.

The Silverdome stopped seeing regular usage after the Lions moved to Ford Field in 2002, and maintenance costs led the city of Pontiac to put it up for sale in 2009. The 80,000-seat stadium, which was completed in 1975 for $55.7 million (about $245 million in today's dollars), sold at auction for $583,000.

The new owner couldn't find anything to do with it; the Silverdome last hosted an event in 2011. In December of 2012, the iconic inflatable roof was permanently deflated—strong winds ripped it to shreds weeks later, and no one's bothered to fix it. The playing surface now sits on (and below) several feet of water. Nature reclaims everything, eventually.

To turn some sort of profit on the site, the owner is preparing to auction off everything that's not nailed down, including seats, signage, and fixtures. These photos are your last look at the Silverdome in anything resembling game shape.

Check out DetroitUrbex for the full photoset. Below are some of the highlights.

http://deadspin.com/striking-photos-of-the-abandoned-silverdome-1577478667?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

HerdFans.com

Online girthyherdon

Re: DEADSPIN: Striking Photos From Inside The Abandoned Silverdome
    « Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 10:19:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So sad. I vividly remember watching Barry own defenses on that field. Til the day I die I don't think I'll ever enjoy watching another player more than I did Barry Sanders. Once in a lifetime talent to witness and the man was so respectful on and off the field. He and Bo Jackson are my favorite players ever.

Offline exanimate

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Heisman
    • Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 11:24:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Pretty much looks like most of Detroit.

Offline svherd

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 09:52:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great memories of our bowl games there. What a waste. Very sad.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline Thunders

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 12:59:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wow what a shame. It's amazing that something that nice was just tossed aside like a piece of garbage. Structurally it still looks nice. The seats are nice and it doesn't look too much of an outdated  stadium.

And I agree with Barry Sanders being one of the most exciting players to ever watch.  The best RB in NFL history to me and I'm a Browns fan.
    Yoda says:    Blow the Mountaineers do!!

Offline Herdfan2005

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 03:32:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Lions fan here.  It is up for auction.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 03:32:17 PM »